Aesthetic Beauty | Health Watchdog Warns Of 'Needle Risk' Over Beauty Treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
The National Institute for Health Care and Excellence has warned that, with growing numbers of injectable treatments such as tanning agents, Botox and dermal fillers, there are concerns regarding lax hygiene.

NICE are currently updating advice for England and Wales accordingly and the guidelines are currently out for public consultation. One of the aims is to encourage people to use sterile needle and syringe programmes to stem the spread of infections.

Most blood-borne diseases occur among people injecting drugs and steriods, but NICE are concerned that this risk is spreading to those people seeking cosmetic fixes.

A spokesperson for NICE said, "We are seeing an increasing issue with drugs that are used for vanity purposes."

Prof. Mike Kelly, Director of the NICE Centre for Public Health Excellence explains further, "Since we last published our guidance on needle and syringe programmes in 2009, we've seen an increase in the use of performance-and-image enhancing drugs such as anabolic steriods, Botox, tanning agents and the use of dermal fillers like collagen.

"We've also heard anecdotal evidence that more teenagers are injecting these performance-and-image enhancing drugs too. We're updating out guidance - and our public consultation on the draft update is an important part of this process - to make sure all of these groups of people are considered in the planning and delivery of needle and syringe programmes."

One of the proposals thought to be being considered is the provision of sharps boxes by local councils for safe disposal of used needles.

"Due to the lack of regulation in the cosmetic sector it is impossible to know how many patients could be at risk of blood-borne diseases from needle sharing with either Botox or fillers," explains Rajiv Grover, consultant plastic surgeon and president of the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS).

"These should be considered medical procedures and BAAPS has campaigned for over a decade to have this field of non-surgical cosmetic treatments tightly regulated. The dangers of sharing needles in cosmetic injectables are so great that any practitioner who does this should be considered guilty of a criminal offence and nothing less."

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• iStock_000000783762XSmall.jpg
    iStock_000000783762XSmall.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 177
i have had on two occasions now clients telephoning to ask if they can share a ""syringe" to save money!!!!

when i have told them no and why, they still didnt accept my explanation. they never booked with me but i wonder if perhaps there are people who actually do this?
and yes it is criminal, and very shocking but i suspect more of it going on than we know!

I agree, despite being a qualified nurse I don't currently offer "injectables". Even so I have been asked whether 2 friends could share a syringe of filler to save money. Needless to say I refused the request along with giving some health education about the dangers of sharing injecting equipment.

It is not just in the professional environment though. You can buy injectable tanning agents on line and I have heard a number of second hand reports of people clubbing together to buy them and then sharing syringes when they arrive. Not exactly scientific evidence but a concern.

yes i bet its more common than we know, ignorance! i had a couple try to argue that as they were intimate they had each other germs anyway!

pure ignorance!

i worry that the couple of experiences i had despite me infirming them of all the risks they didnt seem to believe me!

come with me for one day in the NHS, and I will show you the damage!!!!

Latest posts

Back