Break the salons rules?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well then if it were me I'd just put the facts to them and explain you are keen to stay with them and enjoy being there but MUST be paid minimum wage or you will have to look at your options.

It's awful that in this day and age staff aren't paid mimimum wage

I know it's terrible, Minimum wage is there to give a rough outline of what is liveable. I'll be asking for more than minimum wage too, not much more but I need the recognition for the training I do for the trainees too.

Sent from stephanielouise

I know it's terrible, Minimum wage is there to give a rough outline of what is liveable. I'll be asking for more than minimum wage too, not much more but I need the recognition for the training I do for the trainees too.

Absolutely, you MUST specify more than minimum wage. Minimum wage is not 'Liveable.' It was put in place originally to prevent the modern day equivalent of 'Slave labour' and it's an offence not to pay it. Unfortunately, it gave rise to a lot of employers regarding it as all they had to pay, no matter what the job involved. You aren't a 'Wet behind the ears' novice and bring serious revenue into the salon, plus the training you do.

Make sure you get paid what your skills are worth - or walk!!

Absolutely, you MUST specify more than minimum wage. Minimum wage is not 'Liveable.' It was put in place originally to prevent the modern day equivalent of 'Slave labour' and it's an offence not to pay it. Unfortunately, it gave rise to a lot of employers regarding it as all they had to pay, no matter what the job involved. You aren't a 'Wet behind the ears' novice and bring serious revenue into the salon, plus the training you do.

Make sure you get paid what your skills are worth - or walk!!

I deffo will! Thank you :D

Ask for what you think you are worth, the last time I was employed 7 1/2 years ago I was getting £7.50 a hour this was not the highest end salon prob mid range :)

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

This happened to me, I asked for a pay rise and only got $40 extra. It wasn't worth it for me, it's been a year and the owner still texts me asking if I wanted to come back. I was an apprentice and was known to have attention to detail and did what my clients asked, i had a huge clientele and they all came in to see me weekly for their blow waves.
She paid me that extra $40 after I asked for a pay rise because I opened and closed the shop every day. Although I might of been earning that extra 40 but she only paid me from 9-5 and 9-9 when I was really working from 7-7 and 7-10 on the late nights..

I think most employers take advantage of the apprentices and it's pretty normal to get minimum wage and only get paid for 38 hours as an apprentice but you have been there for 7 years and have a huge clientele, you have the potential to have your own successful set up. Why settle for second best? This is a big lesson I learnt... You can earn x2 more by being self employed!
Being employed DOES hold you back!

I never liked the idea of helping someone else build their dreams because I have my OWN dreams that I want to chase & follow.

Use your talent to build your dreams. It won't be easy but I think it will definitely worth it. You will look back and see how far you went, so to me, it was worth it.

The only thing I lost was I would have completed my apprenticeship by now and would have been a qualified hairdresser, but since then I qualified in beauty, tried a few courses, learnt what I enjoyed and what I don't enjoy, I've almost got my eyelash line finished so that's a new venture. I'm also finishing off my hairdressing qualification in February, I'm setting up a home salon some time this year, I've got heaps of plans for my business.
I'm not completely there get but I am liking the way it's looking.
So don't be scared to leave if you want to, just work hard and make the life you want to have!

Ultimately, it will depend on your circumstances, do you pay rent? Have you got a partner to help you out? Do you have savings? These are a few questions you need to think about (not expecting you to answer them!)

You could start building your business while you're employed and think about what you need to do to have it kick off (obviously don't advertise).

If being self employed isn't an option for you then if I was for you I would definitely kindly ask for a pay rise since she cannot afford to lose you! But I'm afraid I don't know your employer so I can't really judge, but usually it's just a small fraction extra. (Which isn't much help)
Hth xx

& unfortunately MOST employers in the hair & beauty industry only pay minimum wage.

& unfortunately MOST employers in the hair & beauty industry only pay minimum wage.

Not where I live for hair anyway you are a skilled workers, if I had thought I was going to be on minimum wage all my life I would have just got a non skilled job straight from school, it a real shame if this is the norm in most of the country
Sorry just realized you are in Australia im uk
Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

This happened to me, I asked for a pay rise and only got $40 extra. It wasn't worth it for me, it's been a year and the owner still texts me asking if I wanted to come back. I was an apprentice and was known to have attention to detail and did what my clients asked, i had a huge clientele and they all came in to see me weekly for their blow waves.
She paid me that extra $40 after I asked for a pay rise because I opened and closed the shop every day. Although I might of been earning that extra 40 but she only paid me from 9-5 and 9-9 when I was really working from 7-7 and 7-10 on the late nights..

