Anyone ever said your prices are too expensive!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

when I first started out (in London) as a manicurist, I was offering manicures from £12 natural to £25 with paraffin wax.

What I thought was my best friend said to me "you're effing joking, the salon over the road does a manicure for £8. You don't have a shop so you have no overheads. You're taking the P"

I was really hurt and didn't see her for awhile...

I then qualified in L&P and was charging £15 for a full set based on the words of my 'friend'

I got responses ranging from, that's good to that's too cheap, I upped my prices to £20 and no-one ever rebooked

I then did my level 2 beauty and another 'friend' who I do not speak to at all now because I just cannot cope with her anymore, 'educated' me on what people round that area expected to pay. I listened to her and was charging next to nothing for everything. Obviously the decision was mine to make but I felt so bullied that I lowered my eyebrow shapes to £2.50.

One day a family friend visited my mum with her friend in tow, they were passing through so popped in for a tea. The family friend's friend is a successful beauty therapist and asked to see my price list.

OMG, I thought she was going to kill me. She got a pen out of her bag and crossed out ALL my prices and adjusted them to what she thought they should be.

She went mental, I got "are you a business or a charity?" "Do you value your career or is this a hobby?" and "are you out of your mind?"

I was totally devasted later that night called another friend who is an absolute angel and told her what happened. She said was I confid
ent in all the treatments I offered at that time to charge the new prices suggested by the family friend's friend and I said, Yes.

She went through each price with me, now she works at a High end salon in SE10 (Greenwich, London) and found the new prices realistic, competetive and fine.

The 'friend' that I felt bullied me into lowering prices called me for a brow shape to which I said they are no longer £2.50, I now charge £5. She said that was ridiculous and wouldn't be using me anymore, she now pays £4.50 at the local college and lets students work on her.

I now live in Chester and did up my prices slightly yet as I am now based in a discount gym, I put them to how they were when I left London.

Everyone client who has walked in has said that I'm really reasonable because of the rest of the stuff they get. Yet other therapist friends I have said I am way too cheap.

I think this is one of those "I'll never please everyone" situations so I have now got the prices up, that's how they are staying reflective of a discount gym. People that pay £3 a week for gym are NOT going to pay £60 for a facial.

Instead, I have broken down all my treatments, have a little description so I can tell them what they get when they book and there is stuff they don't know about so when I offer them a fruit tea, give a complimentary hand massage while masque is setting or whatever I can do to make a treatment that little bit more personal, they are pleasantly surprised.

I had a lady in for a leg wax the other day and all she kept saying was "so and so didn't do it like that, so and so never offered me that, so and so never suggested that, you are much more conscientious than so and so" and THAT is what makes ME happy...

She rebooked for 5 weeks time but has a lot of ingrowns so I said I'd give her a lovely complimentary exfoliate on her legs as well because she admitted she can't be bothered to exfoliate but understands she has a problem but is happy for me to fix her problem.

My 1/2 leg waxes are £10, it's not expensive, it may be too cheap. It's not a lot in product cost and is around 30 mins of my time. I've not converted to perron rigot yet so am happy at this stage to charge £10.

Therapist friends say I should be charging over £14 but I know for a fact my clients will NOT pay that in a discount gym.

This is a great thread though xxx

So what are your brows now? A small salon I worked at charged £7 for a tidy up in Wrexham, also I might have to come down for you to do mine for me. I know there's a lot of places around me to go, but non are fellow geeks u see! Xoxo

Lol... I'm still a fiver and you will always be welcome x

Just wanted to share my experience from yesterday.
Wednesday night I got a text on my work phone (I don't take it home so actually picked the message up Thursday morning)
It was a lady asking for shellac Rockstar fingers and toes. She say she'd phoned round and could get them for £12 what was my best price. I told her I had appointments and said my prices were £20 fingers and £22 toes. She said she would book but that I was far too expensive. And why was I far more expensive than anyone else in town. I didn't answer that question just that she was booked in and I looked forward to seeing her that afternoon. (actually didn't expect her to turn up)
She did arrive for her appointment and didn't say anything about the price. I offered her a drink, sat her down, did my consultation, discussed her lifestyle and gave her my opinion and some options. Before I even touched a nail with a cuticle pusher she said "I know now why you're more expensive .. It's the service, I've never had this before" I performed both finger and toes services and gave her a free cuticle oil, aftercare and loyalty card. She paid, gave me a tip and told me she would recommend me as my salon is by far better than anywhere she'd been before and I'm worth every penny. I do believe you get what you pay for xx

