Make up artists - advice on sallow skin/undereye bags

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsanonymous

Reaction score
hi folks

did a bridal trial yesterday (still freebies whilst I build up my experience) and the lady had quite bad bags under her eyes and what I would describe as sallow skin.

I think she was a smoker as the house smelled of stale smoke and I just felt the skin had aged a bit prematurely.

Anyway I used smashbox photofinish primer with screen face foundation over, highlighter used as well but her skin did not look particularly good.

I don't think she was particularly impressed at all and didn't even get a thank you. Can anyone suggest a primer that may have improved the results?

Cheers.

first of all even if you are still cutting your teeth in weddings you SHOULD be charging for a trial!

Otherwise you will be loosing money hand over fist having to replace products etc used in free trials if they dont book you for the day.

If you charge at least you will get something for your time and product usage if they dont book:)

I would recommed you invest in a good concealer for the bag under clients eyes, as this basic stuff that an MUA should have in their kit.

As for the sallow/yellow skin type clients I tend to mix a little bit of pink corrector cream into the foundation which are included in my graftobian and RMCA palettes and this tends to give the skin a 'lift' as their skins tone lacks pink pigmentation.

HTH

Thanks for the reply I have got a set of dermacolour concealers which I was trained with and am quite happy with.

I am thinking of investing in some of the laura mercier secret camoflauge as well - not sure if you have used these?

Its possible I am being too hard on myself.

I have got a set of five screen face foundations for yellow and pink tones so will try your suggestion of mixing a bit of pink in next time (or find someone I know to practice on)

I know I should be charging but so far have had two bunches of flowers a bottle of wine two bars of galaxy chocolate and a set of moisturising products. Probably would have prefered the cash towards new pieces of kit but having reached my age I know what I feel comfortable with and what I don't.

I am aiming to get lots of shots for a website that a friend is building for me and then consider charging, not much of a business woman I know but i have lots of help and support whilst trying to get this going and its still all been worth it as I do enjoy it.

Thanks for your tips/advice I appreciate it. x

It can always knock an artists confidence if client does not seem like their work and sometimes we do beat ourselves up about it!

Ways to get a good result at a trial is to:

Do a very in depth consult during the trial

Get the client to email over or send you images of what looks they are looking do have done during the trial.
You can normally tell a lot about a bride by the style of makeup she chooses.

If what they want does not suit them don't be afraid to suggest something that will or find a comprise of styles :)

Manage the brides expectations positively ...many brides want to look like J-Lo or Kira Knightly etc

But you can only do YOUR best with what you are given to work with, so work the look they want around their features adjusting to suite them and their facial features along the way

oooo I love the idea of them sending me some images, am definately going to suggest that one.

Thanks again for the tips.

oooo I love the idea of them sending me some images, am definately going to suggest that one.

Thanks again for the tips.

No problem!

Also when they book for the wedding day make sure you get non refundable deposit (50%) up front within 3/5 days of a successful trial and a contract signed

The remaining balance should be paid to you 6/4 weeks proir to the wedding date, as brides tend to 'forget' about payments on the day of the wedding or try and pay by cheque which can easily be cancelled.

They also tend to 'run' out of budget by the time it hits the big day, so its best to get payments done before you turn up.

Latest posts

Back