Becoming over familiar in business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think what's needed in any business is the ability to read people and situations. None of us are a 'one size fits all' and nor would I want us to be.

I adapt me to the situation I'm in, as I'm sure most therapists do.

I wouldn't use inappropriate language or banter in a boardroom, but in a boardroom I'm not waxing someones intimate parts (unless it's one of those funny parties). I'm sure we all take time to know our clients, and we use language that is appropriate. If we didn't, surely our clients would go elsewhere. Ultimately they would vote with their feet. I didn't go all out to set up my business to go round using inappropriate language to scare my clients away.

You know your clients and what works for you and your business!

Totally agree with you. I build rapport with my clients by speaking in a manner consistent with their style. I dont use words that do not flow easily as that would seem false but if they are down to earth I am and if they are formal I will respond in kind. I did some basix hypnotherapy training and this does is part of making people relaxed around you. It seems to work well for me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't use pet names as I think it's rude. One of my staff called me 'Hun' once, and I was really offended. It felt extremely patronising.
I have a few clients who call me Hun, and it makes me cringe, but I would regard it as rude to correct them.

I'm a southerner though, and we have different social norms down here. Love, babe etc belong on a market stall, not in a professional setting.

I think it's a tough subject due to hat area your working in as the clientele you have. I personally done use words like "hun, chick doll" ect but a lot of the girls I work with do. It's all in moderation really.

However what I don't like is when I have a clients who refers refer to us as "eh giiiiiirrrrrrrl" (Liverpool accent as you can probably guess)!

I must be common as muck then because I reeeeeally don't understand the issue here. Why is it so disgusting, insulting, belittling for someone to address you in a friendly manner? Hypothetically If I did a really good massage the best you ever had would you not come back because I said hello Hun when you walked through the door? So you went to boarding school that matters how? (I don't mean to sound aggressive these things can be taken the wrong way) I had a very good upbringing I don't bring it into why I say the things I say. You say you haven't made it personal but I feel the way you are addressing the matter is going to get a lot of backs up. That is my opinion as you have had yours and that's fine. I do think we will all have to agree to disagree x

Be thankful you were never served by my (Lancashire born and bred) grandfather. He often called you "cock", which sounded friendly and was a term of endearment. However, to call someone that here in Scotland, would earn you a Glasgow kiss (head butt).

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Be thankful you were never served by my (Lancashire born and bred) grandfather. He often called you "cock", which sounded friendly and was a term of endearment. However, to call someone that here in Scotland, would earn you a Glasgow kiss (head butt).

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Haha is he from the Wigan & Leigh area? I don't mind some terms being used from time to time but when it's use in every sentence the person says is over excessive, especially when you have introduced yourself and took the time to be polite.

I think what's needed in any business is the ability to read people and situations. None of us are a 'one size fits all' and nor would I want us to be.

I adapt me to the situation I'm in, as I'm sure most therapists do.

I wouldn't use inappropriate language or banter in a boardroom, but in a boardroom I'm not waxing someones intimate parts (unless it's one of those funny parties). I'm sure we all take time to know our clients, and we use language that is appropriate. If we didn't, surely our clients would go elsewhere. Ultimately they would vote with their feet. I didn't go all out to set up my business to go round using inappropriate language to scare my clients away.

You know your clients and what works for you and your business!

As always squidgernetball talks total sense in a friendly helpful way. I completely agree with this. We work in a service industry and we do need to be able to adapt to make all our clients comfortable.
Personally I prefer a friendly atmosphere in a salon with a relaxed atmosphere and even after all these years in the Industry myself I still feel intimidated in a more formal salon.

I don't think I use any of these colloquialisms or terms of endearment, I call my clients by their names, be it there Christian name or a more formal Mrs Smith until invited to use their Christian name.

Personally I hate 'Hun' not because of any over familiarity but because... It isn't even a word! it is an abbreviation of honey, so just say honey!!

As always squidgernetball talks total sense in a friendly helpful way. I completely agree with this. We work in a service industry and we do need to be able to adapt to make all our clients comfortable.
Personally I prefer a friendly atmosphere in a salon with a relaxed atmosphere and even after all these years in the Industry myself I still feel intimidated in a more formal salon.

