Comments about my website

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bhhdesign. Oh and at no point did I say change the main content of your site - may be a good idea to read first....

And yes, how about we get to see some samples of your work and critique them ;)

Can you show some examples of your work please bhhdesign.

Only when I put that into Google, I can't see anything.

I just did a search for "bhhdesign" in Google and this thread on Geek was top of the search results. Google obviously likes the SEO referred to on this thread :green:

now now children :green:

i thought we were all friends in this establishment. No fighting now! And I also thought this thread was about our/my website, not point scoring from each other :eek:

lets all play nice and be friends :hug:

now now children :green:

i thought we were all friends in this establishment. No fighting now! And I also thought this thread was about our/my website, not point scoring from each other :eek:

lets all play nice and be friends :hug:

I agree :hug: :)

Never!! lets strip to the waist and fight until the death!!

........ladies first.

And yes, how about we get to see some samples of your work and critique them ;)

Go for broke

www.pcworld.co.uk
www.thetechguys.com (nothing to do with the shocking service they offer)
www.currys.co.uk

And no you will not find anything under bhh yet, we are currently building a massive site, which I am sure you can appreciate does not happen overnight, and to be honest its harder doing your own site than ones for crappy plc companies

But a little bit about about us, bhh consists of 3 people
me. Web designer, Developer, CMS (love joomla)
the misses who is offline and online marketing expert, she does prefer the SEO side of things and taught me all I know, and its nothing to some of the stuff she can do/knows. We met about ten years ago at a boring web seminar, you know the ones "fall asleep at 2 oclock in the classroom days" and oldboy gordie he is an absolute guru at ecommerce, he is not working full time with us but if we get a big ecommerce job then he will be there, he has other commitments but his knowledge is priceless.

Me and Gordie use to work for DSG Retail (Dixons) and we had to drive 2.5 hrs a day and I know this next bit isnt very professional, but we were driving back from Hemel one day and decided never to go back, not good but plc's dont miss you too much, we were just a number.

So we set up bhh I know now we should of set up the business before we left as things are tight as the planning process has taken longer than we thought but we are getting there, the site was supposed to be life about 1 mth ago, and like I mentioned when you build your own site you change that much I have scrapped 2 sites but think we are there now. Just so many pages, COntent is King as you know

Best not let Kate see that one she may rip it to bits and make me cry, and can I say sorry if I do come across like a bit of a tw@t soemtimes but as you can see I LOVE DEBATES and I am sorry if I have offended insulted anyone no intention, I just get a bit heated with bees in my bonnet at times So sorry again.

I am also here preaching about distractions and remove them when I am sat on bloody salon geek for hours I must be some sort of black pot that insults kettles.
Need to go and get the site done, but watch this space...aprt from you Kate.

And as for you jack, sorry Ruth and Kate for starting this debate but avoid tables unless you are using tabular data, I only tend to use tables when retrieving info from databases.

Learn the box model of CSS its the web standards now days mate.

If you want I will put the code up for you that replicates your site so you can have a play, its really easy, you just have to think of boxes on the page and size them accordingly.

Let us know mate.

Go for broke

Best not let Kate see that one she may rip it to bits and make me cry, and can I say sorry if I do come across like a bit of a tw@t soemtimes but as you can see I LOVE DEBATES and I am sorry if I have offended insulted anyone no intention, I just get a bit heated with bees in my bonnet at times So sorry again.

I am also here preaching about distractions and remove them when I am sat on bloody salon geek for hours I must be some sort of black pot that insults kettles.

And as for you jack, sorry Ruth and Kate for starting this debate but avoid tables unless you are using tabular data, I only tend to use tables when retrieving info from databases.

If you want I will put the code up for you that replicates your site so you can have a play, its really easy, you just have to think of boxes on the page and size them accordingly.

Let us know mate.

Hi,

Firstly, can I just say you haven't offended me in the slightest - I'm not offended that easily ;) apologies appreciated anyway...

Good to find out a bit more about you and what you do, so tell me - what brings you to salongeek then?

I would not rip anything to bits lol - unless of course it was rubbish :wink2:, seriously though would like to see what you've done so far... - any chance of a preview.

Not sure on what you said about tables - personally I like them but only because I'm still learning HTML and I got really excited when I did my first table lol. I don't have any on my site though. But while you're here, I would like to put a price list on my site when I get round to it - only just started adding nails back into it after a few years as an estate agent, I like change - before I first got into nails I was an analytical chemist and before that I did my accountancy training. (all good business skills :wink2: ) - so if not a table what would you recommend? - not great with CSS yet (learning but not quite there - hence using a template for my site, I wanted to do it myself without asking my partner anything and this was the way to go, as I learn more I will do more and change more but I quite like my site as it is at the moment :wink2: )

Kate
PS - a good debate is always welcome lol....

