A little help needed for a suspected allergic reaction.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Champagnebarbie said:
Many thanks for all your replies, its really put my mind at rest, and rest assured I will politly complain tomorrow and think i will let them rest for a few days. As far as brands and produce concerned, I have used pretty much everything going and its never happened before including other things from this range so it may just be one of those things, but I am NOT going to go in all guns blazing, its only fair that they have the chance to put it all right.

what you've used them or the salons that you went too..?

Champagnebarbie said:
Many thanks for all your replies, its really put my mind at rest, and rest assured I will politely complain tomorrow and think i will let them rest for a few days. As far as brands and produce concerned, I have used pretty much everything going and its never happened before including other things from this range so it may just be one of those things, but I am NOT going to go in all guns blazing, its only fair that they have the chance to put it all right.

Exactly, but they can't put things right unless you tell them that you think you had no prep, etc as stated in your original post. No one is suggesting you go in with all guns blazing, and I do agree that you should not go to another salon but directly to the one in Leicester you mentioned.
It may be something unrelated completely that you have had your hands in contact with.

as in, i have used nail oils, polishes etc from different brands and also in the other meaning that the salon I had been going to used different to this one, if that makes sense!

geeg said:
Exactly, but they can't put things right unless you tell them that you think you had no prep, etc as stated in your original post. No one is suggesting you go in with all guns blazing, and I do agree that you should not go to another salon but directly to the one in Leicester you mentioned.
It may be something unrelated completely that you have had your hands in contact with.

Yes your quite right it could well be, but thing is, its not only a co insidence but also, I havent been near any chemicals, or even shampoo etc today. However I am keeping an open mind. It was a really friendly place, so if I explain politly and nicely I am sure that something will be done, its just annoying and uncomfortable. I really do appreciate all your professional advice though glad I found this place its put my mind at rest. After all advice is what I was seeking and not a place to slate any company, brand or person. x

hi all, this thread has got me thinking about what I'd do if this happened to a client of mine! what should I do, if acetone is going to hurt to soak them of? Is there any way of finding out if a customer will be allergic to products you're using?

crazysaz said:
hi all, this thread has got me thinking about what I'd do if this happened to a client of mine! what should I do, if acetone is going to hurt to soak them of? Is there any way of finding out if a customer will be allergic to products you're using?

An immediate allergic reaction to a product is a very RARE thing. Usually a person builds up a sensitivity over time when being repeatedly overexposed to something.

Do not attempt to put the chemicals on the clients skin in a DIY patch test kind of thing. This is so stupid because it determines nothing and I dare say anyones skin would redden if left with neat nail products on overnight. Nail products should not touch the skin.

When you fill out your CRC (client record card) ASK if the client has ever had any problems with allergies. As you know 100 out of 100 are not allergic to nail enhancement products. It is a very unusual occurrence.

its part of my consultation that i ask if theyve ever been allergic to acrylic, i suppose if they say no thats all i can do! thanx, was panicing there!!!

geeg said:
An immediate allergic reaction to a product is a very RARE thing. Usually a person builds up a sensitivity over time when being repeatedly overexposed to something.

Do not attempt to put the chemicals on the clients skin in a DIY patch test kind of thing. This is so stupid because it determines nothing and I dare say anyones skin would redden if left with neat nail products on overnight. Nail products should not touch the skin.

When you fill out your CRC (client record card) ASK if the client has ever had any problems with allergies. As you know 100 out of 100 are not allergic to nail enhancement products. It is a very unusual occurrence.

if a client has some kind of reaction as this lady has, would a nail tech be expected to refund for problems arrising due to an unknown allergy/sensitivity. or are we talking of the refund being given due to the lifting due to lack of prep? could the lifting be some kind of reaction to the product or would that only occur if no prep was performed ?

angel fingers said:
if a client has some kind of reaction as this lady has, would a nail tech be expected to refund for problems arising due to an unknown allergy/sensitivity. or are we talking of the refund being given due to the lifting due to lack of prep? could the lifting be some kind of reaction to the product or would that only occur if no prep was performed ?

If a nail technician carries out a proper client consultation, then there is very little chance of this kind of reaction occurring. Ask if they have ever had nails before .. if so what type ... are they allergic to anything. If they say yes to the allergy thing then do a test nail before applying a full set.

The client takes her chances after that and No I would not give a refund.

There is no point in speculating on why any lifting has occurred. If there was no prep done (which I personally I find very hard to believe) then of course this would be a reason that could explain it.

crazysaz said:
hi all, this thread has got me thinking about what I'd do if this happened to a client of mine! what should I do, if acetone is going to hurt to soak them of?

