A little help needed for a suspected allergic reaction.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dear all,

I have just found this wonderful site on google and am in desperate need for some advice. I have had a quick surf and read and have seen that you are all professionals here and therefore the people I desperatly need.

Yesterday I had a full set of Gel nails applied by a "Nails Inc" nail bar tech and as far as I could see they were using "Creative" gel. Anyway I have had acrylics in the past and for the last year or so had gels, but from a different salon as I have just recently moved, so this was my first trip. Because it was Nails Inc I assumed that it would be an amazing, fun, luxurious experience as having my nails done is my treat. However it was not. I had them done at 2pm and literally by 6pm they were lifting, I dont mean a little bit but terribly, I promise you I have not picked them or anything, all I did was have a shower, brief one at that and it seems that they have gone cloudly on the pinky bit and are lifting. Thing is, I rang up first thing this morning and they were lovley about it and I have an appointment tomorrow at noon to have them soaked off and put back on. The only thing is, even as I type now, my index finger and my ring finger on my left hand ( I am right handed) are really really hurting, the gel over the tip looks like it is blooming underneath, I have taken my ring off because my fingers are swelling and I have a burning feeling around the edge of my nails. Im quite concerned, this has never happened before and I am glad the salon is being cool about it but its now shut and im worried that I am suffering an alergic reaction which is going to get worse over night, I almost want to take my watch off my hands feel odd. I would be grateful for any advice that you could give me to ease this over night and if any of you could explain what is wrong and what the salon can/will do. The previous salon I used to go to at my old home town used the german LCN gel which was fine, so is it just the change?! I love my nails and I am religious about looking after them, they are the jewels of my hands and I cant bear this. The other thing I feel I should note is that the whole application took only 1 hour from start to finish and there was no cuticle treatment or anything and no prepping which I could see, perhaps I am just used to my old salon?! The cost was £45 and its not the money at all, but because they are doing this already I dont feel like it was worth it. I dont want a refund I just want them putting right and I know they have said they will do this tomorrow but its going to be a long night if they hurt anymore than this.

Many thanks in advance and I am sorry to invade your professional space but really would be grateful for the help.

Cheers

ChampagneBarbie :Scared:

It sounds like you may be reacting to something, not necessarily the gel. I know we are not supposed to "diagnose" especially without seeing it, but have you got something to take to bring the swelling down.

I would guess that the fact that they did no prep could be what is causing the lifting. I would ask that you have the most senior person sort it for you. Other than that if you'd like a more personal service, rather than a "nailbar" approach, there are a few Leicester geeks on here that do gel that would love to look after you I'm sure, that is if Nails Inc cannot sort it to your satisfaction. (try Minkus or Nailstyle, they both use gel).

Hope this helps, you sound like a very understanding client and hope you get it sorted.

Many thanks for your quick response Sassy Hassy, this is really starting to hurt, I have a bag of peas in the freezer and just want delve my hands into them! If there are any Leicester Nail techs here I would love to hear from them. If Nails inc dont sort them out tomorrow then I dont know what I will do because this hurts and you know when you just know that something is not right with them, believe me, I jst know.........

Perhaps do a new thread headed 'Leicester Nail techs". Hope you get assisted quickly.

Oh hun I feel for you, I really do. It would be hard to say what is causing it. I used to use LCN and switched to Creative's Brisa and some clients that I had that would react to the LCN don't react to the Brisa as it is hypo allergenic gel and so in theory you would be less likely to react to it. It could be something they use in their procedure like scrubfresh, the oil they use etc etc. I know Minkus uses LCN and Brisa and Biosculpture gels, you could pm her.

I would take a couple of anti histamines to stop the itching etc. anything for hay fever etc.

Sounds a very weird reaction. Brisa is a hypoallergenic gel and contains none of the normal irritants contained in other brands. No formaldehyde, gluteraldehyde or acrylates! Can't imagine what you could be reacting to but it could be a number of things.

Have to say you are a very clued up client ... most clients do not know the brand the salon uses and could care less!! Hope you can get it sorted soon and pass a comfortable night.

Sorry! I see you have started a new thread so she will probably see it when she comes online and contact you. I would give Nails Inc the chance to sort it out first though as you have spent your money with them. There may be a simple explanation that they can sort out for you.

PM = private message. Click on quick links, scroll down to members list and then click on it. It will bring you up all the members. click on "m" and then find Minkus. Click on her name and then it wil bring up her profile with the opportunity to private message, click on that and you can ask her advice.

Many thanks, think I might take a walk down to the shop and see if they have any anti histermines.

I am such a nerd when it comes to nails, I just love them, I feel naked without them and just spend so much time having them done that I take notice what happens, wouldnt mind learning to do them myself.

One other thing, I have used most of the Nails Inc range of polishes and oils etc and I have never had any reaction to anything, in fact I havent had a reaction to anything ever before so this is weird, but its damn annoying, just want to get rid of these ones and put my normal ones on anything to stop the burning!

Just one thing on a diagnosic note, if they take them off and put them back on again, how do I know that this wont happen again?! I know the logical answer is not to have them done again, but I love my nails, even If i dont have them done there I will want them done again, also the other thing, will they be able to take these off and put them on straight away again?!