Last edited:
Hi

Instead of tables you need to make the site using css class's id's.

Here is Jacks site in Full CSS, just copy and paste into DW thats if you use DW and play around if you get stuck guve us a shout

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "[URL]http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd[/URL]">
<html xmlns="[url=http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml]XHTML namespace[/url]">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<style type="text/css">
<!--
body {
 background-color: #CADF78;
 height: 100%;
 width: 100%;
}
p {/*This will set the p tag of every bit of text on your site, if you want to add a different
style to your p tag look at the footer*/
 font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;
 font-size: 12px;
 font-weight: normal;
 color: #000;
 text-decoration: none;
 margin-right: 10px;/*This will stop your main text sitting on the wall of your container*/
 margin-left: 10px;/*This will stop your main text sitting on the wall of your container*/
 text-align: left;/*you have to align all your text left as its in the container and we have told the container to align 
 the text centre to get rid of IE6 Bugs*/
}
h2 {
 font-size: 16px;
 color: #7c0f7c;
}
h3 {
 font-size: 14px;
 color: #7c0f7c;
}
#container {/*This is the main stage that everything goes into*/
 text-align: center;/*This makes the container sit in the centre on IE6 bloody horrible browser*/
 width: 765px;
 margin-top: 0px;
 margin-right: auto;/*this makes the container sit in the centre of the screen*/
 margin-bottom: 0px;
 margin-left: auto;/*this makes the container sit in the centre of the screen*/
}
.header {
 background-image: url(img/logo.jpg);/*Keep all your images in a subfolder called img or images*/
 background-position: center top;/*This will make you logo sit in the centre, 
 if you remove this you have to make yourmargin left to 159 so it pushes the image across*/
 padding: 0px;
 float: left;
 height: 213px;
 width: 446px;
 margin-top: 0px;
 margin-right: 0px;
 margin-bottom: 0px;
 margin-left: 0px;/*or 159px here to make your logo sit in the centre*/
}
.nav {/*You do not heed to use this class but it's easier to understand
all your ul and li tags go within the nav class on the html*/
 margin: 0px;
 height: 20px;
 background-color: #7c0f7c;
}
.nav ul {
}
.nav li {
 width: 85px;
 font-size: 12px;/*This will keep Ruth happy:-)*/ 
 line-height: 20px;/*This will centre your text as the nav li box is 20 px high*/
 color: #FFF;
 list-style-type: none;/*This stops bullet points showing on list items*/
}
.content {
 background-color: #FFF;/*White BG for your Black Font*/
}
#footer {
 height: 30px;
 background-color: #7c0f7c;
}
#footer p {/*Now you can put a p tag in your footer and it will be different to the main p tag
see the html for example as you do not have to write footer p just p*/
 font-size: 12px;
 color: #FFF;
 margin-left: 10px;
 margin-top: 10px;
}
-->
</style>
</head>
<body>
<div id="container">
 <div class="header"></div><!--End of header-->
    <div class="nav"><!--you could class id you ul tags to reduce your code but as your a noob this is easier to understand-->
     <ul>
         <li>Link1</li>
            <li>Link2</li>
            <li>Link3</li>
            <li>Link4</li>
            <li>Link5</li>
            <li>Link6</li>
            <li>Link7</li>
            <li>Link8</li>
            <li>Link9</li>
        </ul>
    </div><!--End of Nav-->
    <div class="content">
     <h2>Look Good, Feel Good, Be Confident!</h2>
      <h3>Coming Soon..... Crystal Manicures & Pedicures</h3>
<p></p>
    </div><!--End of content-->
   <div id="footer">
    <p>Gentle Hands 2010. All Rights Reserved.</p>
   </div><!--End of Footer-->
</div><!--End of the container, everything needs to go in here-->
</body>
</html>

You should really call your css and not have it at the top of the page like I have done here. In other words like you call up java
ie
<link href="css/main.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

And in jacks case

<link href="manicuresnewcastlecss/main.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

Naughty but nice.

I have tried to leave as many comments on the css and html to explain but like I say if you get stuck give me a shout.

