Digital perm not worked - what are my rights?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nail angel 67

Reaction score
Please could someone help me. I had a digital perm at a salon in the West End, London only last week Wednesday. I had 2 consultations prior to the treatment as I was paranoid it may not work and I was paying £270. I was told that my hair was suitable and although I would still have to style it this would be minimal and I should get the look I always try to get with my hair anyway which is big loose curls. I can usually get this anyway with my natural hair but after about half an hour it's all dropped out and is back to my natural wavy look. I was led to believe that the style should stay in in future as long as I was still prepared to style it which I was.

I was also told not to wash it for 2 days and I left it for 4 as I just wanted to be extra careful. I have since proceeded to style it in quite a few ways to keep in the curl. I've wound it around my fingers in sections and dried it with a diffuser to find it doesn't look much different to my normal hair style. I have also curled it with big curling irons and heated rollers and it looks beautiful as usual to start with but soon falls out. I've even used the recommended protein shampoo and conditioner and also the expensive gel from the salon itself.

I called the salon today to tell them about this and they said the guy who did it would call back but I still haven't heard from him.

Would anyone be able to help me on this one and let me know my rights? TBH I'd rather not have them do anything else to my hair and would prefer a full refund.

I must add that when they had styled it on the day I absolutely loved it and I had the beautiful curls I dreamed of but then again that was done by 2 guys on each side of my head blow drying with the diffuser for about 40 minutes.

Anyone who has seen me since then is either really surprised when I say I've had a digital perm or don't even think my hair is any different at all and don't mention a thing :o(

Please could someone help me. I had a digital perm at a salon in the West End, London only last week Wednesday. I had 2 consultations prior to the treatment as I was paranoid it may not work and I was paying £270. I was told that my hair was suitable and although I would still have to style it this would be minimal and I should get the look I always try to get with my hair anyway which is big loose curls. I can usually get this anyway with my natural hair but after about half an hour it's all dropped out and is back to my natural wavy look. I was led to believe that the style should stay in in future as long as I was still prepared to style it which I was.

I was also told not to wash it for 2 days and I left it for 4 as I just wanted to be extra careful. I have since proceeded to style it in quite a few ways to keep in the curl. I've wound it around my fingers in sections and dried it with a diffuser to find it doesn't look much different to my normal hair style. I have also curled it with big curling irons and heated rollers and it looks beautiful as usual to start with but soon falls out. I've even used the recommended protein shampoo and conditioner and also the expensive gel from the salon itself.

I called the salon today to tell them about this and they said the guy who did it would call back but I still haven't heard from him.

Would anyone be able to help me on this one and let me know my rights? TBH I'd rather not have them do anything else to my hair and would prefer a full refund.

I must add that when they had styled it on the day I absolutely loved it and I had the beautiful curls I dreamed of but then again that was done by 2 guys on each side of my head blow drying with the diffuser for about 40 minutes.

Anyone who has seen me since then is either really surprised when I say I've had a digital perm or don't even think my hair is any different at all and don't mention a thing :o(

''These are the client’s rights to
be protected as a consumer or purchaser of
goods and services within your salon. Most of
these rights come from laws, such as The Sale Of
Goods Act, The Supply of Goods and Services
Act, The Consumer Protection Act and the Unfair​
Contract Terms Act.'' From Habia, the awarding body for hair and beauty.

I would ring the salon, ask them to sort it out, maybe re-perm. If not then get a FULL refund, they havent given you as a client what you wanted. But you will have to be open to other options like them re-perming. :)

Most places won't refund without trying to rectify the situation.
I'm sorry your not happy with the results, Have you tried large Velcro rollers while it's wet, leave it dry naturally, put some heat on each roller and let it cool, then take them out 1 by 1 and rolling it back up with fingers ad clipping it in place, spray some hairspray on, lightly heat it again with dryer an cool, then let them all down?
Xoxo

Most places won't refund without trying to rectify the situation.
I'm sorry your not happy with the results, Have you tried large Velcro rollers while it's wet, leave it dry naturally, put some heat on each roller and let it cool, then take them out 1 by 1 and rolling it back up with fingers ad clipping it in place, spray some hairspray on, lightly heat it again with dryer an cool, then let them all down?
Xoxo

Thanks for the advice guys. To be honest though with the velcro rollers idea it seems like it would take quite a long time and my hair before it was permed may have worked out if I had gone to that much trouble too. Like I say I don't mind putting it in heated rollers with a little hairspray and the gel they advised while I'm getting ready in a morning but I really don't have more time than that and the hairdresser did know that.

