Chinese Nails HELP!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannabe

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a wannabe nail tech, but still haven't got round to sorting out any training :o but I wanted your advice on something pleeease!

I had some nail extensions at the weekend in one of these chinese nail bars, very cheap, very quick...no probs! I rarely get my nails done, and when I do, I usually use the same salon, but this was New Years Eve and they were fully booked. Anyways...I'm really not getting along with the nails at all, they seem rock hard to me, and are way too long, but I've tried filing them down, and am getting no where. I rang my local salon who asked if I'd been to a Vietnamese time salon and when I said yes, they said they wouldn't cut them cos the'd end up shattering, cos they're too hard, and it would take too long to file them, so they basically said no!

Am I stuck with long nails?? And is it normal for them to feel so hard? They are not flexible at all...but I guess that's the point of extensions isn't it?? As I said, I rarely get my nails done (have 2 kids, so never see the point) but on this one occasion, I'm wishing I hadn't bothered.

Also, will it cost me a bomb now to get them removed and done by a *normal* salon?

x

Hiya xx

I cant see why they cant be filled down...even if it does take a while..the salon you rang should have just charged accordingly and done it...i would have.

To have these removed you really should get them soaked off by a professional...just ring another salon and ask them.

as to training to be a nail technician...type in training in the search option and you will find lots of threads giving help about that.

best of luck xx

any reputable salon should be able to reduce the length of your enhancements for a small charge or even none at all if meant they would gain you as a client, i know i would, you should also be able to go to a non nss salon for your maintaience. HTH

What's a non NSS salon?

non standard salon

ring another salon or two.......filing them down should take them no time at all and as the other girls said....who knows maybe you're a potential client so i cant see why they would turn you away?

Amb x

and don't go back to the salon where you got them done! they are evil places and they will drill it off and wreck your nails! choose another REPUTABLE salon or Creative trained tech.

Hang on, why are they evil places? Cos they're chinese? Am I missing something here? I really hope someone's not about to tell me they're illegal! How would you know this anyway without me even telling you who they are or where they're based?

Mega confused :I

maybe evil was the wrong word... have a look at the article MMA by The Nail Geek, also search the threads for 'NSS' (non standard salons), this should give you a better idea as to why these salons aren't reputable. It's not just because of the nationality of the people who work there, it's also down to them being unhygenic, not following standard practise, using MMA, wrecking the nail plate by over filing with an e-file (or drill)... there's much more to a NSS than meets the eye.

evil LOL. well, maybe that was a bit strong, they don't practice devil worship or anything.

These places are called non standard salons.... this might sound familiar, the salan was full of vietnamese/chinese/east asian techs and your tech didn't speak english?

they are renouned for using a really hard/poisonous substances in their products call MMA. Its so hard that it they need to use electric files to get it off. electric files aren't evil either... as long as they are in the correct hands... but these techs are renouned for not being very careful, often causing damage to the natural nail plate with their e-files. people who go to them often complain they were in pain during their rebalance/removal and their nails were wrecked after. we have often heard of them doing things like pushing a cuticle scraper under the edge of the nail and popping them off to get them off! and then telling their clients its normal that it hurts. just be careful hun. any pain is not good!

wannabe said:
Hang on, why are they evil places? Cos they're chinese? Am I missing something here? I really hope someone's not about to tell me they're illegal! How would you know this anyway without me even telling you who they are or where they're based?

Mega confused :I

Hunny a lot of places run by Orientals use practices to make them quick so don't panic! They're not illegal, but thus type of salon often use less than acceptable practices and so they all get tarred with the same brush.

When looking for a salon try and make sure that they sanitise tools between clients, that they sanitise your hands and theirs at the beginning of every service. They should offer a full consultation (to include deciding what length is suitable for your lifestyle), and give aftercare. At no point during the treatment should you feel discomfort, if you do then let the technician know immediately. A good one will make sure that it doesn;t happen again - a bad one will tell you this is normal and carry o making you suffer so they can get the job done as quickly as possible. Also they should offer safe removal that shouldn't damage your natural nails - either by soaking off, or gentle file off depending on the product you have. AND THIS APPLIES TO ANY SALON OR TECH, NOT JUST ONES RUN BY ORIENTALS.