Hope this helps jack.
And forgot to mention leave the spry alone for your nav, not worth it just do your nav in pure css

Go for broke

www.pcworld.co.uk
www.thetechguys.com (nothing to do with the shocking service they offer)
www.currys.co.uk

And no you will not find anything under bhh yet, we are currently building a massive site, which I am sure you can appreciate does not happen overnight, and to be honest its harder doing your own site than ones for crappy plc companies

But a little bit about about us, bhh consists of 3 people
me. Web designer, Developer, CMS (love joomla)
the misses who is offline and online marketing expert, she does prefer the SEO side of things and taught me all I know, and its nothing to some of the stuff she can do/knows. We met about ten years ago at a boring web seminar, you know the ones "fall asleep at 2 oclock in the classroom days" and oldboy gordie he is an absolute guru at ecommerce, he is not working full time with us but if we get a big ecommerce job then he will be there, he has other commitments but his knowledge is priceless.

Me and Gordie use to work for DSG Retail (Dixons) and we had to drive 2.5 hrs a day and I know this next bit isnt very professional, but we were driving back from Hemel one day and decided never to go back, not good but plc's dont miss you too much, we were just a number.

So we set up bhh I know now we should of set up the business before we left as things are tight as the planning process has taken longer than we thought but we are getting there, the site was supposed to be life about 1 mth ago, and like I mentioned when you build your own site you change that much I have scrapped 2 sites but think we are there now. Just so many pages, COntent is King as you know

Let us know mate.

Ah, now I see... that makes a lot more sense; we do share a fair bit in common by the sound of it then, although our paths are perhaps a bit different...

OK... my history then... my degree was in chemistry, and in the final year of my degree I did a research project in physical & theoretical chemistry - which involved programming simulation software in "C" - and if you want to have a laugh at a website, take a look at this - DynaSURF - although it does date back to 1996... it's the earliest extant website I've ever done!

I then ended up in Wiltshire working for a small software house, and spent about 3 and a half years programming in C and C++, working on software for things like ticket machines, and signalling systems and brakes for railways.

Then back in 2000, I moved across to south west London and worked for an e-commerce company developing web applications in Java... in my time there, some of the clients we worked for were Thomas Cook, Sony and Toyota.

But then the London traffic was getting to me, and I didn't want to sell my house in Wiltshire and double the mortgage only to end up with a pokey flat in the London area, so I moved back to Wiltshire and got a job with another e-commerce company, where I worked for just under 3 and a half years.

During that time, I met my lovely Sonia a a friend's party in Birmingham and ended up selling my house in Wiltshire to move to Shrewsbury to be with Sonia; we bought a house together and got married just under a year after that.

After moving up to Shrewsbury, I spent just over 4 and a half years doing Java consultancy work (generally for fairly large outsourcing companies on government projects, e.g. Ministry of Justice, Driving Standards Agency, HM Revenue & Customs), ended up finding Salon Geek (via a random search on Google for transgender stuff) and somehow ended up designing a website for someone, ended up doing a few sites for people during the evenings and weekends after work, got really stressed out on a particular project I was working on in Telford, so decided to give the consultancy work a break and focus on the web design... did that for 10 months, found out I wasn't charging enough and was running out of money with a substantial tax bill to pay, so am back doing some Java consultancy work again whilst still working like a mad thing evenings and weekends on websites and whatnot!

Good luck with the business by the way; sounds like you are very good technically with PHP and whatnot, as well as having had measurable success with SEO; the only thing I'd say is that being good technically doesn't necessarily mean you're guaranteed to be successful in business (and I speak from personal experience here); if there's one word of advice that I'd give you, it would be to be more tactful when posting on here; yes I'd place a fair bet that you'd beat 99% of people on here on PHP - including me (although the Grand Master Geek would give you a good run for your money) - but there are ways of getting your point across without appearing overly arrogant or too blatantly dissing someone else's work - and people will like you a lot more if you can do that better. Hope that counts as constructive criticism and doesn't come across as too blunt!

I then ended up in Wiltshire working for a small software house, and spent about 3 and a half years programming in C and C++, working on software for things like ticket machines, and signalling systems and brakes for railways.

To all you Geeks out their you need to take your hat off to people who can understand and write c++ this is probably harder than gobbledy gook to learn fair play and much much respect to you.

Good luck with the business by the way; sounds like you are very good technically with PHP and whatnot, as well as having had measurable success with SEO; the only thing I'd say is that being good technically doesn't necessarily mean you're guaranteed to be successful in business (and I speak from personal experience here);

I do like php and what t can do, and you will fully understand the head banging against hard surfaces whern it doesnt go how you want it too and 1 bloody { symbol is missing from 300 lines of code. And we are going to push the business very hard, my misses wont let it drop till we get to where we want to be....and she can do it I am sure.

if there's one word of advice that I'd give you, it would be to be more tactful when posting on here; yes I'd place a fair bet that you'd beat 99% of people on here on PHP - including me (although the Grand Master Geek would give you a good run for your money) - but there are ways of getting your point across without appearing overly arrogant or too blatantly dissing someone else's work - and people will like you a lot more if you can do that better. Hope that counts as constructive criticism and doesn't come across as too blunt!