Wednesday night I got a text on my work phone (I don't take it home so actually picked the message up Thursday morning)
It was a lady asking for shellac Rockstar fingers and toes. She say she'd phoned round and could get them for £12 what was my best price. I told her I had appointments and said my prices were £20 fingers and £22 toes. She said she would book but that I was far too expensive. And why was I far more expensive than anyone else in town. I didn't answer that question just that she was booked in and I looked forward to seeing her that afternoon. (actually didn't expect her to turn up)
She did arrive for her appointment and didn't say anything about the price. I offered her a drink, sat her down, did my consultation, discussed her lifestyle and gave her my opinion and some options. Before I even touched a nail with a cuticle pusher she said "I know now why you're more expensive .. It's the service, I've never had this before" I performed both finger and toes services and gave her a free cuticle oil, aftercare and loyalty card. She paid, gave me a tip and told me she would recommend me as my salon is by far better than anywhere she'd been before and I'm worth every penny. I do believe you get what you pay for xx

I'm quoting this for emphasis.

It just goes to prove that you do not have to be the cheapest to succeed, you just have to be the best. Quite honestly, I wouldn't go to the cheapest of cheap salon (HWilliams, I think we could all do with a friend like your mums. It's sadly all to easy to undervalue yourself.) because in my head that means lesser-quality products and a therapist with less experience and would rather pay more for the same treatment but performed properly.

Well done, btw :D

I'm quoting this for emphasis.

It just goes to prove that you do not have to be the cheapest to succeed, you just have to be the best. Quite honestly, I wouldn't go to the cheapest of cheap salon (HWilliams, I think we could all do with a friend like your mums. It's sadly all to easy to undervalue yourself.) because in my head that means lesser-quality products and a therapist with less experience and would rather pay more for the same treatment but performed properly.

Well done, btw :D

Re copy.

I think with people spending less, when they do have a service like this done they want an experience not just a service, I know I'm not rolling in money, but would pay extra for them extra 20 mins, also aftercare advice and products help save money in the long run.
A saying iv been taught by my mum who's never even had an overdraft, which I think we could all take more of ad use as inspiration... Get the best you can afford.
The best always lasts longer be it nails, tv's, or a blowdry. Xoxo

I have always been on the expensive side. There is no point working for buttons, and being cheap puts clients off more than being too expensive.
Clients that want to haggle don't get an appointment with me. I don't ask other people to take a pay cut, and I find it deeply offensive when people ask me to.
I also find that the more people spend, the happier they bounce out of my salons. People love a spend up.

Pay peanuts get monkeys !!!!!

I do not feel I am expensive exactly but my prices for electrolysis in my area are above the rest. I have had this mentioned on a couple of occasions. I always say to these clients that services are only expensive if they are a like for like comparison. Do others use high end equipment have years of experience and get the results? :)

One client says she has had 8 years of regular treatment - I expected to find some anomaly in her history or that she does not attend regularly enough but on consultation she was a mainstream client. I said to her I had cases much worse than this halving treatment times with work well under 10 hours - I rest my case and she has re-booked.;)

I live by the motto....'I don't proclaim to be the best but I aspire to be' ...........I price my treatments accordingly and I am neither cheap nor expensive. My clients receive a service that is second to none and appreciate and value what I provide them.
I do get people that say that I am too expensive and those that do are not loyal clients, they are in fairness always after the next bargain. I don't blame them nor do they offend me, they are free to go to the cheaper place. My prices I am afraid will remain as they are and my loyal clients are rewarded in many ways.
I totally understand the concept of a lot of the marketing techniques currently available but will not be following trend..........unfortunately offering a premium service like Shellac at £8 devalues the product and my services. Xx

