Britain's hidden housing crisis

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with what your saying but if the system just now is allowing you more money shouldn't you claim it..

There are people claiming disability allowance who are clearly not disabled!

I know but it's principle for me personally.I have a house I have my benefit to help until I have someone that will employ me lol so that's all I need I'm hoping to be back in work asap and by then I will not need any benefit at all bar the standard benefit child benefit and so on.when I was working I was entitled to housing benefit still but I told them to stop it because I could afford to live and pay full rent with my wage.I don't like to take if I don't have to right now I need the benefit for my house but when I working I won't need it.x

Disability living allowance is being scrapped and replaced bye something called PIP. Why not apply for that when it comes out for your daughter. It's not all the same rate, you will be assessed and may get something each week. I have a friend who is caring for a severely disabled man so I know about this stuff through her x

I would defo get something my daughter has been entitled for 8 years nearly but like I said before I just don't want it.I get by with what I have and otheres need it more than us.

I think to many people claim it for silly things and it's not fair because it takes away from the people that need it.My daughter can walk ok we have to stop a few times on short walks because of her lungs but she can talk and feed herself so as far as I'm concerned we don't need it.Billie is a very poorly child but she has the main things unlike otheres who are less fortunate.XX

I would defo get something my daughter has been entitled for 8 years nearly but like I said before I just don't want it.I get by with what I have and otheres need it more than us.

I think to many people claim it for silly things and it's not fair because it takes away from the people that need it.My daughter can walk ok we have to stop a few times on short walks because of her lungs but she can talk and feed herself so as far as I'm concerned we don't need it.Billie is a very poorly child but she has the main things unlike otheres who are less fortunate.XX

It doesn't take away from people who need it, the government keep it and spend it on crap like cleaning moats and mowing the lawns at their second homes

It doesn't take away from people who need it, the government keep it and spend it on crap like cleaning moats and mowing the lawns at their second homes

I see what your saying but if people that don't really need it didnt get it maybe just maybe the people that truely needed it would get more because they don't get nearly enough to support them not in the slightest it's disgusting really.

I see what your saying but please re think its better in your pockets for your daughter than in other people's that don't need it!
Yes there are people worse off but as it stands just now your entitled. You might even get some back dated look into it please. x

You are more than entitled to it. I can't wait for pip to be introduced. There is a lady of my Facebook that claims dla and says that she can't get around etc and her joints hurt etc but yet she goes to theme parks, water parks, on holidays etc. she has a free car, free house and doesn't have to work. She eats out most weekends. Can't wait till she has an assessment for PIP.

It's there for people who need it, not for the lazy greedy people who don't want to work and contribute! X

A lady on my sisters facebook yesterday wrote something on her status like 'haha the woman with 11 kids getting a house for free good on her'

Everyone gave her loads of abuse for saying it lol & her comeback was ....... all of you p!ss off to work & earn me some cash, so she got more abuse & her answer to that was .....

while your out earning penny's I'm sat at home with my three kids earning pounds hahahaha.

So wrong!!! My sister showed me it & I was fuming, just takes the absolute P!SS

Hmmm

Last edited:
I would have absolutely no compunction whatsoever in reporting such a person to the DHSS (or whatever the current name for the department is!)

I would have absolutely no compunction whatsoever in reporting such a person to the DHSS (or whatever the current name for the department is!)

I always feel tempted... But then over come by guilt!
Even though I could guarantee these such people wouldn't think twice about doing it to me if I commuted such fraud! :-/ x

I see what your saying but if people that don't really need it didnt get it maybe just maybe the people that truely needed it would get more because they don't get nearly enough to support them not in the slightest it's disgusting really.

I agree with mm29 !! You are entitled and should be claiming! While you're not getting what you clearly should be there's ppl coming into this country and getting benefits that they have paid nothing towards! That money IS for your daughter x

I think if people had to work for their benefits within the community they would soon be able find a job!

I don't mean people that get additional benefits to up their salary but people on long term income support or job seekers

It amazes me how many people that dont work and claim say I wouldn't work for x amount!

This exactly my opinion.

My sisters best friend has been on job seekers allowance for 3 nearly 4 years. She gets her rent in a shared house paid for her and a her job seekers allowance.

She has to sign on every 2 weeks, and had to do a 6 week stint in a charity shop volunteering.

She says she won't work here, there, for this amount, where such and such works, she doesn't want to work weekends, she doesn't want to work bank holidays the list is endless. People like this should be made to work for the community to guarantee their benefits each week. The community would benefit the council would benefit and you'll be surprised how many people would then like to work in the jobs they had turned their nose up at before.

There should be more temporary help for people who are made redundant, and not so strict, everyone needs a bit of help regardless of their household income before they were made redundant. Why can't hard working people heave a bit of support when they need it. Even if its a low cost loan secured by future NI or income tax payments maybe working like student loans?

There should be more help (not necessarily financial help) for working parents. Maybe more council run holiday clubs for children from 3 +, there is nothing in my area I have to pay for private holiday car and for 3 children that costs a bomb! I'd happily pay for a council run holiday club.

In reality there are no hard or fast solutions to solving the benefit problems in this country, but I think they should start with long term job seekers and enforced community work and then go from there.

I'm in the lucky position of owning my house outright and not claiming benefit. However, on my street a family of 6 live in £350k private rent, neighbours go daft,NOT because of their benefit but the fact they are smelly common folk that lower the tone, seriously you dodge the park and no one allows their kids to
Mix with theirs, no one is snob round here either. I spoke to the mother and she told me she would need to get a job paying her £27k to make it worth her while working (she has a partner) and then I realised people on benefits have got some deluded ideas, especially when you pay them to live in fancy house. These social engineering experiments of moving benefit claimants into posh housing estate just leave the neighbours wound up especially people who are struggling to pay their mortgage!

This exactly my opinion.

My sisters best friend has been on job seekers allowance for 3 nearly 4 years. She gets her rent in a shared house paid for her and a her job seekers allowance.

She has to sign on every 2 weeks, and had to do a 6 week stint in a charity shop volunteering.

She says she won't work here, there, for this amount, where such and such works, she doesn't want to work weekends, she doesn't want to work bank holidays the list is endless. People like this should be made to work for the community to guarantee their benefits each week. The community would benefit the council would benefit and you'll be surprised how many people would then like to work in the jobs they had turned their nose up at before.

There should be more temporary help for people who are made redundant, and not so strict, everyone needs a bit of help regardless of their household income before they were made redundant. Why can't hard working people heave a bit of support when they need it. Even if its a low cost loan secured by future NI or income tax payments maybe working like student loans?

There should be more help (not necessarily financial help) for working parents. Maybe more council run holiday clubs for children from 3 +, there is nothing in my area I have to pay for private holiday car and for 3 children that costs a bomb! I'd happily pay for a council run holiday club.

In reality there are no hard or fast solutions to solving the benefit problems in this country, but I think they should start with long term job seekers and enforced community work and then go from there.

I defiantly think its the only way of changing this situation,

It seems to be children brought up on benefits end up claiming them long term too, it's easy money free house low bills..
It's a way of life for these people,
I mean people in receipt of long term benefits for no other reason than being a lazy sod, not working tax credit or child tax credit

Why don't they strive to do better or want more?

I had a "normal" working class upbringing but still want better for my girls.. (Will be tough but will try my hardest)

All comes down to education!

Exactly, I was feel sorry for them that they don't want better it's sad x

Latest posts

Back