Clientzilla

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

essentia

Reaction score
Hi there, need a bit of advice about a client. Long term, very loyal client, prone to emotional scenes. I was stunned recently when she made it quite clear that she felt she deserved more than just getting her treatments for the money. I reiterated that she always received way over and above the allocated time (especially when having a crisis of some sort) and that I was always testing and on the look out for new and quality products to give my clients the best. In the past I have given her small free treatments and products. She was also miffed that I did not send her an Xmas card (she was away for Xmas). I do not usually send them anyway. The trouble is other clients feel that they also want extras if they know she has received them! She also keeps saying she is my 'best' client but that is not true. I do not expect my hairdresser/bank etc to give me freebies or send me cards, just provide good service. I really do not know what to do. I do not want to offer discounts etc but I will give out cards at Xmas for limited offers but in the past I have never found this fruitful. I feel I am really being squeezed at the mo and it does not feel right. Thanks.:eek:

I think sometimes the more you do for people, the more they expect from you.

I've had only one client like this, who roared at me in a busy salon when I told her that the date she wanted to have her nails done was not available.... she said she was my best client and wanted to know "who are all these people"..I nearly died and went bright red.

Then I took her aside and very nicely told her that I value each and every one of my clients and no one gets preferential treatment.

Stop the freebies is my advice, as it looks like you've spoilt her a little bit... which is lovely, but you're paying for it now.
:hug:

There will always be the client that expects more than is her right to expect.

Bottom Line = YOU ARE RUNNING A BUSINESS.

It is NOT your job to act as her shrink. While, in our business, we are frequently sympathetic ears to our clients; it should stop there.
She should not be taking up more of your time than any other client, no matter what chaos is going on in her life.
Granted, sometimes there are exceptional circumstances. HOWEVER some clients are Drama Queens and Energy-Sucking-Vampires that will burn you out if given half a chance.
If she wants a shrink, let her pay for one by the hour.
If she wants you, she can pay for that extra hour too, if you are so inclined.

Freebies.. Yes, I'm as guilty as the next of throwing a little extra 'free of charge' towards my clients that are loyal and who spoil me rotten with generous tips and who are CONSIDERATE of my time and efforts.
BUT you do NOT owe her a single thing. As I said... THIS IS A BUSINESS AND IT'S YOUR JOB. The point is to MAKE a PROFIT and NOT to lose money.
Does she work for her boss for free? I'm going to bet NO.

Between her demand of freebies & and her inconsiderate abuse of your time it sounds like she's COSTING you money.

Put your foot down. Perhaps book her before or following a client that DOES appreciate you and treat you with consideration so she can see the difference. Point out little things to make a point. After said client leaves "oh, she spoils me rotten, that one." The demanding client will be curious and ask why... this is your opportunity to point out all the ways in which other clients treat you with respect and consideration such as: she's always on time, she never cancels without minimum 48hr notice, she gave me this lovely blahblah at xmas, she tips generously, she is always cheerful and relaxed and we have a pleasant chat, she appreciates that at anywhere else for this same service it costs XYZ more like at her old salon.......
Get my drift?

As for freebies, if you are still going to give them: make it clear to those recipients that they are NOT to say a word to anyone or you won't do it anymore, else it creates jealousy etc among clients.
What you give to one client is no one else's business but YOURS. PERIOD.

Personally, the only type of freebies I give are of the hand painted variety which cost no more than my time OR the occasional sample sized Balm or Oil (promoting my products with intent to sell...) OR if they've gone "all out" and "OTT" with their nails, I might charge a tad less here or there to make a kind of 'package deal', so to speak. Along the lines of "oh, since you got X, and Y, and Z; I'll give you 5$ off on Z as thanks for your custom"

Back to the energy-sucking-vampire: my experience with those has caused me to become "unavailable". When I start dreading the arrival of a certain client, and they exhaust me with their drama, and demand more than is 'fair' ... time to show them the door.
Love being my own boss; there are certain perks.