I got to wondering about that one also - would it have to be a case of
"the lesser of two evils?" :cry: or what would the alternative be?

anyone got any suggestions please ????:D

Hello all,

Well I have just got back and it was fine. The manager had the senior tech take a look and she took one look, took an orange stick pushed my cuticle back a little (which hadnt been done on the first set) and my nail literally pinged off and she couldnt see any sign of filing or buffing, there were no grit marks, she said that she didnt think it was an allergic reaction, in fact they didnt say much about that at all, (however this time they didnt use their cuticle oil on me which has oyster in it which is apparently a new formula) but when she removed my nails, she buffed most off, I think the pinging one was an excpetion except she used an orange stick to lift the lifting up on the others after buffing the gel off. Anyway when it had all been removed she asked the other tech what technique she had uesd (they are all new there because its only been open 2 weeks) and she said because my nail plate looked fairly thin she only very lightly dusted the white block over instead of fully prepping, and from the reaction of the lovely girl doing my nails I could tell that this was what had gone wrong. I dont really know what full prep is but as I said before this wasnt like the old place I went to, but I assumed everyone had their own style.

Anyway they really were lovely and have re done them for me and also given me a voucher for 20% of anything else in future. I am inpressed with their customer service because after all as someone pointed out last night if something is done well no one praises it, but if something is done wrong then people tell the world, wel that is not why I came on here, all my intentions were to get some advice, so now I would publically like to praise their service, their customer service and how they handled the situation, I was made to feel welcome and put straight at ease. I have booked in for my infills and will be going back to the girl who did them today.

P.S I have forgotten something, where the blooming was on my tips apparently its an air pocket, she said not to worry but I have just noticed there is one on my index finger now, is that something I should be concerned about regarding infections getting trapped!

so pleased you are happy with the result :)

Thanks

I have just been having a read of other thread and have just read the one about client cards and signing for your treatment, I didnt have to do that, in fact I wasnt asked anything or any history, there was nothing to sign either! is that abnormal?!

So glad they sorted it all out for you. I know loads of places that don't used client record cards, doesn't make them a bad salon or bad at what they do, BUT it does mean that they have invalidated their insurance. I live by my record cards, I can see a history of any problems that may have ocurred and I work for myself. Imagine if your tech is on holiday, how will anyone covering for her know about your history, if you have certain likes and dislikes etc?.

To use a hair analogy it would be like having your hair coloured. A good salon would make a note of the products they have used etc so that they can repeat it at your next appointment, or amend slightly if you weren't quite happy. A poor salon would have to rely on either a damned good memory or a wish and a prayer!!

If you feel comfortable with them then stick with them. What they are doing is not wrong, but it could be better!

so glad everything worked out for you and ur not in anymore discomfort! having you nails done should be a pleasurable experience.

glad to hear you got your nails sorted, you sounded like you was in a lot of pain.

I think we were all wondering how you were - I was cos it sounded nasty last night... I thought how is she gonna get through the night!!

Just me wondering here.... sorry.... but last night you were in agony... did the pain just go? How did you bear having it all buffed off and reapplied?

However, I am glad they are ok now and that you are pleased with the results cos that's what you wanted in the first place, just nice enhancements!
:D
It's good when you get a tech you trust and you love the work they do... glad to hear you are ok!!!

Champagnebarbie said:
Hello all,

P.S I have forgotten something, where the blooming was on my tips apparently its an air pocket, she said not to worry but I have just noticed there is one on my index finger now, is that something I should be concerned about regarding infections getting trapped!

I was thinking about what you were saying about your fingers hurting and then about the pocket lifting. I think all this has been caused by the tips they put on you to be too small. When they did your nails, did your fingers feel as if they were being slightly pinched. When improper tips have been used, the nails want to ping off and lift in the centre which is pocket lifting.

I may be completely wrong here, but as the girl is obviously still learning, then this wouldn't be obvious to her. I know from experience when i used to have my nails done before i was trained. My nails were also very thin and ended up being pinched through mis fitted tips and the fact they used tips that were slightly too small.

I hope you get on fine with your new set and don't have anymore problems.Just thought i would answer your PS for you. I could be wrong. Also if you get pocket lifting, then yes sometimes moisture can build up and then bacteria can breed, thus leading to what we all know to a greenie. If you see anything untoward on your nail, then go back to the salon asap. It takes a while for this to happen, so don't worry too much, but go back if you notice anything not quite right.

Hello all,

Me again.............

There has been a development, yesterday I lost 2 nails, I was trying my hair up and they pinged. Before I had chance to call them I recieved a call FROM them!

It turns out that to cut a long story short, there is a manufacture problem with the pot of gel they were using and they didnt realise until they opened another and compaired the texture and viscosity.

Well!!

So I have to go back on saturday for a complimentary Heavinly hands treatement to make my nails look nice until tue when they will have someone special re apply my gels for me.

There customer service has been exzemplary (sp?!) and they didnt have to call me, but apparently and they never told me this the other day, but everyone who has had gels this week has been back in this week with either lifing or pinging or reactions. I do appreciate them being honest, and teh manager was lovely about it, and so she should be but at least they are rectifying it, (again) not good publicity for a company who has only been in store 2 weeks but hey ho, by the time tue comes I will have been back in 5 times and had 4 treatments, seems a hell of a lot of hassle I have almost spent as much on the gels as I have in petrol and parking now! I would like a refund but dont like to ask. Anyway enough of me moaning, I just thought you would like to know.

Latest posts

Back