I think most employers take advantage of the apprentices and it's pretty normal to get minimum wage and only get paid for 38 hours as an apprentice but you have been there for 7 years and have a huge clientele, you have the potential to have your own successful set up. Why settle for second best? This is a big lesson I learnt... You can earn x2 more by being self employed!
Being employed DOES hold you back!

I never liked the idea of helping someone else build their dreams because I have my OWN dreams that I want to chase & follow.

Use your talent to build your dreams. It won't be easy but I think it will definitely worth it. You will look back and see how far you went, so to me, it was worth it.

The only thing I lost was I would have completed my apprenticeship by now and would have been a qualified hairdresser, but since then I qualified in beauty, tried a few courses, learnt what I enjoyed and what I don't enjoy, I've almost got my eyelash line finished so that's a new venture. I'm also finishing off my hairdressing qualification in February, I'm setting up a home salon some time this year, I've got heaps of plans for my business.
I'm not completely there get but I am liking the way it's looking.
So don't be scared to leave if you want to, just work hard and make the life you want to have!

Ultimately, it will depend on your circumstances, do you pay rent? Have you got a partner to help you out? Do you have savings? These are a few questions you need to think about (not expecting you to answer them!)

You could start building your business while you're employed and think about what you need to do to have it kick off (obviously don't advertise).

If being self employed isn't an option for you then if I was for you I would definitely kindly ask for a pay rise since she cannot afford to lose you! But I'm afraid I don't know your employer so I can't really judge, but usually it's just a small fraction extra. (Which isn't much help)
Hth xx

It really sounds like you've made the most of your skills and talent! I understand where you are coming from as I started there at 15 as an apprentice and have worked my way up. But yes I still think they see me as good old reliable steph! I'll be asking for a raise above minimum wage AND a promotion. I really thought about the managing side of things too, our manager is there for 15 hours a week? I don't see how she can really know what's going on in the salon when she's never there!
I have my appraisal on Wednesday but I've got mine with the owner and the manager... I don't mind the manager being there but I have a lot to say about everything and not sure why she's sitting in on the appraisals. Are they allowed too?

Also yes I do pay rent with my bf on our place and I have to pay 650 a month which only leaves me live 200 to live off a month which mainly used on petrol etc! Just not a liveable wage!

I'm in Reading and I get £928 basic wage after tax/NI you should be on at least that x

I'm in Reading and I get £928 basic wage after tax/NI you should be on at least that x

What level are you? Do you do any training and assessing as well? Also what sort of salon you in?
Sorry for lots of questions I'm just intrigued :)

What level are you? Do you do any training and assessing as well? Also what sort of salon you in?
Sorry for lots of questions I'm just intrigued :)

Level 2 been qualified 2 years. No I'm literally just a stylist fully booked everyday and work in a small salon chain of 3 salons x

Level 2 been qualified 2 years. No I'm literally just a stylist fully booked everyday and work in a small salon chain of 3 salons x

Oh right, so I seriously should be paid more!! So do they pay you hourly or weekly?

In Australia I pay my casual $25 an hour! When I was employed full time I was on $23 during the week & $30 per hour on a Saturday! Then I got my super, sick days & holiday pay! It's crazy how big the difference is between countries!

But u should be making 3.5 times what ur wage is!

But u should be making 3.5 times what ur wage is!

Over here minimum wage is only 6.31 an hour... It's crazy haha

If I was you I would defiantly look to rent a chair somewhere or do mobile or something. It sounds like all your clients are loyal and your constantly busy as they are asking if you do hair outside of work. I would add up how much the salon are making from you working from every service roughly per week per month as you could be earning a lot more money! I would defiantly take the leap! Good luck :)

Oh right, so I seriously should be paid more!! So do they pay you hourly or weekly?

Yes lol. I'm not 21 yet so I'm only on £5 something an hour Aswell. Hourly

If I was you I would defiantly look to rent a chair somewhere or do mobile or something. It sounds like all your clients are loyal and your constantly busy as they are asking if you do hair outside of work. I would add up how much the salon are making from you working from every service roughly per week per month as you could be earning a lot more money! I would defiantly take the leap! Good luck :)

I'm thinking mobile is most defiantly the best thing to do! Thank you!

Yes lol. I'm not 21 yet so I'm only on £5 something an hour Aswell. Hourly

I get paid weekly you see it's only 220 before tax/ni weekly so roughly 880 before tax/ni a month and worked out I get roughy 5.86 an hour so you're are either on more an hour, work more hours or your commission is pretty good :).

Latest posts

Back