Buffing to remove Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulieC1969

Reaction score
I have just had shellac removed at a salon for the first time. They used a buffer to remove the polish instead of acetone. My nails look good but feel very weak. I would be really grateful to know whether this is the correct procedure. It certainly didn't feel normal to me, my nails felt as though they were burning. Many thanks.

No, with Shellac there is no need to file to remove it, it can be soaked off.

It depends if you have actually had Shellac its self, some people call any gel polish Shellac & sometimes even gel overlays. Some gel overlays need a file before a soak off, hard gels are buffed off not soaked off. Did you have the removal at the same salon as they were applied?

The original Shellac is CND Shellac.

Hope that helps.

Xx

This is exactly what happened to a client of mine. She was told by a salon they use authentic shellac but it wasn't because when I tried to remove it the acetone wouldn't crumble it off. She told me they had buffed the nail before application and once buffed it off with a nail drill. shellac needs no buffing to the nail bed before hand and no buffing off so there's literally no damage to the natural nail.

xProjectPrettyx

Thank you so much for the replies. I knew this couldn't be right, but I am new to getting my nails done so wasn't sure. I am disappointed because I had the removal at the salon to try and protect my nails and now feel that they are worse. They look good at the moment because he applied varnish afterwards, but I can tell they are noticeable thinner and I have only had shellac twice, so it is not long term usage.

Yes I went back to same salon who had done the 'shellac', I am now thinking that it was probably not CND shellac. I am going to go in today to investigate. I ordered solar oil last night too so hopefully that will help restore my nails!!! I know it isn't the end of the world, but having what felt like the equivalent of a dentist drill on my NATURAL nails was not a good experience!

Eeeekkkk no, doesnt sound good!

CND do have a salon locator on their website, so you could take a look on there for a salon using Shellac 😊 xx

Thanks, I think I will be giving Shellac a rest for a bit and let my nails get back to normal! I called at the salon today, the owner was not in, but the person I spoke to did not seem surprised that the machine (no idea of its name, but works like an angle grinder!) had been used. Apparently this is a quicker way of removing it.

They do use CND but also OPI. None of this means very much to me (as a non beautician) but I am still in shock that these people think it is OK to take layers off a natural nail. Good thing is that I have no ridges on my nails any more ;) they are super smooth (and thin :sad:).

Julie if you are in the UK look on www.loveshellac.com for your nearest CND Shellac provider. Everyone on there should be following the correct procedure and will be using all of the correct products and equipment.

Steph xx

Thanks again, I am glad I found this site! you are very helpful and generous with your advice. I have looked and the place I went to is not registered. I am living and learning with this nail thing! I will see how my nails recover and try again at a registered salon. I am still going back to speak to the owner though. I do not think they are trying to cover up bad practice they just dont seem to realise...............

The salon needs to send their entire staff on a CND Shellac course because shellac is extremely easy and quick to robe by soaking in pure acetone. It literally crumbles off the nail. They seem to be making excuses for using the machine.

xProjectPrettyx

Hello again, thanks for the replies. I have now taken off the clear polish he put on, and revealed that my nails really do look bad. They have been splitting vertically, all week.

I went back to the salon today and spoke with the owner, she has offered to re shellac them as this will give them some strength, which I understand, but really is it better if I just apply oil and wait? I never usually have my nails done, so it's not a problem for me, I just want my nice natural nails back!! I got my solar oil in the post today... I really appreciate your thoughts. This site is great!

If it was me I wouldn't go back for another treatment there xx

I would leave them how they are for now, let them breathe and grow out. Solar oil is amazing, I'd def recommend that you use it daily. Well I tend to apply it at night before bed as my hands will be resting throughout the night so the oil will stay longer and sink in properly.

xProjectPrettyx

Latest posts

Back