Anyone ever said your prices are too expensive!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are some of you finding buisness now? Are you noticing your takings are down? Working less hours? Not getting as many new clients? 😊

Glamour Puss7 - interesting you say that clients say "oh where I used to go they didn't do this, what a difference"

That's why it's key in your marketing to say what you do and spell it out that you are different from your competitors for that reason. It's much easier to justify a higher price then :)

Glamour Puss7 - interesting you say that clients say "oh where I used to go they didn't do this, what a difference"

That's why it's key in your marketing to say what you do and spell it out that you are different from your competitors for that reason. It's much easier to justify a higher price then :)
Well I do indeed, I'm always educating my clients, it's part of me to do so ha ha... I'm a perfectionist! My heart & soul goes into my work 😊

How are some of you finding buisness now? Are you noticing your takings are down? Working less hours? Not getting as many new clients? 😊

I'm just about to close my books for the year. So far I've taken 29% more than last year ans I have two full days left.
I'm busier than ever, and the local hair salon opening a beauty room has made no adverse difference yet.

Lynne thats fab!! i haven't done my final books but im definatly up on last year!! and ive change from salon to mobile/home based in aug 11

hope it continues ;-)

xx

Later on my lady did reply with i'll give u call when ive got the money, im not holding my breath lol. Later on this eve though i got a brand new client call me for pedicure and eyebrows which gave me lift as she seemed happy with my prices. :D

How are some of you finding buisness now? Are you noticing your takings are down? Working less hours? Not getting as many new clients? ��

My business is going from strength to strenght, I'm way up on last year (3rd year trading). Even when I look through my next weeks bookings and sometimes worry that it seems quiet, by the end of the week I tot it up and ive done really well, sometimes because it's less clients but more spend, sometimes its just that the phone starts ringing.

This week alone I picked up 5 new clients so happy times

H xx

Funnily enough, there was a post on a blog I regularly read from a copywriter/marketer based in Colorado about this subject. I think it will be of interest to you all...

How Clients Minimize the Value of Your Work

If clients ever ask for a break down or for a discount or happen to say "oh thats expensive" or "i didnt want to pay that much" i dont stand there and try and justify my prices as to me thats just wrong.
What i do is tell them the price is for the experience as a whole-ie-i use top notch products the service from the minute they step in the door untill the minute they leave is 110%,the shampoo and head massage is never rushed,a full consult and hair analysis takes place before we even discuss the cut/colour,and then theres the 17 years of knowledge and experience to throw into the mix aswell!!
I sometimes get people that say "o but im on a pension now so have to watch my pennies"and i always reply "ive worked extremley hard for the last 17 years to gain the knowledge to pass on to my clients to ensure they get the best service i could possibly give"
This normally shuts them up
:rolleyes:

i agree with "you get what you pay for", at the end of the day ppl are paying not just for our products and our time and a good service but for our expertise.

If they have a problem with their hair/nails/skin whatever the case may be we are expected to know what it is and how to deal with it, this only comes from experience and training.

Clients can go elsewhere to have their nails done cheaper as far as im concerned but when their nails are wrecked or not lasting etc who is they will come to to rectify the problem!!!!if salons/therapists are managing to make a living by charging silly prices then good luck to them but i dont personally see how it is possible.....if you have a salon you have rent, rates etc but if you are mobile you still have personal insurance,car insurance etc!!

keep charging what you know you are worthy of and you will attract the right kind of clients............quality ones

Frankly I don't give two hoots if people think I'm expensive (I am.)

They get top notch treatments, with the very best products, in a private, boutique salon, from me. I'm worth every penny and more. And I leave the Vogue article about me lying around ;)

I prefer to think of myself as Fortnums, not Forbuoys!

lol love this lynne ! x

A lot of people moan my £15 for a spray tan is too expensive.......
(too many fools charging a tenner in my town, not that I'm bothered. I will not put my price down, I'd rather sell my stuff! lol)

I've now come to the conclusion that if they don't want to pay my price then they can just... well not pay it simple as!

I'm getting a car after my summer holiday so I can go mobile & my prices will be going up to £18... I honestly can't wait to shout that one out lmao! x

A lot of people moan my £15 for a spray tan is too expensive.......
(too many fools charging a tenner in my town, not that I'm bothered. I will not put my price down, I'd rather sell my stuff! lol)

I've now come to the conclusion that if they don't want to pay my price then they can just... well not pay it simple as!

I'm getting a car after my summer holiday so I can go mobile & my prices will be going up to £18... I honestly can't wait to shout that one out lmao! x

£15 for a spray tan?!? Last one I had was £25. I'd say £15 was extreme value for money ad maybe even undercutting your own skills, but as area's differ, a salon by me that charged under £20 would be a no go as I'd be scared of quality ad the finish, when I go to my friends I expect £10, because it's the average price there, although iv see salons there advertising ten as £5 and I just can't work out after product how they stay afloat, the tab may as well be free. Xoxo

Me again i found shes only been to a fish pedi place!give me strength. I only no this as shes my other halves boss's daughter. Its not even a proper pedi, im not sure about the minx though :confused:

Frankly I don't give two hoots if people think I'm expensive (I am.)

