Anyone else with the same problem?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
Evening work is proving to be tough! I'm trying to build up my client base but am having to turn people away as they can only come in the evening (after work). I have a 2 1/2yr old who is usually in bed by 7:30pm (but not garanteed) and an 11yr old daughter who is dyslexic and needs support and supervision with homework on school nights. During the week, my time between about 4:30 and 7:30pm is taken up with picking up kids from child care, school, preparing dinner and feeding frenzie, homework, bathing and getting kids settled for the night. Hubby is not always around due to long hours and no garantee of coming home at all if he is on call. I already have one client on alternate Thursday evenings and can't fit in another as I am still trying to develop my speed without compromising quality. I have decided to instead maybe offer out of hours clients a Saturday instead. However, I have just had a call from a potential client who works in London and can only be done in the evenings. I offered her a Saturday, but she says her weekends are tied up and she is now going to have to find another tech although she seemed happy with my prices and what I had to offer except for no evenings. I am gutted! I tried to phone her back but number not listed as I thought I could offer alternate Monday evenings. I do have her address and will send her my brochure. If I compromise anymore on evening work I will either never see my family or have no clients at all! This thread somewhat relates to Kimmi's thread about 'what are our goals and how do we achieve them'. Ideas anyone?

Hi Mrs Clooney,

I don't see how I can be of much help as I have never had children but have you considered a babysitter while you are doing yor clients nails? This is what I would do on the odd occasion if I got extremely busy. When I started turning clients away I had to make a choice between my full time position at the company I worked for and an income I could never guarantee, needless to say that I made the choice of going ahead full time as a nail tech, worked my arse off to get my timing better and in 4 months I am already making more than what I was working in an office.

I do hope you find a solution hun, all the best :hug:

xxxx

It must be really difficult for you.I only work evening and weekends due to my hubby working and child care.My working week can vary sometimes i have nobody sometimes i have a full week.I don't just do nails though i am also a beautician.My work is going to be harder soon as i am about to start working full time in a bank and i also want to keep doing nails and beauty evenings/weekends plus finding time for family, friends and driving lessons (i have two children age 1 and 5).I know i will find it tiring and hard work but this is something i really enjoy doing and i am sure it will work out fine in the end and if not then something will have to give!

I suggest you stick to your guns and just do certain days.Maybe on those days your partner can put the children to bed etc and that way you can completely commit to what you want to do_On the evenings you are working maybe you could prepare the evening meal earlier so that you don't have to run around later on (i do a lot of stuff in my slow cooker, its a god send!)

Hope any of that helps!?! Anyway good luck with whatever you decide to do :D

Well done Rose and doesn't it feel GREAT! I have bought a Nail Trainer to practice, practice, practice when I have no clients. However, a babysitter is out of the question. My husband would never allow it. He's not an ogre or thoughtless person. He's very gentle and a fab guy, but if there's a chance he might be home he would not agree to someone else in the house looking after his kids and he also says if I work evenings then we would never see eachother which is true. We have so little time as it is to ourselves. I suppose I want my cake and eat it! Thanks though.

Hiya...
us women get a tough deal don't we...lol since when did the guys have to think about childcare..and fitting work around the kids....!!!

I work from home and do the odd mobile run for some of my housebound clients and wedding bookings. The way i see it is this...its my job...and the kids are both our responsibility...I have done my fair share of looking after the kids when he is at work...so for him to look after them in the evening (feed them, bath them and put them bed) while i work is only fair. Its been a bit of a nightmare while the kids are off...but most of my clients understand that i have 3 kids and so although they are good, you can still hear them...lol since when did Rob have to take the kids work with him...!!!
While the kids are at school i do appts from 9-3..then again from 5-whenever i finish...mon-fri..then sat 9-5. Robs is real good and never moans about it...why should he...its my job..and they are his kids too.

Its hard for you as your hubby isn't working set times and your daughter needs you as much as your little one. Really i think weekends may be your only option...for now...when your youngest starts school your days would be free so then maybe a few appts in the day. Have you any family about that could help out...? best of luck xxx

I suggest you stick to your guns and just do certain days.Maybe on those days your partner can put the children to bed etc and that way you can completely commit to what you want to do_On the evenings you are working maybe you could prepare the evening meal earlier so that you don't have to run around later on (i do a lot of stuff in my slow cooker, its a god send!)

:D[/QUOTE]

Hubby doesn't mind getting them to bed etc... but he says that we would never see eachother (him and me). I do have a slow cooker and use it constantly in winter and I make enough in a pot to freeze the leftovers. Yes, it's a Godsend and I wouldn't be without mine.

NailStyle said:
Hiya...
us women get a tough deal don't we...lol since when did the guys have to think about childcare..and fitting work around the kids....!!!

