Anyone ever said your prices are too expensive!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CazBeautica

Reaction score
Hi i had a lady recently thats had minx done somewhere else and wanted me to go do her a pedicure with minx (im mobile). I gave her 3 different prices, one for minx on toes, one for pedi with minx and one for luxury pedi with minx. Now im always comparing prices so i no for sure im not expensive. Obviously i have to cover cost of products used, time and the fact that she hasn't got to go anywhere as i would go to her. Has anyone ever done this to u? :grr:

Yeah by a family friend who's hair I used to do while training, back then she gave me £5 for doing the cut and putting on the colour which I was grateful for the experience, when I qualified she said she will only still give me £5.
Anyway I went into retail and was still having her come to mine for a cut, when I decided I wanted to do hairdressing full time and really make a go of it, I gave out my price lists, my aunts get their hair done 1/2 price if they come to me, and obviously my mum is free other than cost of colours.
She works in a town, and I know the prices are higher than me, and that she wouldn't go to any of the local salons to her house, so in a way telling me I'm too expensive is cutting off her nose to spite her face.

Don't let people like this get you down! Much easyer said than done, but you will realise you are fairly priced for your quality and will know how to deal with it next time, as I know it will happen again to me and probably every1 in the future xoxo

Hi i had a lady recently thats had minx done somewhere else and wanted me to go do her a pedicure with minx (im mobile). I gave her 3 different prices, one for minx on toes, one for pedi with minx and one for luxury pedi with minx. Now im always comparing prices so i no for sure im not expensive. Obviously i have to cover cost of products used, time and the fact that she hasn't got to go anywhere as i would go to her. Has anyone ever done this to u? :grr:

hiya!

yup its happened to me (a few times) for hair colour appointments, and once for a wedding hair. iv had girls requesting prices then saying "oh i thought you were mobile, thats a shop price" and my prices arent expensive!!!
the wedding hair one was tres annoying, last minute booking for 5 bridesmaids and a bride, no time for a deposit or trial and i had been recommended to her. she requested a price which i gave her (for a sunday wedding, 7.30am start). I then had a call at 8pm the night before the wedding with her saying it was far too expensive she heard i was only £15 for a hair up (hadnt been for over a year by that time) so she was cancelling. What she actually wanted was for me to bring my prices down to £15 a head! so i politely stated the price is the price and i hope she managed to find another hairdresser by the morning if she wasnt willing to pay it as she had known the quote for a week already.

suppose my point is people will always try it on, your prices are your prices and i feel if you are doing a quality service your prices should reflect this, wether you are in a shop or mobile. Obviously dont price yourself out of the market, but just because other people are doing "minx" pedi's for say £10, doesnt mean you should. you know your products and your skills. stick with it!

Yes, some people have said my prices are too expensive. But I'm always checking my prices with other salons & I know my prices are comparable.

People are always looking for a bargain. I've had some people trying to negotiate on my prices.

I stick to my guns, I know I'm worth what I charge. Xx

hiya!

yup its happened to me (a few times) for hair colour appointments, and once for a wedding hair. iv had girls requesting prices then saying "oh i thought you were mobile, thats a shop price" and my prices arent expensive!!!
the wedding hair one was tres annoying, last minute booking for 5 bridesmaids and a bride, no time for a deposit or trial and i had been recommended to her. she requested a price which i gave her (for a sunday wedding, 7.30am start). I then had a call at 8pm the night before the wedding with her saying it was far too expensive she heard i was only £15 for a hair up (hadnt been for over a year by that time) so she was cancelling. What she actually wanted was for me to bring my prices down to £15 a head! so i politely stated the price is the price and i hope she managed to find another hairdresser by the morning if she wasnt willing to pay it as she had known the quote for a week already.

suppose my point is people will always try it on, your prices are your prices and i feel if you are doing a quality service your prices should reflect this, wether you are in a shop or mobile. Obviously dont price yourself out of the market, but just because other people are doing "minx" pedi's for say £10, doesnt mean you should. you know your products and your skills. stick with it!

Lol at the shop price. I base mine on shop prices because mobile is convenience, the spar is more expensive than tesco extra after all.

Xoxo

My saying for 2012 is u get what u pay for yeh sure there are people out there willing to work for a pittance but I honestly would get out of bed for it. If you know your worth then don't be offended by people going elsewhere they don't know quality :)

Thanku all for ur replies nice to hear its not only me. I replied to her thats for a full pedi, soak, cuticle work, hard skin removal, massage and minx. She hasnt replied, oh well. Im definately sticking to my guns as i no full well what other people charge. Its not expensive at all. :biggrin:

Yep, I've had people say my stuff is too expensive and some say it's too cheap and I'm under-selling my skills :biggrin:
You can't win with some people lol!:lol::lol:

You're always going to get people who don't appreciate the value of your work and skill. It's your job to educate them to make them aware of how you can justify what you charge. Educate, educate, educate.

Rather than focussing on price, get them to focus on value. Think of what you can do that isn't going to cost anything to do, but adds value. Just off the top of my head - how about providing them with a leaflet after a manicure with the 10 top tips to keep their feet looking fresh and healthy? As I say that's totally off the top of my head but you can hopefully see where I'm coming from.

