Acrylics on children?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I let my 11 year old have acrylics for her holidays and matching gel.toes. I didn't prep her nail just literally put the acrylic on really short. They lifted and came off after about 10 days without a mark on her nail plate.
She had cuticle oil on everyday and had no problems.
I wouldn't do them on anybody elses child but I know I can do them properly and control how she looks after them xx

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

No offense mean't here. But you would not do them on anyone else's child, because you know the problems that can occur. But you will do them on your own?

My consultant dermatologist was utterly horrified when I mentioned that some nail techs are providing enhancements to children under 16. (L&P, shellac, gel etc)

She pointed out that each time they have them applied, they are at far greater risk than adults of becoming allergic to the ingredients in the products, because their bodies are still developing and their immune systems will be under greater stress.

Why would anyone take the risk???

I'd offer a shape and polish with nail art like someone said. I think it's nice that a daughter wants to go get her nails done with her mum. Just not l&p! Lol x

hi geeks intresting comments thank you.well anyway i ran my insurance today and they said im not coverd to do acrylics on anyone under 16....soooo i messaged the mother and said im really sorry but i am not legally coverd to do acrylics on your child due to her age.but i then offerd her an alternative to have a manicure with polish instead and she replied NO THANKS i will take her to town where they will do them for her....i then put ok agian sorry do you want your nails still doing and whateva time and she put no thanks il go with my daughter abd have them done there.so i lost a client but really am not fussed im glad i acted professional and feel even better for that.:).im probably being cursed now tho.lol

No offense mean't here. But you would not do them on anyone else's child, because you know the problems that can occur. But you will do them on your own?

No offense taken. I wouldn't do them on anybody elses child as I am not with their child constantly and do not know.their child like I do my own.
She is starting high school in sept. And many of the girls in her class are having nss nails, home box hair dyes, awful disgusting orange make up and and group of girls we're bought acrylic and gel sets to do their own!!
I took my princess (only girl yep she's my.princess) to a salon for a few scattered highlights, did her nails for her and have bought and taught her how to apply make up properly for special occasions.
I would rather do.org this way so that she.grpws up learning that of you want something doing do it properly.
She's my eldest of 4 so im learning as I go with her but I think I'm doing what is right for.my child xxx

No offense taken. I wouldn't do them on anybody elses child as I am not with their child constantly and do not know.their child like I do my own.
She is starting high school in sept. And many of the girls in her class are having nss nails, home box hair dyes, awful disgusting orange make up and and group of girls we're bought acrylic and gel sets to do their own!!
I took my princess (only girl yep she's my.princess) to a salon for a few scattered highlights, did her nails for her and have bought and taught her how to apply make up properly for special occasions.
I would rather do.org this way so that she.grpws up learning that of you want something doing do it properly.
She's my eldest of 4 so im learning as I go with her but I think I'm doing what is right for.my child xxx

Fair enough. At the end of the day, it is down to you, and what you feel is suitable for your child.

hi geeks intresting comments thank you.well anyway i ran my insurance today and they said im not coverd to do acrylics on anyone under 16....soooo i messaged the mother and said im really sorry but i am not legally coverd to do acrylics on your child due to her age.but i then offerd her an alternative to have a manicure with polish instead and she replied NO THANKS i will take her to town where they will do them for her....i then put ok agian sorry do you want your nails still doing and whateva time and she put no thanks il go with my daughter abd have them done there.so i lost a client but really am not fussed im glad i acted professional and feel even better for that.:).im probably being cursed now tho.lol

You did the right thing. Another new client will come round soon enough. I would be worried sick if I'd done acrylic nails on a minor. Seriously not worth the hassle.

Let her go elsewhere where they will do it for her daughter. It won't be a good salon anyway as they will be acting against their insurance (that's if they have any). Let that salon get sued instead of you. :wink2:

i agree maobile manicure,its out of my hands now.x

Well done!

And the mother to act that way is not the type of Client you want anyway!

What an irresponsible mother! I bet she comes crawling back to you after getting her nails done 'in town' - I think we all know what that means!

Well done for standing your ground. I only offer Gelish treatments and I wouldn't even do that on a 10 year old. What happened to little girls being little girls?! I wasn't even into nails and make up at 10! WOW I'm beginning to sound old lol!

ino i metioned it to my mother and i said MUM at 10 i didnt even no what false nails wer and now these young young girls want them its sad.children are just growing up to fast now days its shocking so glad i havent got a girl to worry about all these things.

ino i metioned it to my mother and i said MUM at 10 i didnt even no what false nails wer and now these young young girls want them its sad.children are just growing up to fast now days its shocking so glad i havent got a girl to worry about all these things.

Hell, even at 16 I didn't know what false nails were! I only started in the industry at 19... I performed a gel treatment on a 12 year old when starting out, without checking with my insurance (didn't even think it would be an issue) but have a policy in place now to not treat under 16s no matter what, it's not worth it!

im just not gona do any acrlyics on children and i have made consent forms with full details of treatments include for parents to sign if i do do there kids treatments.BE SAFE.LOL

Wanting to be like mummy does not suddenly start at 16 when most salons actually let you in!

I encourage pamper party's and girly nails/makeup for all ages as it is a bonding experience for both mum and daugther to be able to do this together!

Why is it that when you reach 15/16 you suddenly become eligable to have your nails done etc. its not like they can harm you before this age.

But as a boundary for me, 12 would be a minimum age for me to apply acrylic nails; that way the child is in high school and is alot more aware of themselves and how to take care of their nails etc.

Wanting to be like mummy does not suddenly start at 16 when most salons actually let you in!

I encourage pamper party's and girly nails/makeup for all ages as it is a bonding experience for both mum and daugther to be able to do this together!

Why is it that when you reach 15/16 you suddenly become eligable to have your nails done etc. its not like they can harm you before this age.

But as a boundary for me, 12 would be a minimum age for me to apply acrylic nails; that way the child is in high school and is alot more aware of themselves and how to take care of their nails etc.

I think the boundary is set by the insurance and I don't think any insure you for age 12.

Yes, it is a matter of when a girl comes to this age, they are more than likely finished growing in every way incl their nails have reached their adult state.
There are many many things in our society where children are not allowed to do things or have things done and these rules are there for good reason.
As the professional we must take care of our clients natural nails and part of this means not performing treatments on clients we shouldn't be.

Even most decent insurance companies recognise this and this is why they set the rules and say their clients (the nail tech) can not perform certain treatments on certain clients.

Ridonculous This just disgusts me.I have no words

I remember being 10 and I was not worried about having acrylic nails lol! And school would probably make her take them off anyway, my youngest is 14 and she's coming to have hers done for the Christmas holidays, I think that's ok. But if her mum gives permission it your choice :) x

I would never put acrylics on a 10yrold. Maybe from 15 with signed consent from the parent. Just a thought would Shellac be a better alternative? The little girl would still feel very 'pampered' and the Shellac would be a lot kinder to her, she could have glitter too if she wants sparkles! What is the general think on Shellac on a 10yrold?

I wouldn't DREAM of applying enhancements to a 12 year old's nails! In my opinion that would be totally irresponsible. My lower limit is 16.

I like to think I have some integrity...

Latest posts

Back