I work from home and do the odd mobile run for some of my housebound clients and wedding bookings. The way i see it is this...its my job...and the kids are both our responsibility...I have done my fair share of looking after the kids when he is at work...so for him to look after them in the evening (feed them, bath them and put them bed) while i work is only fair. Its been a bit of a nightmare while the kids are off...but most of my clients understand that i have 3 kids and so although they are good, you can still hear them...lol since when did Rob have to take the kids work with him...!!!
While the kids are at school i do appts from 9-3..then again from 5-whenever i finish...mon-fri..then sat 9-5. Robs is real good and never moans about it...why should he...its my job..and they are his kids too.

It's hubby's salary that pays the bills. I could never earn what he makes so his job has to have priority. I have to rethink all this but I just so need to do this for me. I am passionate about nails, and don't get me wrong... I love my girls and husband to bits, but yes, the household chores are tedious and child care a constant slog. I know this must sound terrible but I just need time for ME where I can feel fullfilled and not have to snatch odd moments here or there. Am I a bitch for thinking like this?

not at all...i have felt the same many a time. xxx

when i ain't doing nails (working) i am cleaning up and stuff...its never ending !!!

I remember one time...about 3 years ago...i had the two little ones in a double buggy...walked over the otherside of the village to take eldest to school...stopped off at shop ... had 3 bags of groceries on each buggy handle...both kids screaming...buggy broke, so had to hold it up and push at same time...then the heavens opened up and we all got soaked...i just cried all the way home..and thought OMG is this my life !!! then had to do it all again at 3pm to fetch eldest from school.

Even at night when they are in bed and i could be relaxing like hubby is...i am doing nails till sometimes 9pm...but i am happy in my work...and if i wasn't doing nails i would still be stuck in my boring office job..so cant complain.

Now they are all at full time school..or will be in sept...so all that hard work was worth it...and i have decided i am going to give myself a day off now and then...to just do what i like.

We all love our kids and would never be without them..but juggling kids, work, house, etc is hard work and women deserve a medal for it. That includes YOU...your doing a great job...xxx

I dont think so it all. ~everyone deserves a bit of 'me time' or we would just go crazy. I work full time but shift work which is a nightmare and I fit my clients in round that plus my four year old daughter. She doesnt have a regular sleep pattern either due to my shift work, Im fortunate that my mum has her for the odd night to give me a rest or to fit in another booking. I find that as much as I hate doing it, forward planning is the way to go. Slow cookers are fantastic, chuck it all in then leave it to its own divices! I have a dedicated ironing night (that sound so boring!) but it makes life easier if I only have to lay clothes out for the following week instead of ironing them as well. Basically anything you can do in bulk in advance do it, you dont realise all the minutes/hours in the week you'll save.
Sorry Im babbling a bit, hope you sort something out

No, not blabbing. Thank you all so much. Just need to get this off my chest. Nails I think are something that you really love or not. We seem to LOVE them and it's great to love ones job!

I know how you feel. You want to please everyone but it ain't gonna work. Stick to your guns. Decide on exactly what hours and days you want to work and don't change them. If somebody wants an appointment out of those times, just say in a friendly but assertive manner that you only work between whatever hours you've chosen. Don't go into explanations and don't be pressured into seeing them, just be clear. They may then try to fit in around you. Good luck. xx

Its a pity we don't live closer, you could send me your evening appointments and I could send you my day time appointments that I cannot do as I am looking after my toddler during the day ;)

I am quite happy to work until 11pm in the evening as I can't start until hubby gets home around 7pm. (hubby is very supportive and takes over the boy as soon as he gets in). I have started putting James in the nursary one extra day a week (Friday) to allow me to fit in a few daytime clients. Not many fitted in as yet but lots more training fitted in :)

No matter what you offer, there will always be someone who wants something else, just stick to your guns and enjoy your family and your nails.

i have been juglin work and home for 2 years now and it gets better... trust me!!! the 1st year was hell fightin with my hubby and franticly cookin and cleanin so on and so on. he would bitch and moan that i worked too much and didnt make enough $$$, but didnt understand that this business takes time to get $$$. 9 months ago i was in a terrible car accident and was unable to fully use my right arm. he finally saw how much i missed work and what it ment for my spirit of self. he also saw the monitary contribution that i made seeing that $$ was comming tight. now i am back to work, but my hrs are shorter. what we worked out is that he will Have to watch the kid 2 nights a week for my night clients and thoes days i go in late so i have early afternoon to do my own stuff...
Mrs.Clooney said:
Evening work is proving to be tough! I'm trying to build up my client base but am having to turn people away as they can only come in the evening (after work). I have a 2 1/2yr old who is usually in bed by 7:30pm (but not garanteed) and an 11yr old daughter who is dyslexic and needs support and supervision with homework on school nights. During the week, my time between about 4:30 and 7:30pm is taken up with picking up kids from child care, school, preparing dinner and feeding frenzie, homework, bathing and getting kids settled for the night. Hubby is not always around due to long hours and no garantee of coming home at all if he is on call. I already have one client on alternate Thursday evenings and can't fit in another as I am still trying to develop my speed without compromising quality. I have decided to instead maybe offer out of hours clients a Saturday instead. However, I have just had a call from a potential client who works in London and can only be done in the evenings. I offered her a Saturday, but she says her weekends are tied up and she is now going to have to find another tech although she seemed happy with my prices and what I had to offer except for no evenings. I am gutted! I tried to phone her back but number not listed as I thought I could offer alternate Monday evenings. I do have her address and will send her my brochure. If I compromise anymore on evening work I will either never see my family or have no clients at all! This thread somewhat relates to Kimmi's thread about 'what are our goals and how do we achieve them'. Ideas anyone?

