Break the salons rules?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanielouise

Reaction score
Recently I've been having more and more clients from my salon asking if I do private out of work clients and ask me if they can take my number. It's against my salons rules to give out any personal details that involves taking clients from the salon.
I'm fully booked in my salon and my clients book in because they want to see me and if I can't fit them in would it be so wrong of me to do it out of work?
Does anyone else have the same problem and what should I do?

Personally I wouldn't do this as it's not fair on the employer whose probably worked hard to build the clientele up over the years. Are you self employed or employed? Do you work full time or part time? Think of other ways to get the clients in rather than doing them at home x

Could you not just extend your hours in the salon?

Personally I wouldn't do this as it's not fair on the employer whose probably worked hard to build the clientele up over the years. Are you self employed or employed? Do you work full time or part time? Think of other ways to get the clients in rather than doing them at home x

I'm full time and I'm employed, I've been there for 7years and always fully booked with my clients that won't go to the stylists on the salon. Up until now I've always said I dont do private work as I'm not one for breaking the rules as such. I'm only issue is that my employer pays me less than 850 a month so the clients out of work would help me to live. Really stuck on this one :(

Could you not just extend your hours in the salon?

As it is I'm one of the only full timers and can't do more than the 40hrs as contracted. Which is a pain

Maybe self employment would be the better option.

I think it's time to have a word with your employer. Ask for a pay rise or more hours. Are they aware of your situation? You are in a good position to negotiate now but you would have to do that before you take any work on that goes against the rules.

Maybe self employment would be the better option.

I think it's time to have a word with your employer. Ask for a pay rise or more hours. Are they aware of your situation? You are in a good position to negotiate now but you would have to do that before you take any work on that goes against the rules.

I was just about to say the same. Defiantly ask about the wage if you are really busy. X

Thank you guys! I think I need a old chat with my employer as I also do the assessing and training of the trainees so I guess I should be entitled to more pay? And hopefully they can't afford to lose me as a member of staff.

Thank you guys! I think I need a old chat with my employer as I also do the assessing and training of the trainees so I guess I should be entitled to more pay? And hopefully they can't afford to lose me as a member of staff.

Yeah you should be for assessing and training just think if you went to an actual college. Is it a training centre where you work?
Did your employer pay for your training? X

I paid half of the course fee and she paid the other half. I work in a salon so it's in salon training I do. Would personally love to get into assessing but I really can't find any decent sites to help me look for a job

I paid half of the course fee and she paid the other half. I work in a salon so it's in salon training I do. Would personally love to get into assessing but I really can't find any decent sites to help me look for a job

Sorry for asking loads of questions 😊 I'm really interested in the assessing side and training but in beauty. Sometimes there has been assessing jobs on the college/school website or local council websites. No wonder you can't fit clients in too with doing assessing too ha xx

I'm full time and I'm employed, I've been there for 7years and always fully booked with my clients that won't go to the stylists on the salon. Up until now I've always said I dont do private work as I'm not one for breaking the rules as such. I'm only issue is that my employer pays me less than 850 a month so the clients out of work would help me to live. Really stuck on this one :(

This is purely my opinion, but if you're full time and that's all she's paying you as an employee, it doesn't sound like you're even hitting minimum wage. Check it out, as she's obliged to do this by law.

If you're fully booked and working your little socks off for her, she's taking the mick in my view. You should be paid considerably more. x

Maybe it's time for a change with all that experience and loyal following you could go mobile or have your own salon?

Sorry for asking loads of questions 😊 I'm really interested in the assessing side and training but in beauty. Sometimes there has been assessing jobs on the college/school website or local council websites. No wonder you can't fit clients in too with doing assessing too ha xx

That's alright, yeah I've looked but nothing in my area I've been looking in and surrounding areas of reading! Assessing is really good to get into! Of you're interested try looking at a company called ITS they are amazing and located in Guildford? That's of course of you love anywhere near there x

This is purely my opinion, but if you're full time and that's all she's paying you as an employee, it doesn't sound like you're even hitting minimum wage. Check it out, as she's obliged to do this by law.

If you're fully booked and working your little socks off for her, she's taking the mick in my view. You should be paid considerably more. x

They aren't paying me even close to minimum wage! I've brought this up with them before and they raised my pay by £10 a month... Doesn't really go far haha! I have a meeting with them in a few weeks where I will deffo be making some changes!

Maybe it's time for a change with all that experience and loyal following you could go mobile or have your own salon?

I'm thinking that private seems to be the best way forward but I do like the salon atmosphere, but if an opportunity of a salon came available then I'd be interested but it's the lack of funds I'd be worried about.

What?? They're not paying you minimum wage? And you work there because.....?

Quick call to DWP would see you backdated pay and the assurance of a fair rate in the future.

Unless you're not any good? ;)

I would definitely be considering my options, if this is the case. What do you owe her? She certainly owes you plenty - by law!

I wouldn't wait 'A few weeks.' Easier said than done, but I'd be looking for something else pronto.

What?? They're not paying you minimum wage? And you work there because.....?

Quick call to DWP would see you backdated pay and the assurance of a fair rate in the future.

Unless you're not any good? ;)

Well they pay me 220 a week before tax which yes is below minimum they try to get themselves out of it by saying your commission is worked into your basic which tbh isn't correct! Your basic is your basic rate and your commission should be added on top surely? Unless I have that wrong and they are correct? But even then the commission is stupidly high so only get maximum of £30 more a week commission.
With back dating how does that's work? As in the last year we have had new owners take over the business?
Haha id like to think I'm good enough :D

I would definitely be considering my options, if this is the case. What do you owe her? She certainly owes you plenty - by law!

I wouldn't wait 'A few weeks.' Easier said than done, but I'd be looking for something else pronto.

That is true I guess, maybe a bit more self confidence is needed :)! Again you're right tomorrow I shall be making sure a date is set for a proper sit down! Thank you!

Latest posts

Back