Comments about my website

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha yes, I know the one you mean! Do you do website design too - I'm guessing so from your reply? x

Just a bit LOL... at the moment fitting it in around some consultancy work in an office (needed some extra money in to pay a tax bill ASAP).

Guys all this info is just fantastic. Thank you so much for taking the time and interest for us.

At the minute Tracy gets most of her appointments through word of mouth or yell.com linking to the website but we'd really like the site to work harder in it's own right so it's going to be a concerted effort over the next few days and onwards to get it going again.

Kate : your point regarding search engines liking change, that's a really interesting point, Tracy had a meeting with a marketing agency today and asked them this very thing and they said that engine's didn't like that too much, certainly your home page should rarely change but also try to keep the changes to a minimum - was this a load of balloney?

Oh - and just to put a smile on you're face here's another one.... penisland.com - that should be pen island of course......:green:

Another important thing to bear in mind with SEO is that the search engines are constantly evolving; what might get you top of Google one month might not work the next on account of Google having updated their search algorithms to look for different criteria to determine who should come top.

I've seen no mention of "backlinks" with regards to SEO in this thread either - i.e. links in to your website from other sites; there are lots of "free index" websites which you can sign up to where you can list your website for free, and (in the majority of cases) the more links in to your website, the better, as far as the search engines are concerned.

Again very true on both counts, which is why I constantly change mine lol - partly because of that and partly because I am just learning that side of websites and I really enjoy it when I just want to shut off from everything... As for backlinks - I have links to mine all over the place, I write blogs, again partly because I enjoy it but also because I understand how backlinks work. One of the reasons I originally got up to the top of Google was because of links to and from other sites - not the only reason of course but it is a very important thing to remember.

There used to be a guy on here called Seany (not sure if he's still around) but when I first had a website (my brother did one for as that's what he used to do - he's mainly into more complicated programming but did that as a sideline, was very good but I think he can earn more doing more corporate software stuff now), anyway, Seany taught me loads about SEO back then and since I have read up on a lot more - I find it all really interesting (and I'm addicted to Google Analytics lol, my partner and I have done quite a few sites between us and I am constantly checking reports haha).

Hi there Jack,

Yes, total rubbish this is what Google themselves say about changing content on your site basically, when Google reads, indexes, and ranks sites based on their content, it examines more than 200 criteria to rate Web sites for every key word. One of these criteria is how often a site’s content is refreshed, major search engines not only rank pages upon relevant content…but by fresh content as well. To get to the top and stay there, your site should deliver fresh, relevant content on a regular basis. So, yes - it is important to regularly change your content, hence companies offering expensive content management to businesses. Think of a site like BBC - changes every single day, you don't see that losing it's ranking because of it do you?

You've done a great job on the site - you should be really proud of it!

Kate : your point regarding search engines liking change, that's a really interesting point, Tracy had a meeting with a marketing agency today and asked them this very thing and they said that engine's didn't like that too much, certainly your home page should rarely change but also try to keep the changes to a minimum - was this a load of balloney?

Oh - and just to put a smile on you're face here's another one.... penisland.com - that should be pen island of course......:green:

I wonder what planet that marketing agency are on then - or if they are still stuck in the dark ages when it comes to SEO? I would vote with Kate to say that regularly updating your site's content to keep it fresh is definitely a good thing for keeping your site high in search engine results; it's showing that your site is remaining "relevant" as it's being regularly updated; some websites contain a summary of "latest news" and "special offers" on the home page for example... which when you click on them will take you to a dedicated news/special offers page - but having little things like that on your home page should help both with keeping content fresh for the search engines and keeping your clients interested too.

As for "pen island" - that's one site that definitely needs a hyphen - if it's not to be censored (as per the "S****horpe problem" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S****horpe_problem ) :green:

There used to be a guy on here called Seany (not sure if he's still around) but when I first had a website (my brother did one for as that's what he used to do - he's mainly into more complicated programming but did that as a sideline, was very good but I think he can earn more doing more corporate software stuff now), anyway, Seany taught me loads about SEO back then and since I have read up on a lot more - I find it all really interesting (and I'm addicted to Google Analytics lol, my partner and I have done quite a few sites between us and I am constantly checking reports haha).

Seanny was great - he did some fab sites for geeks on here! Haven't heard of him for ages though - in fact probably not since 2008 even! His wife was a nail tech on here, I seem to remember...