If the problem is just lifting then they shouldn't have to take them off and apply a new set, they should just file back the lifting and apply as you would at infills. Let them have a look tomorrow and see what they suggest. If you think it's the gel, they may suggest another system for you, but if you want to stick with gel then look for an LCN tech in your area as you know their products are okay for you.

Well I personally would not go back and have a full set done. Not til I had found out more.

I would have them removed - I mean the product bubbling up is not right is it?? and I would have 1 (one) put on and see what happens.

Is it happening to ALL 10 nails or just a few?

You really need to discuss this with the salon manager and tell her everything that the technician did or didn't do. This is really important to do this. Show her your post and make the salon accept some responsibility ... they are accountable and should be made to be accountable.

Its 7 out of ten nails but all of them hurt, especially my index and ring fingers.

Im not very good at complaining, and to be honest dont really know what to say, I have a feeling that by the morning these are going to show for themselves what is wrong with them the way they are looking now. However I cant afford for £45 to go down the drain.

They did say on the phone that they would soak them all off and start again, and thats before even seeing them.

BTW, can I just say, this place is great your all really friendly!

Just to let you know that if it is Brisa, then like the LCN gels it has to be buffed off and not soaked off! Good luck tomorrow. Let us know how you get on.

Hi,

I can confirm that I get the exact same reaction to acrylic as you have described, apart from the lifting bit which I can only assume is bad prep as the others have said.

Like yours, I get a reaction on all fingers, but really bad on my wedding ring finger which has resulted in the past to me having to have an engagement ring cut off where my finger swelled so bad. It's alsmost as if they products react with the metals in the ring.

You did the right thing to take your ring off. As for the soreness, itching and swelling, I tend to apply savlon cream. It doesn't cure it 100% but it will ease it.

Also I wouldn't have them re-applied. I'd have them soaked off and left off. It's the only way you'll stop the allergic reaction. You could even try acrylic instead of gel? I'm the opposite, allergic to acrylic but fine with gel. It's a case or trial and error. Annoying though isn't it?

Hope this has helped? Good luck anyway!
x

Hiya...where abouts in Leicester are you...? If they have offered to SOAK the gel off for you then it cant be Brisa they are using, as its not a soak off gel, Its a buff off gel and if they hurt you that much then i don't think you would be able to stand the buffing off. I think you should go back...find out the name of the gel...and give them the opportunity to sort this out. Were any drills used at all...? xx

S6CAF said:
Hi,

I can confirm that I get the exact same reaction to acrylic as you have described, apart from the lifting bit which I can only assume is bad prep as the others have said.

Like yours, I get a reaction on all fingers, but really bad on my wedding ring finger which has resulted in the past to me having to have an engagement ring cut off where my finger swelled so bad. It's alsmost as if they products react with the metals in the ring.

You did the right thing to take your ring off. As for the soreness, itching and swelling, I tend to apply savlon cream. It doesn't cure it 100% but it will ease it.

Also I wouldn't have them re-applied. I'd have them soaked off and left off. It's the only way you'll stop the allergic reaction. You could even try acryliase or trial and error. Annoying though isn't it?c instead of gel? I'm the opposite, allergic to acrylic but fine with gel. It's a c
Hope this has helped? Good luck anyway!
x

All nail products are from the Acrylic family including Gels and wraps ... so it is not the acrylic but one of the many hundreds of components in the system that you could be allergic to. You would have to have a patch test to know what it could possibly be.

Another point, if the hands are red and swollen it is not a good idea to recommend soaking them in Acetone which in any case would not work with most gels as they need to be buffed off in the main.

As for complaining, complain you must. You've informed half the world on this site, named brand names etc, so it's only fair you inform the salon manager and make them accountable. I take it, it was Nails Inc in Leicester??? If so, I will personally enquire about your case at noon tomorrow.

Looks like You`ve had some really good advice already - and the only thing I would add to it would be NOT to have anything else put on your nails untill they have completely calmed down - if you have the same product on again - and the same thing happens again - you may end up with a more severe reaction than the last (not trying to worry you). and risk overexposure to whatever you reacted to.

You obviously love having nice nails, and it won`t be the end of the world to keep them off for a couple of days (which is what I`d do if I were you) while they recover. Instead of a full refund or replacement set - why not opt for a manicure to tide you over? In fact if the salon has anything about them they should offer to remove the product, manicure AND refund (IMO)

Just a thought.....

i used to work for nails inc and the gel we used to use was nail solutions. i still use this gel now and have never had any allergies.

I really wouldnt let them do another set! you need your money back so you can go and get a set done elsewhere. also the gel will probably have to be filed off not soaked.

also if your hands continue to swell, phone nhs direct or call a doctor out!!!:irked:

Poor you, hope it calms down and feels better. imho I would not put any products on your nails for a bit, let your immune system get over the shock its recieved, then go to a professional and understanding nail tech and get 1 nail done and see how you react to that. In the meantime you can spoil your hands and nails with a manicure as allready suggested. Cant remember who wrote it and cant look because husband keeps calling me to get son out of bath. Men!!!!! Good luck xx

Many thanks for all your replies, its really put my mind at rest, and rest assured I will politly complain tomorrow and think i will let them rest for a few days. As far as brands and produce concerned, I have used pretty much everything going and its never happened before including other things from this range so it may just be one of those things, but I am NOT going to go in all guns blazing, its only fair that they have the chance to put it all right.

Latest posts

Back