Guys I think this is what Cec was trying to highlight in her recent thread about NSS. Be very careful in your choice of words as you can often scare someone. Ensure that you make someone realise what they SHOULD look for in a salon, and not focus on the bad things.

HTH

Oh lordy! So that's why they're so bloody hard?? I knocked my thumb nail the same day I had them done, and it hurt soooooooo badly and I got a teeny little crack in the corner of the nail...but my nail bed was killing me for two days. If that had been a natural nail, it would have just snapped off, cos I knocked it that hard...but that's how I thought extensions were supposed to be...realistic...not some reinforced over hard plastic!!

My tech who was a man, didn't speak English...and he used this whizzer thing to file over my natural nail and on one nail, I got a shooting pain, like he'd filed down too far, you know? Makes me shiver thinking about it now! He also got me to dry my nails under a lamp...which I'm convinced was an ordinary desk lamp, not a UV one...obviously I'm not an expert, but does this sound normal??

Something which did make me cringe, was that they had one towel hanging over the sink, which 3 people used before me (that I saw) and by the time it was my turn, the towel was soaking wet and I didn't feel comfy at all. Usually I'd have asked for a new one, but they don't speak English! They didn't take card either, so I had to trek miles trying to find a cash point...it did cross my mind to not bother going back, but I had visions of triads chasing me down, so I went back lol.

I've just read up on NSS threads, and I'm feeling really uncomfy still wearing these nails. I found a Creative salon in town and asked how much to remove and reapply and I was quite shocked when she said £55, as I really didn' want to spend out this kind of money within a week of having them done...she said I could have a newly trained girl for £35, but I should be aware that her work might not be up to scratch, and I shouldn't expect it to be perfect. I was even more shocked by this comment...cos surely she should be advertising her staff in a more positive way!!

Anyway, I'm going to shop around and maybe try and find a reputable salon that might try and do me a favour and try and save me a bit of cash...cos as has been said before, I will become a regular client, but I'm not happy to pay out £55 in the process! Does this sound a normal cost to you?

x

costs can vary between salons/mobile techs and areas. ask around for a few more quotes hun.

If there is nothing actually wrong with the nails you have on, other than the length, then why have them removed? You should be able to have them infilled, although the new product may be a different colour to the existing one, but this could be diguised with a plae polish. Obviously aestethically the best way would be to start again, but if your finances won't go that far then you don't have to.

BTW don't assume that you have MMA nails, I have an NSS near me and they don;t use MMA but they are still mega hard and strong.

I have heard of people who have asked for gel, but they still use l&P (liquid and powder acrylic), got them to put it under a normal light bulb (all this does is cure the l&p a bit quicker due to the heat) and charge them extra by calling it gel, when it plainly isn't!

No wonder you're confused with it all!

Well the cost I was given included the removal which is £10...so we're still talking £45...or £25 for the student, but after the way she pre-warned me about her, I don't think I'll risk it.

The nails do feel really hard, and I'm aware of them on my fingers...maybe if I have them filed down first and see how I go??

If I start having them filled with a reputable salon, how long will it actually take for the existing product to disappear?

x

wannabe said:
If I start having them filled with a reputable salon, how long will it actually take for the existing product to disappear?

Hi,

That depends totally on how quickly your nails grow. I've noticed that you are from Basingstoke. I'm sure there is a Creative Tech on here who comes from the same area, I just cant for the life of me remember her name...

River

River said:
Hi,

That depends totally on how quickly your nails grow. I've noticed that you are from Basingstoke. I'm sure there is a Creative Tech on here who comes from the same area, I just cant for the life of me remember her name...

River

It's Caz hun. aka Inspirations

Thanks Sass ! :D

I kept thinking it was NailStyle but I knew it wasn't her.

:o Inspirations is the salon I called!! Hope she doesn't think I've been badmouthing her...just my opinion and all that!

Latest posts

Back