Client saying they could have done with 2nd coat

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francheska-May

Reaction score
Hey, so this is my first post on here so I'm a little nervous!

So, I've recently just started up doing Spray tanning again after taking a break after falling pregnant with my first child. I've had really good reviews on my Facebook from the tans I've done recently however today I sprayed a client who has left a review saying that they love their tan but they could have done with another coat. (I use Tan Truth and have done for a long time, love their products). I used Tan Truth the fast tan on this client. I always make sure when a client books in with me that I explain all the appropriate prep things e.g exfoliate etc. I also explained that with the fast tan it can take 2-4 hours to develop but for the darker results leave for the full 4 hours. The client said they didn't want to be very dark so they wouldn't want to leave it on that long. I sprayed the client and they came out a lovely dark bronzed colour & I explained again for darker results leave on longer and that it was a guide colour.

I just feel a bit disheartened that the client has said that they could have done with another coat when I explained to leave it on longer for darker results and when I've messaged them they've said they only left it 2 hours before showering. Maybe I'm just taking it too much to heart but it's made me feel a bit disheartened :( x

It does annoy me this "2 coats"business! Once your sprayed your sprayed the "2nd coat " would just be a placebo for the client! Your skin can only absorb so much & it's the DHA % in the tan that causes the colour change in the skin NOT THE AMOUNT YOU PUT ON!! reply on FB with that answer! Xx

Thank you for your reply! :) I wasn't sure if I was over reacting but I'm glad you understand, I just feel like I couldn't have explained more to the client about leaving the tan on longer for darker results xx

Are you able to reply to the review?

She text me yesterday morning saying she loved the tan and it was darker in the morning :) xx

It does annoy me this "2 coats"business! Once your sprayed your sprayed the "2nd coat " would just be a placebo for the client! Your skin can only absorb so much & it's the DHA % in the tan that causes the colour change in the skin NOT THE AMOUNT YOU PUT ON!! reply on FB with that answer! Xx

Why do St.Tropez say to spray your client twice then?

Why do St.Tropez say to spray your client twice then?

Some tanning brands prefer to do 2 light coats instead of 1 medium coat, probably to make sure there is no missed bits. Nearly all brands recommend to use no more than 50mls per client , so its swings and roundabout wither or not you want to do 2 coats of 25 mls or one coat of 50 mls, its obviously quicker to do one coat and that is what i choose to do .

doing 2 coats of 50mls will not actually make the client any darker as mentioned previously, and can even cause a scaling effect from having too much solution on the skin (it makes for a bad wear off too) , hope that helps :)

Some tanning brands prefer to do 2 light coats instead of 1 medium coat, probably to make sure there is no missed bits. Nearly all brands recommend to use no more than 50mls per client , so its swings and roundabout wither or not you want to do 2 coats of 25 mls or one coat of 50 mls, its obviously quicker to do one coat and that is what i choose to do .

doing 2 coats of 50mls will not actually make the client any darker as mentioned previously, and can even cause a scaling effect from having too much solution on the skin (it makes for a bad wear off too) , hope that helps :)

@Spray tan jane agrees that 2 coats of solution makes for a darker tan.... I definitely use more than 50mls per client.

@Spray tan jane agrees that 2 coats of solution makes for a darker tan.... I definitely use more than 50mls per client.

Obviously many things can affect how much solution it takes to completely saturate a persons skin, such as the machine , the amount of over spray the size of the person etc 50 mls is normally enough to saturate a persons skin, more than that leaves them sticky (solution is just sitting on the surface of the skin). If two sprays works well for you and you are happy with the results , thats totally cool ! :) I just see it a waste of time and solution :)

Obviously many things can affect how much solution it takes to completely saturate a persons skin, such as the machine , the amount of over spray the size of the person etc 50 mls is normally enough to saturate a persons skin, more than that leaves them sticky (solution is just sitting on the surface of the skin). If two sprays works well for you and you are happy with the results , thats totally cool ! :) I just see it a waste of time and solution :)

I have a hvlp machine and I use 100mls on myself alone.... I contacted whitetobrown and they said 1000ml bottle would get 10-14 people... So 100mls ✖ 10 people is 1000mls... so that's accurately average for me!

I have a hvlp machine and I use 100mls on myself alone.... I contacted whitetobrown and they said 1000ml bottle would get 10-14 people... So 100mls ✖ 10 people is 1000mls... so that's accurately average for me!

Cool :) If that is what your tanning provider recommends then I would stick with that :)

Interesting how different brands and equipment vary the amount of solution we use.
I mainly use St tropez, with the tanning essentials Pro v system.
I do spray fairly close, and always do 2 light/medium coats.
40 mls is my average usage per person.;)

Interesting how different brands and equipment vary the amount of solution we use.
I mainly use St tropez, with the tanning essentials Pro v system.
I do spray fairly close, and always do 2 light/medium coats.
40 mls is my average usage per person.;)

I feel like any tan mousse or spray tan can go darker with 2 coats. Obvi drying time in between... If it wasn't true why would Kim K's spray tan tech put 3 or more layers on her?

I have a hvlp machine and I use 100mls on myself alone.... I contacted whitetobrown and they said 1000ml bottle would get 10-14 people... So 100mls [emoji808] 10 people is 1000mls... so that's accurately average for me!
I agree if that's what they recommend however the average is 50ml per tan as I'm sure your other training covered

I feel like any tan mousse or spray tan can go darker with 2 coats. Obvi drying time in between... If it wasn't true why would Kim K's spray tan tech put 3 or more layers on her?

No idea....o_O
I'm no tanning expert....., but when I trained they said your skin reacts to the product, so we all colour up slightly different.
I know if I over spray, the skin looks 'mottled' and wears patchy.:oops:
I set the gun on either 3 or 4, and do light sweeps down the body.
St tropez dries instantly on the skin, so no 'runs'.
There is a dark tan version, which is quite nice...again, only ever done 2 coats, I find that dark enough.:cool:

Do you know what brand Kim uses.....?
To be honest, it never crossed my mind she 'faked it', I assumed she was naturally that colour.

I was told in my training that 40-50ml should be used for a tan, and that anything over that you are over spraying and wasting solution.. I was also told that if you spray someone twice its not going to make them any darker. If they are sprayed in a 12% solution and you do it 2 or 3 times, they are still only going to reach a 12% because thats all you have sprayed them with. If they want to be darker you would need to spray in a higher %.xx

I usually tan a body twice and average 50ml each tan. The second coat is just a light one to make sure I've covered the whole body. I always tan faces twice unless they don't want it.

I also always sprayed twice. Not so much to be darker but to make sure the whole body is covered evenly, never had a mottled affect..I still get plenty of tans out of one bottle. I think it always depends body shape etc with the amount used.

Latest posts

Back