Oh yes, and love that one lol.... there are so many and you have to be so careful when deciding on a domain name, write it out and look at it for a while lol.

Oh yes, and love that one lol.... there are so many and you have to be so careful when deciding on a domain name, write it out and look at it for a while lol.

Looks like the domain has lapsed though - I'm not seeing an online stationery site when I go to penisland.com !!!

Seanny was great - he did some fab sites for geeks on here! Haven't heard of him for ages though - in fact probably not since 2008 even! His wife was a nail tech on here, I seem to remember...

1Yes, that's the one - had the website thenaildirectory, based in Ireland I believe...

Looks like a dandelion seed to my eyes; doesn't look particularly disruptive on my monitor - I have seen *far* worse backgrounds as far as accessibility is concerned; making the colour a tad lighter might help though.

Sorry to burst your bubble but accessability is not just what happens on YOUR Screen, try telling that to someone with a sight defect that cant read the text because of the dandelion seed, sorry but I dont think "its ok on my screen" cuts the accessability mustard.

I'd definitely prefer the font size to be a tad larger though - my preference is at least 12 point for Century Gothic for general text.

So let me get this straight a pointless bg image is ok but a small font is not, what if I said the font looks ok on my screen does that make it ok?NO
A Decent webdesigner who designs with accessability in mind would have AAA in the top right of the screen so the user can make the text the size they want.

That's a moot point; it's not so dissimilar to setting "display: none;" on the CSS for the h1 tag; I was of the understanding that putting "hidden text" (that the user can't see but the search engines can) was a "black hat" technique - which - while potentially working in the short term - could risk one's site getting blacklisted on the search engines.

In all my years I have never seen anyone blacklisted for -9999 text indent, if it was so important then surely ALL browsers wouldnt support a negative text indent, think it was an early firefox that used to outlign the text box shooting off to the right but they abolished it...wonder why

Credit where it's due, this is not a bad site at all for "someone who has no experience in web design". I have seen far, far worse.

No disputing it, but if people are not happy with my comments then I suggest they do not ask to review their website.

If one is going to not include hyphens in URLs, then it would at least make sense to use "Camel Case", i.e. starting each word with a capital letter, e.g.

"LongKeyWordsInGoogleWithoutTheSpaceAndItWillReturnAResultWithSpaces" or whatever - as that is at least marginally more readable.

Readable to who, you or the search engines, I was going down a SEO angle like I did mention, so if you want to put capitals in your urls thats upto you, my point was hyphens hamper your scoring slightly have a read from some of the top seo gurus
Have a look on seomoz and search for exact match domains

Not delimiting between words also opens the possibility of ambiguities cropping up, e.g. when the "Experts Exchange" website www.experts-exchange.com website was first launched, the domain name did not have the hyphen, i.e. expertsexchange.com - and consequently had a lot of visits from transsexuals looking for an "expert sex change".

Sorry not my fault the person who bought the domain name was as thick as two short planks
But I can put money on that expertexchange would rank higher than expert-exchange, really dont think google has time to giggle at expert sex change when looking for the search query of the user

The Wibiya toolbar is a great way of doing this (and also linking to a Twitter account etc); Free Web Toolbar | Wibiya - it is free to use although you can pay to remove the Wibiya branding if you so wish.

Yep another distraction, again I never said reject them as backlinks are all important too, but if you want the user to click away from your site then make you social icons as bold as possible

I would personally find it quite presumptuous to be told that I wouldn't understand 90% of what someone was trying to explain to me.

Looking at the site I fully understand it was a beginner trying to design a website, which yes hats off to them but they need to know the mistakes they are making and rectify them, and by looking at the code I can tell that the user would struggle with lets say php so in some respects they dont understand 90% of what I know, just like I dont understand 90% of what they know about manicuures...think the words horses for courses comes to mind.

However - yes - there are validation issues in the HTML code, as shown by the W3C online validator: [Invalid] Markup Validation of http://www.gentlehands.co.uk/ - W3C Markup Validator

But even so, the vast majority of web browsers will display the site perfectly well - even though there are validation issues with the underlying HTML code.

Does this include netscape????????

love the online booking with the javascript popout, great!

I would never advise online bookings to anyone mobile, unless its intergrated into your phone double bookings may become a customer satisfaction nightmare, ie walking around town centre someone books over the phone for 11.00am Monday morning and someone is online doing the same time and date....which person are you going to call because of a double booking. Customer satisfaction down the drain.