Thanks Kimmi, NailFX and Rock, Yup tough with a toddler eh. Potty training with mine at the mo but she's been a horror with me. Peepees in potty beautifully for her child minder and flatly refuses with me, but won't wear a nappy and then pees and poos on floor, carpets and furniture etc.... My child minder is on leave so I've got this for a whole week! Told my hubby last night that I'm not happy and find day to day a constant chore! I told him he'd better figure it out for me cos I'd had ENOUGH! Bless him! I woke up this morning with a cup of tea in bed and a timetable (he wrote it out last night) of how to organize our days and include child care etc. PLEEEASE don't work nights though, he said, cos we'll never see eachother. We don't see eachother anyway! I have a friend who's just got back from Northern Cyprus and her husband wants to buy property out there. She says the lifestyle is bliss. So laid back and no pressure. I want to move with her!

you know i was thinkin all night about what we all said about jugglin work and fam and realized 2 things... 1 we should forum devoted to us busy moms to support and give pointers to...2 this just goes to show how STRONG we are!!!!! id like to see our hubbys do what we do just for 1 week and see what they think. now on the more serious note what is most important is that you keep hold to your priorities... this job can suck u in so dont lose sight that we are mommies and wifies first and nail techs second. its funny, since i have stuck STRONGLY to this my clients have been soooo helpful and im actually more booked cause i know if im at work id best be makin $$$ for my fam... hang in there we are doin great!!!!

I am Lucky I have 2 kiddies under 5 and my hubbie does not mind me working evenings usually one or two and I have just opened a table at my mum's hairdressers. I have had a booking recently where she could not come in the evening and me and my friends who has children a similar age take turns then we can both work during offices hours once a week.... Is there a friend you could take turns with??? Just a thought??

I am in a similar position, I have 2 sons aged 4 and 2, and my third baby is due in 3 weeks - I am planning to do my Creative Foundation course at the end of this year and hopefully with lots of practise and further training will make a career from nails.

I love my children dearly and love being a full-time mummy, but feel that I really need to do something for myself too, even if it's only a few hours per week - I have very carefully thought over my options over the last few months (and even years) and have decided I want to be a nail tech, and possibly train to do waxing at some point too.

I don't currently drive (although am planning to learn in the new year) so I guess the best thing for me initially is to have a set-up at home - I was a bit wary of this because, as someone already mentioned, there's still going to be an element of noise with 3 little kids in the house! My hubby is more than happy to take over with them when he gets in from work though, and doesn't mind me working evenings (he gets full use of the remote control that way!) so I guess I'll get my training under my belt first and then we'll worry about logistics!

It's nice to know there are others in the same boat, and I agree that a forum for nail tech mummies is a great idea!

Nikki
xxx

rock* said:
you know i was thinkin all night about what we all said about jugglin work and fam and realized 2 things... 1 we should forum devoted to us busy moms to support and give pointers to...2 this just goes to show how STRONG we are!!!!! id like to see our hubbys do what we do just for 1 week and see what they think. now on the more serious note what is most important is that you keep hold to your priorities... this job can suck u in so dont lose sight that we are mommies and wifies first and nail techs second. its funny, since i have stuck STRONGLY to this my clients have been soooo helpful and im actually more booked cause i know if im at work id best be makin $$$ for my fam... hang in there we are doin great!!!!

I had to reply to this, because when I gave birth to our second baby (A caesar section followed by nasty wound infection, so I was not well) my hubby had taken three weeks leave to look after our first child, house, pets, laundry, shopping etc..... while I was upstairs recovering, feeding baby etc.... Anyway, after doing his chores for a few day, he flew into the room and said "That's it! Out of bed! I've had enough! You can take over now!" I was left thinking that they take it for granted that we just do this sort of thing as part of our daily lives, and when they have to do it they can't manage and they complain bitterly!

Latest posts

Back