I live by the motto....'I don't proclaim to be the best but I aspire to be' ...........I price my treatments accordingly and I am neither cheap nor expensive. My clients receive a service that is second to none and appreciate and value what I provide them.
I do get people that say that I am too expensive and those that do are not loyal clients, they are in fairness always after the next bargain. I don't blame them nor do they offend me, they are free to go to the cheaper place. My prices I am afraid will remain as they are and my loyal clients are rewarded in many ways.
I totally understand the concept of a lot of the marketing techniques currently available but will not be following trend..........unfortunately offering a premium service like Shellac at £8 devalues the product and my services. Xx
Agreed! I'm totally the same 😊

Hya, what she is saying really is that she is not worthy of your services lol.

Don't worry too much, if she doesn't want to pay your price then she should go elsewhere.

Stick to your price and don't change or lower them. There's a saying: You pitch for what you ask for! You skills are worth your price.

Its better to have quality clients who know your true worth rather one which is looking for a bargain.

There are many places who charge £100 for a massage and are really busy.

I constantly get asked what my prices are, I live on an RAF base so I've discounted my prices as most of my clients are RAF girls and guys but then one girl asked me if I did military discount, I said I had already put the military discount on for all treatments and she said £5 for an eyebrow wax? thats sooo expensive! I was just thinking oh please shut up, you've got no clue what your talking about love!

I also get lovely clients though, one lady, whos husband is in the RAF in Afghan atm called me up in dire need of getting her eyebrows done for a party that night, I said I'd be over in half an hour, she lives about 2 mins walk from me and I felt lazy so I drove after waiting for a delivery to come at home, I had already told her it would be £5, did her wax, she was so pleased, I ahh'd at her two tiny twin boys (the cutest things I've ever seen!) and as I was packing up to leave she put £20 in my hand. I looked at it and went to get some change out for her and she was like no, you keep that dear, you're amazing at waxing and I called you out so you deserve it!

You really can not pick and choose your clients but you are so thankful for the ones that are diamonds!!

Leanne
X

Absolutely! ;)

I live in Northampton so getting 'HOW MUCH' shreaked down the phone at me happens fairly often.
My answer has become.
'Quality products backed up by quality training comes with a price tag to match.'
Funny thing is I quiet often get the same person calling back to book an appointment.
No I'm not expensive, I'm middle of the price bracket for my area. But some people have to try it on.
I often used to wonder if they did this when they went to Tesco's for a loaf of bread. Then one day I was there when the end of day specials went out on the shelf and the poor woman trying to put the stuff out nearly got mowed down and crushed:eek:
The ones who moan (or yell) are the ones you don't want and the rest want you because you don't compromise on quality. Chin up luvy and do your best to put her our of your mind.

I live in Northampton so getting 'HOW MUCH' shreaked down the phone at me happens fairly often.
My answer has become.
'Quality products backed up by quality training comes with a price tag to match.'
Funny thing is I quiet often get the same person calling back to book an appointment.
No I'm not expensive, I'm middle of the price bracket for my area. But some people have to try it on.
I often used to wonder if they did this when they went to Tesco's for a loaf of bread. Then one day I was there when the end of day specials went out on the shelf and the poor woman trying to put the stuff out nearly got mowed down and crushed:eek:
The ones who moan (or yell) are the ones you don't want and the rest want you because you don't compromise on quality. Chin up luvy and do your best to put her our of your mind.

I live in Kettering, Northamptonshire. I recently saw a girl offering spray tans for £7 in northampton. Shocking! Our area does have the few cheap places to go lol. I charge £15 and at first I was mid range but now I've started to become expensive due to everyone starting to be so cheap. X

Sorry if this has ready been said as not had time to read all posts.

If clients say you are too expensive, ask "compared to who?". They will invariably quote some "messer" who is charging £7 for a spraytan (for example). Your reply: "that's a bit like comparing a rolls Royce to a skoda!".

Enough said if you can genuinely back it up with your services and professionalism

Latest posts

Back