1st paying client tomorrow!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geekling

Reaction score
Ok, so it's only sister in-law but tbh I don't know her that much, I don't have very much to do with her so it's pretty much like a brand new client!

Shes having acrylics and the shellac with additives over them, (she has virtually no nails) and won't just have shellac as she's going to a party!

Acrylics are not my strong point, and I don't really offer them normally, but as she requested I thought it wouldn't be too bad, she knows they aren't great! :)

Any tips/pointers on doing the acrylics? Or how to get my speed up for a nail bitter? Im really nervous!! Lol!!

Also, acrylic and then shellac... Can I use scrub fresh before hand??

Also I'm charging £15 for the acrylics just because they aren't great, do you think and extra £10 is ok for the shellac + additives?

Wow, lots of questions! Feeling a little stressed already! Haha!

Thank you in advance!!

I don't offer acrylics at the mo, as I am awating to go on a conversion course so I can gain more confidence with them. So can't give you much advice there hun, But.....

Charging £25 for a full set of acrylic's and shellac is not that much IMO, will you be making anything out of this service? Due to the amount of your time I would have charged more than that.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll do just fine :) xx

I know it's not much, but just I'm not confident with my acrylics yet... So i don't want to charge loads incase something goes wrong!! Lol!! I just thought at that price I wouldn't be overcharging for my acrylic, and would be getting £10 for the shellac....hmm, maybe I should say £15 for the shellac! Now I'm feeling stressed! Wish i had just said I can't do it!! Lol! But I need the practice!! :) Thanx for replying!! Xx

Don't get stressed hun, think of it as a learning step :)

Don't show you are worrying or stressed as it will show in your application. Keep calm and walk through the steps in your head. Make sure you have all products and equipment ready before she turns up and have them in the order you use them in.

Maybe watch a few YouTube videos or search threads on here for more tips etc xx

Thanx hun! I'm trying my best to stay calm! Haha! Its so nerve racking!!

Iv been watching nail angel's video's most of the night already! :) xxx

Just been practising my acrylic on my nail trainer! They were horrible! Major confidence blow! :( Don't know what to do?

Take your time and don't worry about how long it takes. Getting speed up takes months of experience and tbh a nailbiter will always present more of a challenge to you and so take care and don't rush.

I've been doing acrylics for 9 years and a nailbiter will still take me a good 1.5 hours, nearer 2 if it's pink & whites

Don't let her have them too long, the maximum I would allow would be the length of the nailbed plus another 50% in length . . . too vulnerable otherwise, although nailbiters usually want talons lol

Careful to build in a nice arch for strength... careful to taper around cuticles and sidewalls and finish beautifully so you can't feel a ridge

When applying tips to a nailbiter, I stroke a little oil on the fingertip so the glue doesn't stick to it... be really careful though not to get any oil on the nail or obv your tip won't stick properly

Good luck, I'm sure you will be fine. And if you get any funny shapes, don't forget you can file and buff till it looks how you want it (although this is more time consuming)... particularly helpful, I find, is to look down the barrel of the nail (holding the finger up, pointing towards your nose and viewing it that way to check evenness and the arch)

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
Ok, so it's only sister in-law but tbh I don't know her that much, I don't have very much to do with her so it's pretty much like a brand new client!

Shes having acrylics and the shellac with additives over them, (she has virtually no nails) and won't just have shellac as she's going to a party!

Acrylics are not my strong point, and I don't really offer them normally, but as she requested I thought it wouldn't be too bad, she knows they aren't great! :)

Any tips/pointers on doing the acrylics? Or how to get my speed up for a nail bitter? Im really nervous!! Lol!!

Also, acrylic and then shellac... Can I use scrub fresh before hand??

Also I'm charging £15 for the acrylics just because they aren't great, do you think and extra £10 is ok for the shellac + additives?

Wow, lots of questions! Feeling a little stressed already! Haha!

Thank you in advance!!

We've all been there and know what it feels like! Just keep calm and act confident even if you don't feel it! Don't feel like you have to rush either, take your time and do the best you can - speed will pick up the more sets you do! Good luck xx

Yes, I have! :) Just the teaching wasn't the best, i'm planning on a conversion course asap soon though!
Thank you! Will try to slow down, I think i panick and rush! Even on my nail trainer! xx

We've all been there and know what it feels like! Just keep calm and act confident even if you don't feel it! Don't feel like you have to rush either, take your time and do the best you can - speed will pick up the more sets you do! Good luck xx
Thanx so much! Will try my best! At least she's having shellac over so the acrylics might not look to bad! :) xx

Good luck and let us all know how you get on.

Remember keep calm :) xx

This is so exciting or you!! Like the other ladies have said, don't rush, she k ones ur situation so u don't have to pretend to be amazing. It's all part of learning. You'll be fine. Post up a pic on here to show us all. Remember Rome wasn't built in a day!! Xx

Just finished! They were horrendous! I'm so embarresssed and upset !! I can't believe it actually let her walk away with nails like that! They are awful! I only charge her £15 in the end, just to cover the cost but tbh I could have quite happily let her walk away with them for free!

I did clear tips & clear acrylic as she was having the shellac over them.

Gutted & embarrassed! I'm actually crying at the state they were in :-( xx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1345305070.159692.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1345305070.159692.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 260
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1345305082.380129.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1345305082.380129.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 279
Babe ur being way too hard on yourself. I don't do acrylics so maybe I don't have the eye for them, but in all honesty, iv seen a lot worse and can't actually see anythin wrong t
With them. It look like she had very short nails before hand so I'm sure she's pleased with them.
Love the ombré shellac thou.
Did u sponge it?

I am sure she was more than happy xxx It takes a long time to get confident but you will and you are looking at them from a trained eye which will always be far more critical xxx

Oh my lovey, don't cry. It's really not the end of the world, it's just a set of nails.

Do you know what happened/went wrong?

Can you learn from it, or identify the gaps in your learning and figure out a plan on how to address them?

I know the feeling of disappointment when something doesn't turn out how you'd hoped or liked it to. We have to pick ourselves up, get some perspective and sort it out.

How about using her as a further training aid and do a removal?

Thankyou for your comments! They have made me feel a little better! I defiantly need to spend a lot more time practicing!! Does anyone know of a way of using the nail trainer with out having the proper nails?

Yeah, I think I know what happened, for one my house was really warm and the acrylic set before I could move it into position.
They were massive and chunky so took loads of filing, and I was scared to file down at the cuticle because I was petrified of cutting her cuticle.

I also am having serious problems with the cuticle area. Also she was a nail biter so her tips were half way down the nail!

I just wish I had done better really ! :-( i hate to know she is walking away with something that was rubbish!

Babe ur being way too hard on yourself. I don't do acrylics so maybe I don't have the eye for them, but in all honesty, iv seen a lot worse and can't actually see anythin wrong t
With them. It look like she had very short nails before hand so I'm sure she's pleased with them.
Love the ombré shellac thou.
Did u sponge it?

Thanx hun, the ombré is additives :) xxxx

The only problem I see are the tips are too big for her nails. You have done a lovely shellac so be proud of yourself!

Nails are hard to master. I think you should be proud of yourself for doing them even though you are not confident in doing them.

Just practice and you will get there in the end. Don't be so hard on yourself! Chin up x x x

Latest posts

Back