I think there are probably more people on here that understand website design than are given credit for - I'm sure there are too lots that haven't a clue, and they would turn to a designer but to say 90% of people on here wouldn't understand I agree is a bit presumptious.

I will add further that 90% of salon geek users would not understand the back end coding of web design

If not then lets see if 90% of people understand this

Code:
[COLOR=#007700][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#0000bb]$info [COLOR=#007700]= [/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]''[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700];[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#007700]     while ([/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]$hunches [/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]= [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]mysql_fetch_array[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]([/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]$gethunches[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700])) {         [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#007700]        if([/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]$info [/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]== [/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]''[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]){[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000bb]$info [/COLOR][COLOR=#007700].= [/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]"<span class=\"red\">" [/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]. [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]$hunches[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700][[/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]'firstname'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]] . [/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]"</span>"[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700];[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#007700]        } else {[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000bb]$info [/COLOR][COLOR=#007700].= [/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]"<br><span class=\"red\">" [/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]. [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]$hunches[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700][[/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]'firstname'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]] . [/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]"</span>"[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]; [/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]}[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#007700]     }[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000bb]$days1[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700][[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]$hunches[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700][[/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]'day'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]]] = array([/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]NULL[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700],[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]NULL[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700], [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]$info[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]);[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

What is this code trying to do?????

If you do not know it is trying to display multiple data sets on a single array.

Another thing the search engines like is the content changing on a regular basis so try not to just get the site you want and then leave it, have something there that changes on a regular basis.

So when my sitemap.xml document tells google to come back yearly do I still need to update my pages and will it harm my ranking if I dont update every 2 days....NO
Remember you are talking about a beauty website not a high priority news channel, and if you are asking google to come back every day on your xml document then you sare making a rod for your own back. If your content explains the after care of Pedicures then it doesnt need updating every other day, or monthly for that point, unless of course Pedicure after care is a ever changing topic.

One of the reasons I originally got up to the top of Google was because of links to and from other sites - not the only reason of course but it is a very important thing to remember.

Sorry but the reason why you are at the top of google is not through back linking, its the low competition for "Spray Tans York" that gets you to the top of google.

As for backlinks - I have links to mine all over the place,

Some of which are not relevant to your own site....pleae explain what vw camper vans has got to do with Spray tans.
Lets say 90% do understand so I am not being presumptious they will know that irrelivant back links do more harm than good. But being an seo expert you would know about this surely.

To be honest you sit there preaching seo and you need to go and look at your own website, or should I say free css template site.
SEO is per page not site so why are titles on some pages exactly the same ie "Pink Flower" It is seo, bad seo

And just to add Jack the marketing expert was right about forever changing content on home pages, yes change the news on your front page but dont go start changing the main content, google is trying to read your site and build up a picture that is relevant to the user, changing the content to much will not help....its all about Good content not forever changing content.

When gogle comes past your site it will only read part of it, then will return and read a little more..again slowly building the picture. Dont distort that picture, seo is about trying, waiting, small changes, waiting.

When I say small changes I mean going back to what I said earlier

changing

www.example.co.uk/test.htm

to

www.example.co.uk/testsubfolder/test.htm

see what results this brings...it will bring you up the rankings

then try something else a couple of RELEVANT back links from trusted networks, a change of your header tags and titles, test wait and see.

And if for arguments sake if you change something and you drop down the ranks then just revert back to what you knew bought you higher and change something else.

bhhdesign said:
Looking at the site I fully understand it was a beginner trying to design a website, which yes hats off to them but they need to know the mistakes they are making and rectify them, and by looking at the code I can tell that the user would struggle with lets say php so in some respects they dont understand 90% of what I know, just like I dont understand 90% of what they know about manicuures...think the words horses for courses comes to mind.

You don't need PHP to design a static website.

bhhdesign said:
Does this include netscape????????

Looks OK on Lynx (a text based browser) on a Linux terminal session.

I'll bet you that this site (Salon Geek) wouldn't work properly on IE4 either - I know it won't, as I tried it on a geriatric laptop with Windows 95 and IE4 on it at my mum's house a couple of years ago when I needed my geek fix and didn't have my laptop with me - and ended up with shed loads of Javascript errors.

Things have evolved since the days of Netscape; Mozilla Firefox has been around for years; if there's one "problem browser" in my book then it would be IE6 - because its CSS support is crap - to say nothing of how it handles transparent PNGs unless you run special Javascript to work around its quirkiness - and it still lurks around on far too many corporate networks for its own good!