:oSorry bit of a tw@t sometimes but I am a bloke.

I do like php and what t can do, and you will fully understand the head banging against hard surfaces whern it doesnt go how you want it too and 1 bloody { symbol is missing from 300 lines of code.

Oh yes, I can quite imagine that! If it helps, I use a program called Eclipse for managing all my Java stuff... there's a version available for PHP development too... PHP Development Tools Project - it's a free download as well - and it does nice things like syntax highlighting and underlining any errors in red - so if it could do that for you to chase those elusive missing curly brackets then it might save you a bit of time and ease your frustration! It also integrates beautifully with source control systems like CVS and Subversion into the bargain.

Hi
And forgot to mention leave the spry alone for your nav, not worth it just do your nav in pure css

She now wants subs menus with the main Treaments Menu, so having to use Spry Menu (unless it can be done another way?)

Got a mate to recode the site, so only using 1 table like (i think he's put it in a table :lick: ) for the prices page, although this may yet change.

Once I'd amended menus i'll upload

PS: can we please on topic! :green:

She now wants subs menus with the main Treaments Menu, so having to use Spry Menu (unless it can be done another way?)

Got a mate to recode the site, so only using 1 table like (i think he's put it in a table :lick: ) for the prices page, although this may yet change.

Once I'd amended menus i'll upload

PS: can we please on topic! :green:

If it helps... the drop-down menu system that I use personally is called Superfish - Superfish - Suckerfish on 'roids - this works with the popular JQuery Javascript library, which I am a huge fan of.

The HTML for it is nice - just a series of nested unordered lists - and it degrades gracefully if Javascript is disabled.

There are a couple of other Javascript files that I'd recommend using in conjunction with this - hoverIntent.js and supersubs.js - but the link I've posted will explain how to integrate those too.

You might need to play around with the CSS a fair bit to get it to do what you want though - and if you're particularly concerned about browser compatibility then I'd definitely recommend testing the navigation on IE6 too, as I've had issues where the menus would display perfectly in IE7 but not at all well in IE6... you should be able to download an emulator from the Microsoft site which comes with a "virtual machine" with XP and IE6 on it for testing if you haven't got a geriatric computer with IE6 on it lying around for testing...

Hi Jack

You are getting into more advanced css with drop down menus but it should still be done in css,
What exactly do you want in the drop down menu, would it be something like

Home
About
Treatments
(Treatments Pedicure)
(Treatments Manicure)
Products
Links....You should avoid using the word links, google is not to keen on the word links as in reality a page full of links is not good content. Call it Partners or something to that effect.
Contact

Give us a full list of what you want mate

Hi RM

Are you saying now to use Spry Menus. You must remember, I am only a beginner, so 90% of what you speak in tech jargon I dont really understand! :green:

Bhh - will PM you now.

Talking of JQuery... I'd highly recommend it for anyone wanting an easy way to add Javascript functionality to their websites. It's a lot more lightweight than a lot of other Javascript frameworks (e.g. Dojo), and there are a host of useful plugins available for things like slideshows, galleries, etc.

jQuery: The Write Less, Do More, JavaScript Library if anyone is interested :)

Hi RM

Are you saying now to use Spry Menus. You must remember, I am only a beginner, so 90% of what you speak in tech jargon I dont really understand! :green:

Bhh - will PM you now.

No, I'm recommending to replace Spry Menus with JQuery and Superfish, as per the link I posted. Which will do pretty much the same thing - but the HTML is nice, the drop-downs are implemented in CSS - and the Javascript just makes them work a bit nicer - although they'll still work OK if Javascript is disabled...

Hi Jack

You are getting into more advanced css with drop down menus but it should still be done in css,
What exactly do you want in the drop down menu, would it be something like

Home
About
Treatments
(Treatments Pedicure)
(Treatments Manicure)
Products
Links....You should avoid using the word links, google is not to keen on the word links as in reality a page full of links is not good content. Call it Partners or something to that effect.
Contact

Give us a full list of what you want mate

BHH, what's your take on something like Superfish, just out of interest? Where the bulk of the work to generate the drop-down menus is done in the CSS - and the Javascript just make the menus work that little bit nicer? And are you a JQuery fan?

Latest posts

Back