They get top notch treatments, with the very best products, in a private, boutique salon, from me. I'm worth every penny and more. And I leave the Vogue article about me lying around ;)

I prefer to think of myself as Fortnums, not Forbuoys!

He he! Well said!

Funnily enough, there was a post on a blog I regularly read from a copywriter/marketer based in Colorado about this subject. I think it will be of interest to you all...

How Clients Minimize the Value of Your Work

I read this and the 4 red flags of a bad client

Very interesting reading, tempted to print it out and leave it under the face hole on my couch hehehe

I won't, don't worry but wouldn't it be nice?

I often get people saying they can get nails done for £10 with so & so would I do them for the same price? My reply is always no!!
The only people to get a discount are family & one friend who helps me out with the kids a lot
The £10 nail tech has to do 3 time as much work as me to earn what I do with one client & I value my work x

Hi i had a lady recently thats had minx done somewhere else and wanted me to go do her a pedicure with minx (im mobile). I gave her 3 different prices, one for minx on toes, one for pedi with minx and one for luxury pedi with minx. Now im always comparing prices so i no for sure im not expensive. Obviously i have to cover cost of products used, time and the fact that she hasn't got to go anywhere as i would go to her. Has anyone ever done this to u? :grr:

Hello,

when I first started out (in London) as a manicurist, I was offering manicures from £12 natural to £25 with paraffin wax.

What I thought was my best friend said to me "you're effing joking, the salon over the road does a manicure for £8. You don't have a shop so you have no overheads. You're taking the P"

I was really hurt and didn't see her for awhile...

I then qualified in L&P and was charging £15 for a full set based on the words of my 'friend'

I got responses ranging from, that's good to that's too cheap, I upped my prices to £20 and no-one ever rebooked

I then did my level 2 beauty and another 'friend' who I do not speak to at all now because I just cannot cope with her anymore, 'educated' me on what people round that area expected to pay. I listened to her and was charging next to nothing for everything. Obviously the decision was mine to make but I felt so bullied that I lowered my eyebrow shapes to £2.50.

One day a family friend visited my mum with her friend in tow, they were passing through so popped in for a tea. The family friend's friend is a successful beauty therapist and asked to see my price list.

OMG, I thought she was going to kill me. She got a pen out of her bag and crossed out ALL my prices and adjusted them to what she thought they should be.

She went mental, I got "are you a business or a charity?" "Do you value your career or is this a hobby?" and "are you out of your mind?"

I was totally devasted later that night called another friend who is an absolute angel and told her what happened. She said was I confid
ent in all the treatments I offered at that time to charge the new prices suggested by the family friend's friend and I said, Yes.

She went through each price with me, now she works at a High end salon in SE10 (Greenwich, London) and found the new prices realistic, competetive and fine.

The 'friend' that I felt bullied me into lowering prices called me for a brow shape to which I said they are no longer £2.50, I now charge £5. She said that was ridiculous and wouldn't be using me anymore, she now pays £4.50 at the local college and lets students work on her.

I now live in Chester and did up my prices slightly yet as I am now based in a discount gym, I put them to how they were when I left London.

Everyone client who has walked in has said that I'm really reasonable because of the rest of the stuff they get. Yet other therapist friends I have said I am way too cheap.

I think this is one of those "I'll never please everyone" situations so I have now got the prices up, that's how they are staying reflective of a discount gym. People that pay £3 a week for gym are NOT going to pay £60 for a facial.

Instead, I have broken down all my treatments, have a little description so I can tell them what they get when they book and there is stuff they don't know about so when I offer them a fruit tea, give a complimentary hand massage while masque is setting or whatever I can do to make a treatment that little bit more personal, they are pleasantly surprised.

I had a lady in for a leg wax the other day and all she kept saying was "so and so didn't do it like that, so and so never offered me that, so and so never suggested that, you are much more conscientious than so and so" and THAT is what makes ME happy...

She rebooked for 5 weeks time but has a lot of ingrowns so I said I'd give her a lovely complimentary exfoliate on her legs as well because she admitted she can't be bothered to exfoliate but understands she has a problem but is happy for me to fix her problem.

My 1/2 leg waxes are £10, it's not expensive, it may be too cheap. It's not a lot in product cost and is around 30 mins of my time. I've not converted to perron rigot yet so am happy at this stage to charge £10.

Therapist friends say I should be charging over £14 but I know for a fact my clients will NOT pay that in a discount gym.

This is a great thread though xxx

Latest posts

Back