Yes, there are all sorts of arcane browsers out there; as a rule though I personally aim for 100% compliance to W3C XHTML 1.0 Strict - and W3C CSS - with the exception of where there are "browser specific" CSS extensions that will be ignored by other browsers anyway - and for compatibility with IE7+, Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera. Targeting every single browser under the sun would take a lot more time and put the price up accordingly.

bhhdesign said:
I would never advise online bookings to anyone mobile, unless its intergrated into your phone double bookings may become a customer satisfaction nightmare, ie walking around town centre someone books over the phone for 11.00am Monday morning and someone is online doing the same time and date....which person are you going to call because of a double booking. Customer satisfaction down the drain.

Now that is genius! SMS text notifications when someone makes an online booking would be the simplest way of achieving this, I think.

bhhdesign said:
I will add further that 90% of salon geek users would not understand the back end coding of web design

If not then lets see if 90% of people understand this

Code:
[COLOR=#007700][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#0000bb]$info [COLOR=#007700]= [/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]''[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700];[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#007700]     while ([/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]$hunches [/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]= [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]mysql_fetch_array[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]([/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]$gethunches[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700])) {         [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#007700]        if([/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]$info [/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]== [/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]''[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]){[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000bb]$info [/COLOR][COLOR=#007700].= [/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]"<span class=\"red\">" [/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]. [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]$hunches[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700][[/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]'firstname'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]] . [/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]"</span>"[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700];[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#007700]        } else {[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000bb]$info [/COLOR][COLOR=#007700].= [/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]"<br><span class=\"red\">" [/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]. [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]$hunches[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700][[/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]'firstname'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]] . [/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]"</span>"[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]; [/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]}[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#007700]     }[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000bb]$days1[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700][[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]$hunches[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700][[/COLOR][COLOR=#dd0000]'day'[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]]] = array([/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]NULL[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700],[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]NULL[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700], [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000bb]$info[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]);[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

What is this code trying to do?????

If you do not know it is trying to display multiple data sets on a single array.

Fair enough. But not relevant to Jack who is seeking to optimise his static HTML website. Not everyone uses PHP for back-end coding either. My preference is Java - with a combination of the Spring Framework, Hibernate and Struts 2, amongst other things.

As for code, how about this little gem, then?

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
main(t,_,a)char *a;{return!0<t?t<3?main(-79,-13,a+main(-87,1-_,
main(-86,0,a+1)+a)):1,t<_?main(t+1,_,a):3,main(-94,-27+t,a)&&t==2?_<13?
main(2,_+1,"%s %d %d\n"):9:16:t<0?t<-72?main(_,t,
"@n'+,#'/*{}w+/w#cdnr/+,{}r/*de}+,/*{*+,/w{%+,/w#q#n+,/#{l,+,/n{n+,/+#n+,/#\
;#q#n+,/+k#;*+,/'r :'d*'3,}{w+K w'K:'+}e#';dq#'l \
q#'+d'K#!/+k#;q#'r}eKK#}w'r}eKK{nl]'/#;#q#n'){)#}w'){){nl]'/+#n';d}rw' i;# \
){nl]!/n{n#'; r{#w'r nc{nl]'/#{l,+'K {rw' iK{;[{nl]'/w#q#n'wk nw' \
iwk{KK{nl]!/w{%'l##w#' i; :{nl]'/*{q#'ld;r'}{nlwb!/*de}'c \
;;{nl'-{}rw]'/+,}##'*}#nc,',#nw]'/+kd'+e}+;#'rdq#w! nr'/ ') }+}{rl#'{n' ')# \
}'+}##(!!/")
:t<-50?_==*a?putchar(31[a]):main(-65,_,a+1):main((*a=='/')+t,_,a+1)
  :0<t?main(2,2,"%s"):*a=='/'||main(0,main(-61,*a,
"!ek;dc i@bK'(q)-[w]*%n+r3#l,{}:\nuwloca-O;m .vpbks,fxntdCeghiry"),a+1);}

If you do not know, it prints out the words to "The Twelve Days Of Christmas". 90% of expert C programmers probably wouldn't know that (unless they compiled and ran it), but do I really care?

bhhdesign said:
Sorry but the reason why you are at the top of google is not through back linking, its the low competition for "Spray Tans York" that gets you to the top of google.