I don't think I use any of these colloquialisms or terms of endearment, I call my clients by their names, be it there Christian name or a more formal Mrs Smith until invited to use their Christian name.

Personally I hate 'Hun' not because of any over familiarity but because... It isn't even a word! it is an abbreviation of honey, so just say honey!!

Thanks babes x

I must be common as muck then because I reeeeeally don't understand the issue here. Why is it so disgusting, insulting, belittling for someone to address you in a friendly manner? Hypothetically If I did a really good massage the best you ever had would you not come back because I said hello Hun when you walked through the door? So you went to boarding school that matters how? (I don't mean to sound aggressive these things can be taken the wrong way) I had a very good upbringing I don't bring it into why I say the things I say. You say you haven't made it personal but I feel the way you are addressing the matter is going to get a lot of backs up. That is my opinion as you have had yours and that's fine. I do think we will all have to agree to disagree x

It's purely down to perception if you think i'm addressing the matter incorrectly, it makes for a more interesting read in that case...no harm meant.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't do it but I would say if it's the norm in your part of the world and makes clients more comfortable then what the heck. Do what suits the situation.

I am me & I say what I say - most of the time without really thinking about it.

I arrive, I set up & I do my job, I pack away & I leave but while I'm talking with the client my brain is usually more occupied with what I'm doing rather than what I'm saying so I honestly couldn't say if I use hun, babe, etc..

I wouldn't use flower, darling, love, doll, or duck as they are not something I would say (not even to a to a close friend or anything) but babe, hun & chick are things I might say so could possibly come out while I'm talking to a client.

I think we adapt to our clients though and there are definitely some clients that I feel more comfortable with than others, that's not to say I feel uncomfortable with any of my clients but I do seem to 'click' with some clients more than others if that makes sense.

If I were having a meeting with my bank manager I wouldn't expect her to call me Hun, I wouldn't think it appropriate but with a beauty therapist I think its fine, if I'm lying there waiting for an intimate wax and she was calling me Hun and being friendly I would feel more at ease.
Sometimes when having a treatment you do feel a little nervous and a friendly therapist calling you Hun or whatever and putting you at ease is perfectly fine.
That's my opinion anyway :)

I can't stand it in a work or personal environment. I find it demeaning. Babe and hun are probably the worst and it makes me cringe when people say or write them! It's the sort of thing I expect to hear from teenage girls not grown women or men.:rolleyes:

.....I really have no problem with being called a snob etc..

Hmmm you don't mind been called
SNOB but you don't want to be called HON ;) :D

Laura xx

It's patronising, if you spoke to me like that I would assume you thought I was the village idiot, that's how it's offensive. If I went to a salon that behaved in this way I would not go back as I would assume it was not for people like me and personally would feel more comfortable with someone with what I regard as respectful behaviour and good manners. I do get you don't get it I genuinely believe it is a class issue, not a money issue as plenty noveau riche call people Hun!

Apparently some people think they have 'class' but are still very rude and patronising to the friendlier bunch on here. Oh dear :/ :)

Laura xx

I am a northerner and have never used any of the terms mentioned. I've had people talk to me like that and have not been offended at all (it takes a lot to offend me :)

I worked on ships for 7 years and before that I had the strongest scouse accent. Almost tied my tongue in knots to speak slower and clearer as some could not understand me at all. Those if you that have met me wouldn't know how strong it was (unless I'm with another scouser and then it all comes flooding back :)

As mentioned before I do adjust to the client I'm with though. Some we can have a giggle about some things other ladies would seem shocking.

It's all about every client getting a personalised service to suit them :)

Vicki x

Dream Nails by Victoria

Apparently some people think they have 'class' but are still very rude and patronising to the friendlier bunch on here. Oh dear :/ :)

Laura xx

I don't think I have class I just think some behaviour is totally unacceptable. May be working in a bar is ok, but I feel uncomfortable with it, that's all. If you want to call your clients babe and Hun fine! Don't start attacking me because I think it's not cool and just naff!

Latest posts

Back