Anyone do Thai hot compress massage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippy-chick

Reaction score
Just started doing this, although trained in something similar about 4 years ago.
I love it, it is so satisfying and easy to do, and quite labour saving although hot.

Wondered if anyone else has it on their salon price list? would love to compare notes.

Also notice that Ellisons are offering coconut and sesame oil compresses and wondered if anyone had tried that out.

Ooh tell us about it chick it sounds good.What do you do?.

We do them in the salon, we use the Algologie compresses (still have some of the Ytsara ones left as well!) It is an easy treatment to do and as you say labour saving and hot!

I get mine from Ellisons, but I imagine they are very much the same principle, and I originally trained in the Ayurvedic method.

You have herbs bundled into muslin to create a ball with a handle, you soak them and steam them, then use them on the body in a series of patting, pounding, pummelling and stretching.

It does make you feel a wee bit hot though, but the clients love it, says it penetrates the muscle at a deeper level.

Their are 20 herbs in the bundles which is classed as high strength but you can get smaller ones which have 17 herbs and classes as medium strength.

I'll be asking you some questions Vanessa on it no doubt!

I know now although never seen the techniques used to apply.
Can you reuse the dumplings.Do you have to keep them for the same people.Can you make your own.

yes you could save them if you knew that they were going to return within 2 weeks, and yes, I've been trained in making your own.

Their is the Indian/Ayurvedic way to do it
and the Thai way.

very slight differences.

am writing up a course manual at the moment.

Hi,
I did the Thai-style massage course and the compresses have to be heated in the special steamer.
They smell gorgeous and the coconut ones are nice too (although they get on my nerves - a bit sickly - after a while............IYKWIM):eek:
I use 2 large ones for the body and 2 small ones for the face & neck.
The smell in the room is gorgeous and everyone falls asleep during the massage.
I only use the compresses once, as I was trained to do, because they'd be full of dead skin. Also the herbs (because they've been heated) would have lost their potency.
I suppose you could give them to the client so that they could take the 'smell' home.
I only do full body Thai-style (not a back, neck, shoulder routine) as it wouldn't be worth heating the compresses for a short treatment.
Hope this helps.:hug:

where do you train for this thai style massage? Ive received it in a spa and its soooo nice.

I trained in it as part of my ayurvedic training but I know Ellisons do a course, and I think their is an organisation in London that does it too.

Oh and someone near Minehead.

Sorry, not brilliant at geography, trying to work out where Dorset is, are you up from Devon?

Ellisons do it, and there are different centres around the country.
I did my training in Glasgow.

We do them in the salon, we use the Algologie compresses (still have some of the Ytsara ones left as well!) It is an easy treatment to do and as you say labour saving and hot!

Algologie (jica) dont do it anymore

I get mine from Ellisons, but I imagine they are very much the same principle, and I originally trained in the Ayurvedic method.

You have herbs bundled into muslin to create a ball with a handle, you soak them and steam them, then use them on the body in a series of patting, pounding, pummelling and stretching.

It does make you feel a wee bit hot though, but the clients love it, says it penetrates the muscle at a deeper level.

Their are 20 herbs in the bundles which is classed as high strength but you can get smaller ones which have 17 herbs and classes as medium strength.

I'll be asking you some questions Vanessa on it no doubt!

I did this course in the Royal Thai Spa. The Large and small are not different strengths. You use one large and one small on the body. The small is for mall places like the neck, fingers, toes ect.

I know now although never seen the techniques used to apply.
Can you reuse the dumplings.Do you have to keep them for the same people.Can you make your own.

You are to use a new compress for each client, after the treatment give it to the client to take home, they can reheat in the micro for 15 seconds as long as it is still moist. This can only be kept for 5 days. Do not leave them in the salon due to hygiene once they have been used and left they start to decay and breed bacteria, this is the last thing you want in a salon.

With this treatment there is a lot a spiritual rituals prior to doing the treatment. Its a fantastic treatment if done correct. I would not recommend anyone doing the ellisons course as they dont even hold the compresses correct or know why they are doing the treatment. The hebal compresses they sell also are 3/4 full of clay. The purpose of this treatment is to get the essential oils out of the compress and into the body. The ellisons compresses are not juicy due to the clay soaking the little oil there is. Making your own is also an option, we do this in Thailand but wrapping the compresses is tricky, it has to be done a certain way. I can send the receipe for all the herbs necessary if anyone would like a go. Also you can buy compresses(dry) from Thailand over the internet, a good cheaper option.

oh didn't know that! Where would I get them from when I need more?
you can get them on the internet, direct from Thailand

you can get them on the internet, direct from Thailand
I must have been posting at the same time as I hadn't seen your earlier reply about Thailand!

How does this compair to Hot stone massage?
Which do you all think is best as a clients and a therapist?

Dermalogica do a similar treatment, but the compress is filled with an enzymatic sea mud pack. You make the compress yourself and heat it in a hot steam cabinet.

They also combine it with a back treatment, like a back facial. So you cleanse, massage, then open the compress and spread the mud over the back with an infra-red lamp keeping it warm. You can massage the arms or head and neck whilst its on, then you remove with hot towels and moisturise. You can also include extractions if its needed.

Lovely!!!

How does this compair to Hot stone massage?
Which do you all think is best as a clients and a therapist?

I do both and they are total different treatments. I would say have both treatments yourself to see what you like.

Thai herbal compress you do not massage in the normal way as like effluearge ect, the cotton compress would rub the skin, I would say rolling, pressing

The whole thing about thai herbal massage is about a spiritual experience, this massage has been do in thailand for thousands of years and traditionally monks did the massage on each other after hours of meditation, also the massage was given to sick people in the village. The compresses hold properties that can aid sickness. (ellisons type dont cure anything) Each herb has a perpose, example kiffer lime leaves helps with dizziness.

Stone stones is a good winter treatment and goes deeper into the tissue, knocking the stones on the back is a good way of getting rid of notts in seconds. Great on the spin, scapular

Give me a shout if anyone on here does it in east anglia, sounds lovely.....

Latest posts

Back