Business plan - what do you all think honestly?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glamourpit

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I'm new on here and really need you lovely peoples help and advice..

I currently work as a nursing assistant in the hospital and am looking for a career change..I've got an idea in what I really would like to do but need your views and honesty on what you think!

You know when you know what you want to do but find it hard to explain, we'll that's happening right now 😂

In Essex/Liverpool I've seen that there's glamorous blow dry and makeup bars such as 'Chloe's bar' 'Lauren's way' and 'peaches and cream'..you basically have a choice of 5 hair styles and 5 make up looks for a set price off the menu and the client choses there desire look for the occasion - hen/baby shower/girls night out etc

I'm going to do it mobile to start off :)

( think) I've already found a hair up/plate/celebrity class for my hair with capital...had anyone done or can recommend any classes which off glamorous styles and bouncy do's!

Also does anyone have any recommendations in any makeup classes which I could do? I'm in south east and can travel to London!! ☺️

Any advice on this idea? What do you all honesty think?

This is just an idea of the types I'm looking for below:

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1413163165.179648.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1413163177.681436.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1413163191.733130.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1413163209.719064.jpg

While this may help clients to decide on a particular look in a salon , I think people prefer bespoke make up when done freelance, they want to know their make up look will be individually tailored to suit them. I think you would be putting people off by having set looks.

By all means use them as guides to understand what you clients want but don't stick to them too rigidly :)

Have no recommendations for make up courses as I'm based in Ireland but I have found that most of a make up artists skill is in what they do after they've qualified, it's all practise really :)

Good for you for having a dream and wanting to follow it..
In my opinion from originally coming from up north (now living down south)
Peaches and Cream works in Liverpool because most Liverpool girls LOVE full on glamour, glitter and heavy makeup.
The two ladies who set up peaches trained for years in hair and makeup, they clearly know their target audience and run a very successful business.
Their 'key looks' such as a full smoke with glitter, is something which just wouldn't go down well with my clients down here and isn't really my personal style.
I think your really need to look at your surrounding target audience, what is missing? Look at how much money you have to get some training, then you need to build your kit which can cost between £1'000-£3'000 for a decent well rounded kit (again my opinion)
Xx

Thank you so much that's really really helpful!!

Can I ask, do you have any recommendations of hair and make up courses I can do for a beginner? I'm
Thinking of going to peaches and cream to attend there course when I'm comfortable with make up!

Also, can you recommend any good suppliers for brushes etc c

Thank you so much that's really really helpful!!

Can I ask, do you have any recommendations of hair and make up courses I can do for a beginner? I'm
Thinking of going to peaches and cream to attend there course when I'm comfortable with make up!

Also, can you recommend any good suppliers for brushes etc c

I think it really depends on what makeup road you want to go down.. A lot of very successful makeup artists are self taught such as Mario Dedicanovic and the late Kevin Aucoin who worked their way up by starting working on makeup counters then assisting..Then you have other artists who went to the London School of fashion to study makeup which costs thousands of pounds..
I think these days its best to maybe do a couple of little courses (such as peaches if that's the style of makeup you like) then look into working on a makeup counter, it's a great way to work on many different faces and build up your kit!

You will find it hard to get a supplier to get makeup brushes when you don't have any qualifications yet,, you can get MAC Pro cards, Bobbi Brown, Crown to name a few but you need to be a working makeup artist to get these privileges, so Comp cards, linking up with new photographers to get some good shots is always good, again though I would recommend trying to get work on a makeup counter to build up your kit and get a good discount through them x

Latest posts

Back