Break the salons rules?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a rough guide, your gross pay should be approx a third of the revenue you bring in each week. Make sure you have that information ready when you sit down with them. A 'fully booked' stylist in the greater London area should be bringing in around 1500 a week, and being paid around 500 before tax and NI.

A salon owner near me has just been done by Hmrc for paying below minimum...amazes me how long they get away with it.

Last edited:
Just ring Acas ASAP! Not sure what the rules are regarding commission forming part of your wage anymore? If they don't give you a pay rise leave.

Cant believe this still go's on and people just accept it ( on offence to your self) you defiantly need to report it, then go self employed if you are as busy as you say you are people will follow you, find you, do somthing for me, calculate how much money you take into the salon then how many hours you would have to work self employed to make your wage you get right now taking of a possible rent for a chair / travel and stock, by my ruff workings you would probably only have to work about 15 hour at the most , food for thought :)

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

As a rough guide, your gross pay should be approx a third of the revenue you bring in each week. Make sure you have that information ready when you sit down with them. A 'fully booked' stylist in the greater London area should be bringing in around 1500 a week, and being paid around 500 before tax and NI.

I take around 1200/1300 give or take a week and that's in the reading area my prices aren't very high either for my level I mean we are talking 22.50 a wet cut and 35.50 a cut and blowdry so I am working pretty full throttle to make the money I do for them!! And I get 220 a week. I take it long prices are a lot higher prices tho?

Cant believe this still go's on and people just accept it ( on offence to your self) you defiantly need to report it, then go self employed if you are as busy as you say you are people will follow you, find you, do somthing for me, calculate how much money you take into the salon then how many hours you would have to work self employed to make your wage you get right now taking of a possible rent for a chair / travel and stock, by my ruff workings you would probably only have to work about 15 hour at the most , food for thought :)

I'm starting to think I'm not as crazy as they make out I am when I say it's illegal and I can't physically live off my wage! I massive eye opener! Thank you!!

I'm starting to think I'm not as crazy as they make out I am when I say it's illegal and I can't physically live off my wage! I massive eye opener! Thank you!!

They are taking the p#** out of you big time, what about there other staff :-/

They are taking the p#** out of you big time, what about there other staff :-/

All the other staff are part time so do a maximum of 15/20 hours I believe yet get paid hourly and their commission works out better! There is only another two girls full time the level above me I'm not sure on what she gets but the girl below me only get 195 a week! It's stupid! Considering As I do the training and assessing for them as well and they don't seem to give me any extra for it! At my wits end!!!

You should be on about 400 a week gross pay if you're consistently bringing that in. That figure would include commission though, but not tips.

You should be on about 400 a week gross pay if you're consistently bringing that in. That figure would include commission though, but not tips.

I'm not sure how commission works tbh! I mean if I bring in 850 I get like 10 commission so for 1200 I get about 30 commission a week! I don't really understand the commission part as when I ask about it they so oh the commission brings your basic up :/

If the commission takes you to minimum then fine but must get at least minimum for every hour you work, I still think you need to get out as you are worth more the minimum wage :)

Attachments

• 1389271786147.jpg
    1389271786147.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 222
Actually its now illegal to top up minimum pay with commision and tips so you should be on minimum of 40hrs a week plus commision and tips so say minimum is 6.40hr times 40- 256.00 a week plus your tips and comission

However i would leave them now and go self employed and dont be afraid of telling your clients. They are not going by the book so why should you? Oh i would also ring up hrmc and get back paid for lord knows how much they owe you and work a notice period of say three months to give you time to find somewhere else thus being able to clients but also to make sure you get your back payments. If you just leave they may not pay you at all

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

As an aside, and maybe I'm being over-cautious. But you're posting on here suggesting you might do "foreigners" and implying that your employer might be trying to wangle out of paying minimum wage (and they're not here to defend themselves)...with what I assume is a picture of yourself as your avatar?....

Just be a bit careful :)

Not trying to be a smarty-pants, but just be aware that it's possible your employer might be on here too....

IMO Absolutely explore if you think you're not getting paid minimum wage (it's appalling that people try and get away with that ), but don't take people's numbers, your employers have a right to make a living too!

Last edited:
If the commission takes you to minimum then fine but must get at least minimum for every hour you work, I still think you need to get out as you are worth more the minimum wage :)

Thank you so much for all your helpful information, helps a lot :D

Sent from stephanielouise

As an aside, and maybe I'm being over-cautious. But you're posting on here suggesting you might do "foreigners" and implying that your employer might be trying to wangle out of paying minimum wage (and they're not here to defend themselves)...with what I assume is a picture of yourself as your avatar?....

Just be a bit careful :)

Not trying to be a smarty-pants, but just be aware that it's possible your employer might be on here too....

IMO Absolutely explore if you think you're not getting paid minimum wage (it's appalling that people try and get away with that ), but don't take people's numbers, your employers have a right to make a living too!

Thank you for your concern, I understand they aren't here to back themselves up but i am only asking advice as I'm not sure on how to handle the situation. I've had any good feed back to help me on my way, and I've have now gone on to find solid facts that they are under paying me. So a solution will be soon arriving :)

Ok you will need to relocate but I have the perfect job for you within my team ;-) lol
Seriously I would find close salon to rent a chair from ;-) good luck whatever you decide

Ok you will need to relocate but I have the perfect job for you within my team ;-) lol
Seriously I would find close salon to rent a chair from ;-) good luck whatever you decide

Haha and what job would that be? I may even be tempted haha! Thank you I have an appraisal on Wednesday so I'll get this all out into the open :)

Do you want to start out on your own or are you happy with being employed if you got a decent wage?

Do you want to start out on your own or are you happy with being employed if you got a decent wage?

I'd happily stay employed if it meant a decent wage, going it alone would be my last resort tbh.

I'd happily stay employed if it meant a decent wage, going it alone would be my last resort tbh.

Well then if it were me I'd just put the facts to them and explain you are keen to stay with them and enjoy being there but MUST be paid minimum wage or you will have to look at your options.

It's awful that in this day and age staff aren't paid mimimum wage

Latest posts

Back