Bizarre techniques!?!? Do you have any examples?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vodkababe

Reaction score
Morning geeks :)

I've been surfing around this morning (any excuse to avoid having to pack yet MORE boxes - eek!) and have been reading tutorials etc on other nail sites...

On one site, as part of the tutorial for step-by-step acrylic nails, I came across the following instructions for how to shorten a tip after it's been applied (I'm paraphrasing as I've shut the page down now - duh!):

- with nail clippers, clip into each side of the tip, creating a cut either side.
- wiggle the tip up and down until it snaps off.
- neaten free edge with an abrasive.

How bizarre. Why not just use proper tip cutters???

Has anyone else seen any odd advice anywhere?

Lulu :)

Hi Lulu,

I agree that wiggling the tip till it snaps is not very professional but I don't see a problem with using nail clippers to shape the free edge of a tip.

Infact I would have thought that it will save you time, since you can get the shape you want straight away, rather than filing from the square shape that tip cutters delivers (e.g. for stiletto).

JMO

Sarah

vodkababe said:
- with nail clippers, clip into each side of the tip, creating a cut either side.
- wiggle the tip up and down until it snaps off.
- neaten free edge with an abrasive.

How bizarre. Why not just use proper tip cutters???

Has anyone else seen any odd advice anywhere?

Lulu :)
Actually this isnt as bizzare as you think.
Its is an old and trusted method and when I was at Excel a few weeks ago Ketan Patel used this method on me, so if he does it... cant be too bad, lol!
It doesnt put pressure across the tip as it slices, & I sometimes do it myself if I havent got my cutters to hand, or am creating almond shape nails. :wink2:

I know a lot of techs that use nail clippers rather than tip cutters. With clippers you can get more of a shape to the nail.
Saying that dont know about the wiggling bit lol

Hi :)

Ok..... I stand corrected - maybe it just seems bizarre to me as it's something I've never seen before... :o

I don't think I'll be trying it, somehow.....

Lulu

hellohow about when your doing an infill and need to shorten the length, would you use them then.

susie said:
hellohow about when your doing an infill and need to shorten the length, would you use them then.

You could use clippers if you went very slowly clipped through a small amount at a time - if you try to clip it all in one go you'll cause microcracking through the remaining overlay. This may not be visible to the eye, but you'll soon see it when a greenie appears!! :eek:

Best to use an abrasive to take down length during re-balance - with a 180 grit it won't take very long at all, probably quicker than clipping

HTH
Trin
xx

Personally I use tip cutters, always have. Can't say I've ever used that technique. Still sounds quite interesting though. There's obviously a reason why it can be done that way.

When trying to bring down the length once acrylic is on I have always used a file. I'm too frightened of cracking the acrylic with the tip cutters or nail clippers.

Jules:biggrin:

susie said:

Hi Susie I always use an abrasive to shorten length when doing an infill as not to damage the overlay.

I use clippers now too, i saw Ketan Patel doing it and took some advise from Geeg about it saving time filing the shape..and it works.

Must admit Vodkababe that i didnt know about it untill i saw Ktan though, so your not alone hun xxx

allways used clippers for almond and stilleto shapes, makes life easier :)

Its also the only way to cut tips down if you use an outsize tip that won`t fit in the tip cutter.
Not so bizarre to a lot of us but that doesn`t mean it isn`t bizarre to you. There are probably loads of things that seem bizarre to some but not others. Its a great post to do but seems we`ve all concentrated on your one remark.
Come on guys, lets think up some other things that seem bizarre to us

Debs said:
Its also the only way to cut tips down if you use an outsize tip that won`t fit in the tip cutter.
Not so bizarre to a lot of us but that doesn`t mean it isn`t bizarre to you. There are probably loads of things that seem bizarre to some but not others. Its a great post to do but seems we`ve all concentrated on your one remark.
Come on guys, lets think up some other things that seem bizarre to us

Ok its not bizarre but i have always wondered if this is true...jelly cubes...eat these to make your nails strong, my nana used to make me eat it....

NailStyle said:
Ok its not bizarre but i have always wondered if this is true...jelly cubes...eat these to make your nails strong, my nana used to make me eat it....

I believed this, and was force-fed them as a youngster, and have very strong nails and hair. I thought it must be something to do with gelatin being made from boiled up hooves etc. :eek: But I recently saw a post on Healthy Pages which said this was an old wives tale. So I don't know either way. :confused:

KTDH (Know This Doesn't Help!!!!!!)

xxxxx

I was trained to use this technique also, but now i mostly use the tip cutter, cause i mostly do square and squoval, and the tip cutter almost gets it right. I you take a closer look at the Ceaser Secrets demos videos you'll see that he uses this technique to!

something i saw in one of the early scratch mags in a how to by [i think]sylvia johnson. was a very unusual method of appling the tips which was followed by l/p application and finally the tip was cut at the end. never seen things done this way. does anyone use this method ?

Latest posts

Back