If you don't care to go that route, then start charging for every tiny little thing, down to the last rhinestone or flick of the striper. When she balks, point out that due to some people's innability to remain discreet about their priveledges, some clients have complained and so you are choosing to treat everyone EQUALLY to avoid any further complications. Remain steadfast and adamant about being fair to ALL.

hope this helps:hug:

I can relate to what's going on here. I have a client who used to have a hollywood, half leg, brows and lip and I used to charge her £x. Now she is a very hard working single parent so when she wanted to also have her underarms waxed, I didn't actually charge her any extra. Then she stopped having her legs done so the bill dropped by £15. Then I started resenting the free underarm wax.... But how do you tell a client you've changed your mind about the freebies you gave them?? I mean, if you have been giving this lady regular freebies she is going to notice if her bills goes up to cover them.

With regard to the Xmas card (lol! she's obviously a nutcase!) I would totally let this wash over me. I would probably simply change the subject.

I had a client give me aggro recently about something. She went a bit nutty about it and she looked totally mental. I totally ignored her. I just thought to myself, 'you are lucky I have been putting up with you for so long! go and find some other mug with a very long fuse!'

Hmm. I realise I'm not being very helpful here. Maybe just withdraw from her. Stop showing interest in her problems when she's telling you about them, and maybe tell her that you're pushed for time, e.g. 'you know I hate to rush, but I really need to finish your treatment at 2 o'clock today as I have another client coming.'

If she doesn't like it, she can go and look for another therapist. She'll be back when she realises the grass wasn't greener.

Incidentally, what advice would you give someone else if they had posted this thread? I'm not being facetious :D

Oh dear! I would stop the freebies! Once you give someone a freebie once they will expect it all the time!
I had a lady once getting her hair done in the salon I rent a room from who asked if I would file her nail down as she broke it getting out the car. So I got my file out and filled it. Then she asked me to do the other 9 nails as it meant they were all longer than the broken one. So I quickly done it. Then she asked if I had anything to buff them with as they looked so dull. So I spent a good 10mins with her and she didnt even offer me a tip or ask if I wanted anything for it!
Some people take your kindness too far!

I can relate to what's going on here. I have a client who used to have a hollywood, half leg, brows and lip and I used to charge her £x. Now she is a very hard working single parent so when she wanted to also have her underarms waxed, I didn't actually charge her any extra. Then she stopped having her legs done so the bill dropped by £15. Then I started resenting the free underarm wax.... But how do you tell a client you've changed your mind about the freebies you gave them?? I mean, if you have been giving this lady regular freebies she is going to notice if her bills goes up to cover them.

With regard to the Xmas card (lol! she's obviously a nutcase!) I would totally let this wash over me. I would probably simply change the subject.

I had a client give me aggro recently about something. She went a bit nutty about it and she looked totally mental. I totally ignored her. I just thought to myself, 'you are lucky I have been putting up with you for so long! go and find some other mug with a very long fuse!'

Hmm. I realise I'm not being very helpful here. Maybe just withdraw from her. Stop showing interest in her problems when she's telling you about them, and maybe tell her that you're pushed for time, e.g. 'you know I hate to rush, but I really need to finish your treatment at 2 o'clock today as I have another client coming.'

If she doesn't like it, she can go and look for another therapist. She'll be back when she realises the grass wasn't greener.

Incidentally, what advice would you give someone else if they had posted this thread? I'm not being facetious :D

I think a lot of this depends on what environment you work in. If you are in a salon and she kicks off in front of others I would take her to one side and tell her that if she causes a scene again then she will not be welcome in the salon. I work alone in a home salon and I have very well behaved clients, trained for many years! I started out making mistakes, giving freebies etc, now I charge really fair prices for what I do.

If I was giving something free and someone stopped having one of their treatments done then I would explain then and there that I would not be able to do the other for free and would have to charge for that in future.

I reduce the cost of treatments when they have several done together, if they drop one then the rest go up a bit. It works well as when they discover that they are not saving as much as they thought they often just keep the whole lot on.

