Your opinions please-maybe starting my own business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dilly_doo

Reaction score
hey all, if anyone has any advice or opinions to offer me then it would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

i am hoping to rent out a beauty room but dont have any of my own equipment, the room has a bed and thats it haha.

my first question is about wax heaters and wax-am i best to go for a 1000cc or 500cc? also i like to use honey wax for body waxing legs etc and creme for face (dunno why its just me and what i prefer to wax with) which are the most affordable options for me whilst still being good quality?

second is which facial system should i use?! bearing in mind i dont have an awful lot of money (im looking at funding by a grant or getting a loan) i realise people like a name they know but facials ARE NOT popular where i live and where the salon is located.

again any advice anyone could give me would really really be appreciated.

thanks =]

danielle x

hi Danielle i did exactly the same thing over a year ago now and i also prefer using separate wax.
There is the dual wax heater that you can get so u could save money buying one of those and have the separate waxes u like. I personally had the white hive wax pot( i have had it for 10 years) and touch wood had no problems and i used and still use the cartridge wax for the honey wax, this is great now because i have quit the salon and gone mobile.
Facials were not popular in the salon either but i have found that since going mobile more people are inclined to have them now as they don't have to leave the house without any make up on. My advice would be to ask a few skincare companies to come to you and do a few demos and talk through the range and different training with you and incentive schemes i hope this has helped and i wish you all the luck in your new venture :) x

www.glamourbeautyclinic.co.uk

I started about 6 months ago from home,,,, I didn't have loads of money,,,,, I had bits and pieces which I had been buying over the years,,,, I worked out what I wanted to offer first,,,,, I didn't get loads of stock,,,, so a couple of pots of wax,,, one box of spatulas,,,, one wax strips,,,,so I only bought what I needed and small sizes to start with,,,,,, facials I used cheap basic from Ellison's just so I can offer facials,,, I bought a steamer as well,,,,Since then I have added more,,,, everytime I go Ellison's I buy more,,, and as I run out of my small products that I first bought I now buy the professional sizes.

Kerry

thankyou both for your invaluable advice,
ive done alot of thinking all day today and i think the fact that its on the 3rd floor of a building with a tattooist being the room next to mine may put alot of people off, so i might look for something else. do you think this would put alot of people off? i know the fact that its on the 3rd floor would be a problem for many people as its only accessible by stairs.

thanks

danielle x

hey,
do you have an existing client base? if so then i dont think it would put people off?
can you hear them when they are doing tatoos?
As long as you market it well you should be fine babexx

People differ like what hotchick said if you have a client base already then they are more then likely to follow you where ever you go, this does however put a disadvantage on disabled or some elderly clients. look at the area, what type of age group do you think you are most likely to attract in that area, it is possible that in an odd kind of way people may feel nervous before having a tattoo done so may want some chill out time before hand or if someone has gone with somebody to get a rather time consuming tattoo done they might pop into you for a nail paint or wax etc. The best thing you can listen to are your own instincts did you get excited about the possibilities the space provided you with or where you put off straight away?! x

Glamour Beauty Clinic
Affordable Web Design

Last edited:
well i dont even think this place is an option for me now because ive now been told the rent will be 110 per week if i want to rent it solely myself and not share with the owner, and that i wont be able to do spray tanning manis or pedis!!!! it didnt bother me atall that the tattooist is there as i myself love them and think they are art, i was just trying to think from others perspectives as i dont have a client base atm.

so im now looking for a new room!! GRR

thanks

danielle x

Latest posts

Back