Client nail infection

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielleB

Danielle
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm new to this site and have recently set up a home salon so I'm constantly learning, I feel like I should know this but I'm not 100% sure so any advice would be much appreciated!

I've had a client for Shellac who had what looks like a fungal nail infection on her pinky nail. Please could I have some advice on what this is, how it happens and if it is infectious/ am I safe to do the shellac treatment?

She said she thinks she got it from a previous salon using unclean tools or from them for some reason as it appeared after she had a nail service there. She's had it a while and said it doesn't seem to be going away and she has been to another salon for shellac since it appeared.

Here's a pic xx

Attachments

• IMG_3554.JPG
    IMG_3554.JPG
    440.2 KB · Views: 381
I'd get her to get it checked out by a doctor as it possibly could be. I wouldn't do any treatment for it until she's been given the all clear by a doctor. If you did anything, you're risking cross-infection and contamination, even though I'm sure you clean and sterilise all of your tools :) it's always better to be safe than sorry xx

It looks like nail seperation to me but I'm no expert. If it is a fungal nail infection don't go anywhere near it, it's highly infections and will contaminate all your kit which may contaminate clients or yourself X

Thanks ladies, I have told my client to go to the doctor and that I cannot do a treatment until the doctor has cleared it. Fingers crossed! X

Its onycholisis, separation of the nail from the nail bed - this should have been covered in your training. Usually from trauma, over buffing, damage, etc. Nothing fungal there, no reason for wasting a doctors time.

Google will supply plenty of information. I would suggest getting a text book such as The Complete Nail Technician by Marian Newman, best money you'll ever spend

Its onycholisis, separation of the nail from the nail bed - this should have been covered in your training. Usually from trauma, over buffing, damage, etc. Nothing fungal there, no reason for wasting a doctors time.

Google will supply plenty of information. I would suggest getting a text book such as The Complete Nail Technician by Marian Newman, best money you'll ever spend
Absolutely second this

Believe me I've seen fungal and this is not it!! Keep the nail short tho to avoid further separation from the nailbed

Thank you for your advice!

This nail has onycholysis :) The best way to treat it is to reduce length and place a protective layer (like shellac!) over it.

Keeping the length will allow too much movement on the nail so that's why she should shorten it. Then as the nail grows up it will reattach itself :)

As the seal under the nail has been broken she should also take care to keep the nail clean and dry :)

Latest posts

Back