I'm in the salon software business rather than owning a salon - at the moment I'm open to any salons testing it. Occasionally I've had a few salon owners saying it's not the cheapest system around.... quite frankly the lowest price is irrelevant to me. My aim is to help salon owners grow their business as much as possible. I'm helping them to see it as an investment - where they'll make more money back than they pay - rather than a cost.

Last edited:
One of my regular customers told me that I'm expensive (and she is a very wealthy house wife) because I charge £45 for 1hr massage! which btw I always extend for her for additional 20min free of charge!

I was gobsmacked!

It upset me but again some people will be always trying to get things cheaper! So I'm sticking to my prices and guns :)

I'm mobile and in my area you pay this much or more for a massage in the salon!

Plus I go to her late in the evenings which not many would be bothered doing!

One of my regular customers told me that I'm expensive (and she is a very wealthy house wife) because I charge £45 for 1hr massage! which btw I always extend for her for additional 20min free of charge!

I was gobsmacked!

It upset me but again some people will be always trying to get things cheaper! So I'm sticking to my prices and guns :)

I'm mobile and in my area you pay this much or more for a massage in the salon!

Plus I go to her late in the evenings which not many would be bothered doing!

So just like the client who has free nails done & they dont look after or appreciate them, you have given away free service time of 20 minutes and all for nothing... Learn from this mistake & learn that no matter how nice somebody is they are always ready to dump you for somebody else.... !

Oh yes ... they sometimes ask "What's your best price?" I look at my price list and tell them the price on the list.

I advertise a price because that is what I think I am worth. Do they go into Tesco and ask for it cheaper?

Mat

Frankly I don't give two hoots if people think I'm expensive (I am.)

They get top notch treatments, with the very best products, in a private, boutique salon, from me. I'm worth every penny and more. And I leave the Vogue article about me lying around ;)

I prefer to think of myself as Fortnums, not Forbuoys!

Yes I'm with you all!
The area I live in there are a lot of Salons charging ridiculous cheap prices!!! It drives me mad 😡😡
I have noticed my takings are down now unfortunately, & I'm having to make cut backs on some things 😔, but I would rather give my business up than lower my prices to be the same as others, when I think my prices are fair & I offer a professional service, I don't cut corners on treatments etc.... I'm sticking to my "GUNS"!
The clients that stay with me respect what I do & they know they get the best from me, also I find when I get someone new they always comment "oh where I used to go they didn't do this, what a difference"
You get what you pay for as far as I'm concerned, but unfortunately too many people want cheap,cheap CHEAP!
I am a professional & I'm not working for Peanuts, I don't know how other people do it??

So just like the client who has free nails done & they dont look after or appreciate them, you have given away free service time of 20 minutes and all for nothing... Learn from this mistake & learn that no matter how nice somebody is they are always ready to dump you for somebody else.... !

I didn't think about it this way! You are absolutely right!

Thank you for this xxx

I had a client this morning who was going back to Canada and having her last treatments before she goes. I gave her the equiv of 25% off her bill which wasn't much today as a bye bye see you in the autumn present and she said to me , oh no no you are worth more than that when I told her the price and then I told her about the discount I had put on and she insisted on full price.

So I guess they are not all bad.

I very very rarely discount my massage, it is too much hard work to give away and when people ask for discount I politely ask them where they work and say if I come over would I get discount, it kind of makes them think.

They all pull the do you do Disney discount, hell no the mouse doesn't give me any discount when I go see him so why should I discount you just because you sell coke at a Disney park!!

Same has happened to me today. Friend of mine who I went to school with sent me a text asking how much I charge for full head foil highlights cut and blow. So I replied £45 which I know I'm cheap compared to alot of people. She replied wow your expensive! :-0. I said I'm not I'm too cheap! She said she normally pays £35. Sorry but I think £35 is way to cheap for the treatment but if she can get it like that then fair enough. I'm not dropping my price for anyone. Xx

My clients have never told me I am too expensive. And I wouldnt let it fluster me if they did either! My price for a cut and colour is probably more expensive than most in my area, but its also better! Sorry if that seems like have dissappeared up my own bum there but I have worked too long and too hard NOT to value my skills.

I heard a story once about a woman shopping for a dress. she thought it was ridiculously expensive and just HAD to have it. when she went to the till, they asked for just £50. She no longer wanted the dress. It meant nothing to her as it was too cheap...... lesson to be learned there! People will actually think LESS of you, the cheaper you are.
xx

Some people just want treatments for nothing >:| makes me mad

I also find that these are the people that will complain about nothing to try and get a freebie, burnt my fingers with this before

i had a client who had a full set of nails done, 2weeks later i get a phone call after she was back her holiday to tell me that everything had came awsy at the bottom of her nails (the cuticle) so ok i said im really sorry about that come in and i will give u a new set.

In she comes the next day and what do i find its regrowth and she needs an in-fill!! but silly me had already said id do a new set >:-|

but guess what she never came back again as i was too expensive :-0 excuse me ??? £23 for an in-fill is to expensive.

Lesson learned never offer a solution before u know what the problem is ;-) xx

Yes, some people do mention that I am expensive. Or they ask when will I have offers lol. Some get very peed off that I dont have a discount for hands and feet gel treatments No, no no!!

Latest posts

Back