I don't like confrontation but I run a business that I have worked many years and and I work bloody hard and I refuse to let anyone take advantage of me in any way at all. In return I am more than fair with my lovely ladies.

Regarding Christmas cards, I have always given them, that is just my preference but if I didn't I certainly wouldn't be intimidated into doing it!!

With this particular client you can either ignore what she says or stand your ground. I find mentioning that I have a waiting list is always useful for clients who are getting a little too big for their boots! :green:

Reading through your story it strikes me that what you are not realising is that she needs you allot more than you need her.

Loyalty seems questionable as she ia actually making you pay for her so called loyalty.

I agree with the other experienced ladies who have taken the time to advise you. Stop treating her like a special case. :hug:

You sound like a lovely caring person and that is important in our business but don't forget the BUSINESS which is why you are working!

Jane (Essentia) and I both have home salons. You are very right, if they kicked off in a salon environment that would have to be nipped in the bud sharpish. I think in a home salon, nutty aggressive confrontational clients can be intimidating too, i.e. when it's just you and them, although I am old enough and ugly enough to intimidate them right back. Although to be honest I wouldn't, I would take a passive approach, because often they get over it on their own. What I mean is, the badly behaved ones are not always awful, they just have their bad days and just can't help themselves :lol:

I think the bottom line is though, when we work for ourselves, we don't have to put up with it. It's our decision whether we take action against it or put up with it. Sometimes we want to take action against it but don't because the confrontation can be uncomfortable.

Reading through your story it strikes me that what you are not realising is that she needs you allot more than you need her.

Too true!

You get it in normal salon situations too. Some people love an audience. Life is too short to deal with aggressive difficult nutters. I tell them to find another hairdresser. I will not grovel for the sake of money.
There are always tricky people around, but it is how you deal with them that count. I think also you get experienced at spotting the potential nutters and keep them at arms length.

I did actually stop in the middle of a haircut of a loud, obnoxious bully in a packed salon, and say "if you cannot be civilised I am not prepared to continue as I will not be spoken to like this". She backed down shamefaced and all the other clients were thrilled at the show.

Thanks for all your replies. Some interesting points have been made, which I have taken on board. I suppose with this client the situation has grown without me really seeing it until now. She is booked in tomorrow so I will see how it goes. :hug:

Jane - I used to send all my clients Christmas and birthday cards but with a client base of nearly 300 it got too expensive. I now send them Jacqui Lawson e-cards which is £11 for 2 years for up to 500 clients. You can send as many cards as you want and you can schedule them in advance making it all very easy.
E-cards from Jacquie Lawson. Animated Holiday Greetings, Musical Cards and more E-cards featuring Chudleigh.

I know this won't help with the immediate situation though, but it might be of interest to you anyway!
Good luck for tomorrow!

I use Jacquie Lawson too, I have had my monies worth a few times over it's worth it and easy to use.

(Clientzilla sounds a right one)!:eek:

Some clients tryit on others dont, I have found lately with me personally I have few clients whom are tend to ,,ahem,,, loosing a nail, so I replace complimentary or inc of fill, but more i do this I have found certain clients will think,,ohh great need few new nails, or one has been biten , oh well il say it came off play on lates good nature she will drive over sit and replace nails for over 1hr in all and she wont charge, and if i dont, they will do all the more.

Another client whom has never ever called me out for replacment did so last week,,, she stook £10 in my bag fo 2 nails,,,I would always go lout my way for clients whom are honest,,honesty pays.

Long story short as prev posters say there is no love or friendship in business,,your time is money, treat your clients well they will too,, if you start acting weak, certain clients will walk all over you.

I was observing the air hosteses on my flight the other week and one lady and her partner were a little bit worse for wear, when the hostess came around, the lady said ohh were awful dry he feels sick, to which the hostess replied" would you like some water, they said ohh yes please we are de hydrated, to which she said fine,,, £1.70 please....welll the look she said" we have to pay",,, yes ofcourse,,,,,they gave water back and got free water from where I dont know,,,,,My moral is show weakness and people feed off this,,,,xxx

Latest posts

Back