Excellent point. Not everyone needs expensive SEO... if you're "the only nail tech in the village" then you'll probably be top of Google for doing a search on nail techs in your area. Although that won't stop the cold callers from phoning you and trying to peddle their overpriced SEO services that you don't need.

Hi Guys

We're busy looking at recoding the site (currently designed in tables, using Dreamweaver) and to add a different menu layout - have taken all comments on board so lets see what happens over the weekend.

Once its complete, we'd appreicate you looking at it again - if you can spare 10 minutes out of your already busy schedules.

So when my sitemap.xml document tells google to come back yearly do I still need to update my pages and will it harm my ranking if I dont update every 2 days....NO
Remember you are talking about a beauty website not a high priority news channel, and if you are asking google to come back every day on your xml document then you sare making a rod for your own back. If your content explains the after care of Pedicures then it doesnt need updating every other day, or monthly for that point, unless of course Pedicure after care is a ever changing topic.

Some of which are not relevant to your own site....pleae explain what vw camper vans has got to do with Spray tans.
Lets say 90% do understand so I am not being presumptious they will know that irrelivant back links do more harm than good. But being an seo expert you would know about this surely.

To be honest you sit there preaching seo and you need to go and look at your own website, or should I say free css template site.
SEO is per page not site so why are titles on some pages exactly the same ie "Pink Flower" It is seo, bad seo

I think Ruth pretty much summed up your reply - and very well.

The reason my site is top has nothing to do with not being many in York - in fact there are pages and pages of them and a lot of competition in the area - and when I was doing nail enhancements I was top then too with masses of competition in York. VW campers may not be relevant to my site but them having a link and description on their site DOES help optimise my site, as does having a link from my garden blog and my general blog and facebook and from my partner's web design site (these are not sites relevant to spray tans and yet they help with optimisation!).

What of using a template - if I see a template I like I'm quite happy to use a template - I know web designers and people who have been programming for years and years who will use templates sometimes, what was your point on that??! If you read my posting properly you would also see that I am in the middle of working on my site - so 'pink flower' is not a problem, it is 'unfinished'. Google will tell you themselves that they like fresh content - I DID NOT say that you need to change your whole content on a regular basis (before and after care doesn't change) but to have some new things regularly on your site does help - and that comes from Google themselves and yes even for the small business websites - just something fresh and new now and then makes a difference.

Oh and I didn't say content should be changed every couple of days - more like every few months or even yearly would be good. Both for search engines and for human visitors to your site.

And just to add Jack the marketing expert was right about forever changing content on home pages, yes change the news on your front page but dont go start changing the main content, google is trying to read your site and build up a picture that is relevant to the user, changing the content to much will not help....its all about Good content not forever changing content.

It appears that there are geeks on here that do know information on web design, java, javascript, seo, coding even the php code that you included in your last post as well as many other things to do with websites. This knowledge may be less than the knowledge that either you or Ruth possess but i think there is a way of correcting someone without sounding patronising. You may not have meant it but your last post was quite condescending although written word can be taken the wrong way.

You may find as a result that you get posts from other people correcting your spelling mistakes, now this is not meant to be patronising so I hope you don't take offence when I say that to should have been too. x

Can you show some examples of your work please bhhdesign.

Only when I put that into Google, I can't see anything.

(p.s. Please don't assume everyone on a Beauty based forum is an ignorant dolly-bird when making arrogant assumptions- As if there's something inherently "special" about learning a coding language, it' just another skill people can learn- much like the skills these people on this site have and you don't have......... and don't take my post as an invitation for a critique of my website either- as neither I nor kateyork1 invited one. I daresay you were trying to help the original poster, but there was something slightly sneery about your replies I'm afraid- but let's just assume thats how you come across whilst writing.)

Last edited:
Can you show some examples of your work please bhhdesign.

Only when I put that into Google, I can't see anything.

(p.s. Please don't assume everyone on a Beauty based forum is an ignorant dolly-bird when making arrogant assumptions- As if there's something inherently "special" about learning a coding language, it' just another skill people can learn- much like the skills these people on this site have and you don't have......... and don't take my post as an invitation for a critique of my website either- as neither I nor kateyork1 invited one. I daresay you were trying to help the original poster, but there was something slightly sneery about your replies I'm afraid- but let's just assume thats how you come across whilst writing.)

Well said. Also - just checked out your website, I may call on you in the future for a nice logo. Great services your offering there and a very nice looking site.

Latest posts

Back