Daily Mail article: UV nails/skin cancer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natsjl

Reaction score
:mad: Typical Daily Mail scare article. Lots of us should add comments. If I worked for CND, OPI or Young Nails I would demand the right to publish an article with the facts.

Can Doug Schoon or somebody write a response?

I remember reading that there is an equivalent normal sun exposure figure verses number of hours in a UV lamp. Does anyone know what that is?

It's nothing that hasn't already been written & argued against/answered before. I try to post answers to things like this on my fb page & website blog (health risks of using UV lamps, does Shellac damage your nails etc). If my clients have any concerns about things written in articles like this I am confident I have the knowledge to reassure them :) x

As a client reading this I would probably be quite worried, I get asked regularly about UV damage/exposure and always tell the client the risks are minimal, Cheers Daily Mail!

I was always taught that during a gel manicure you're exposed to the same amount of UV rays that you are through the windscreen of your car while you drive and that it will not affect your skin/nails/health. But we all know what the Daily Mail are like..... :zzz:

For me the main concern is that the Daily Mail is the most popular newspaper site in the world (overtook New York Times in 2012). No offense to Doug but he is probably not so much of a household name. I am just glad I don't use the brands named, although perhaps brand equity will mean it doesn't stick. I am also glad I use LED which many people online articles put forward (with or without evidence) as safer than straight UV.

Just been listening to DOug on Nail Talk Radio talking about LED UV where he mentions that LED bulb UV uses different wavelengths to UV lamp bulbs. Also then found this explanation (from someone else) online:

"The most common misconception regarding UV LED lights is that they produce ultraviolet radiation that can be harmful to the skin, eyes, or other bodily organs. The truth is the radiation emitted is called "near UV," and it occurs below the threshold of harm posed by the true UV wavelength. UV LED lights actually give off less radiation than other types of bulbs."

This led me to do some more digging.

UV is classified according to wavelength.

UV A is considered to be safer for humans than UV B.

If you look at this from NSI:
LED and UV | Nail Product Chemistry Information from NSI
LED's operate at 400 -410 nm
UV lamps from 315 - 400 nm

UV A is found at 315 - 400 nm and UV B between 280 and 315 so both LED and traditional UV lamps are operating within UV A area. Sunbeds us around 97% UV A and 3% UV B (hence why they are worse)

However: reading this from the World Health Organisation they mention that UVA is better BUT that recent research has linked it to cancer and that it causes ageing and wrinkling (which we know): WHO | UV radiation

Now, exhaused from my research, I reckon a splash of broad spectrum sun cream on a client's hands (and my own) would not go amiss.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
So it says health issues are hidden by having nails done, but surely being seen regularly by a trained nail technician means that any issues are more likely to be picked up than someone who pays no attention to their nails?!

And I'd love to slap the ignorant fools with a wet fish that say things like "I had my nails done and since picking it all off they've never been the same again"
Idiots.

There are a number of nail technicians who have posted comments about nails breathing :eek: One has even said that they can breathe through Shellac :eek::eek:

Can someone tell me (because I can't find it) how many hours under an ordinary UV nail lamp would equate to an hour's worth of ordinary sunlight, or an equivalent scenario.

There are a number of nail technicians who have posted comments about nails breathing :eek: One has even said that they can breathe through Shellac :eek::eek:

Can someone tell me (because I can't find it) how many hours under an ordinary UV nail lamp would equate to an hour's worth of ordinary sunlight, or an equivalent scenario.

I found on CND's blog that a bi-weekly UV manicure is equivalent to an extra 1-2 minutes per day of daylight exposure, hth x

My posts don't ever seem to appear. I wear it like a badge of honour. Here was my last post:

Um... 4 months ago an actual study published by the Journal of Investigative Dermatology demonstrated that it would take 250 YEARS of WEEKLY treatments to equate to the same levels of safe UV exposure people with psoriasis are treated with.

250 YEARS OF WEEKLY TREATMENTS.

Is there ANYONE that actually does ANY fact checking at your place or do you guys just get paid to make stuff up?

We don't get the Daily Mail over here but anytime I see it online with one of their sensational amazing investigative journalism pieces, I despair at the world.

Here is the thing that does my head in:

Look at how wild-and-crazy-far they-are-from-any-ounce-of-fact in that article. Now... transpose that to ANYTHING that paper writes.

Why on earth would anyone waste any time of any day accepting what they produce as any source for any kind of credible news or information? Hell, back home we had the National Enquirerer who featured headlines on Bigfoot and Batboy that were better researched than that paper.

It boggles the mind. Seriously. And we wonder why the world is so confused.

Ha the National Enquirer!
It's sad what passes for journalism and even sadder that people get taken in by nonsense BUT at least we as pros can educate our clients and be able to answer questions they may have arising from articles like this.
Which is why it's so important for professionals to keep up to date with all things education!

Did they just run this stupid story online or in the actual paper too?

Typical Daily Mail. I avoid it like the plague. They write all sorts of rubbish. Drives me crackers to thing people read and believe the trot that papers print.

I've only just started my training & the amount of people who get gel, shellac, gel extensions and acrylic mixed up is unbelievable!

So the Daily Fail's article just makes things worse.

My posts don't ever seem to appear. I wear it like a badge of honour. Here was my last post:

Your comment is up there now Sam. Also has anyone else noticed that the "Young Nails" name and logo on the lamp has now been airbrushed out the picture?

Latest posts

Back