They have called me back today and asked me to go back in which I will do on Friday. However, the thought of another perm does scare me as I feel it still won't work. Will they then offer me my money back after spending 2 lots of 4 hours on perming my hair?

Thanks for the advice guys. To be honest though with the velcro rollers idea it seems like it would take quite a long time and my hair before it was permed may have worked out if I had gone to that much trouble too. Like I say I don't mind putting it in heated rollers with a little hairspray and the gel they advised while I'm getting ready in a morning but I really don't have more time than that and the hairdresser did know that.

They have called me back today and asked me to go back in which I will do on Friday. However, the thought of another perm does scare me as I feel it still won't work. Will they then offer me my money back after spending 2 lots of 4 hours on perming my hair?

I never offer a full refund but what I do if offer to rectify the problem free of charge, but I've never had a complaint

I have to agree you will have to give them the chance to re do the perm, I know some ppl would find it uncomfortable but I hope they will be extra professional and extra nice ! As this is incontinent for you. As a stylist we dont always get it right first time, everyone's hair is different and you therefore get different results on different clients. They may have done everything right and they have spent time, money and wages still to pay.i don't know that this new digital perm is like sounds a bit of a gimmick to me, I still think the only way to get beautiful loose curls is with heated rollers,tongs and straighteners.i hope you go back and they get a better result for you :) let me know how u get on !

Thanks for the advice. I will let you know what happens when I go tomorrow.

I have to agree you will have to give them the chance to re do the perm, I know some ppl would find it uncomfortable but I hope they will be extra professional and extra nice ! As this is incontinent for you. As a stylist we dont always get it right first time, everyone's hair is different and you therefore get different results on different clients. They may have done everything right and they have spent time, money and wages still to pay.i don't know that this new digital perm is like sounds a bit of a gimmick to me, I still think the only way to get beautiful loose curls is with heated rollers,tongs and straighteners.i hope you go back and they get a better result for you :) let me know how u get on !

Hi there. Just wanted to give you an update. I went back to the salon today and they were very happy to give me a full refund. I think they realised that there probably wouldn't be any point in perming my hair again as it wasn't going to take.

The hairdresser advised me that my hair is coated with silicone because of all the moisturising shampoos and conditioners I've used in the past (I think that's more or less what he said as I'm no expert in hair) and advised me to continue to use protein shampoo and conditioner which I actually bought from them this time as they had it in stock (it's the Redken protein brand) and I was also advised that the first time I wash it again I should use washing up liquid first and then the shampoo and conditioner as this would help strip out the silicone?? Hopefully to you experts out there this makes sense? So, as advised, I'm going to carry on using the protein products in the hope that eventually my hair will retain the curls I have styled it with as it won't be so soft anymore. Fingers crossed this works but I am very happy that they were so reasonable and responsible about the refund. :)

Hi, just a few words on the comments you had from the salon that carried out your Digital Perm and the silicone build up on your hair. It is all about the Ph of the shampoo you are using that can cause this to happen most if not all the shampoos in supermarkets do not state the Ph of the product you are washing your hair in and most none professional products do have silicones in. The silicones coat the hair to give a silky shiny feel to the hair which is false. Hair and skin should have a Ph of 4.5/5.5 some cheap shampoos have a Ph of anywhere from 7.8 to 9.2 very high in Alkalinity which is damaging to the hair (drying it out) the reason for the high Ph is to open the outer layer of the hair the cuticle the cuticle layer is the outer layer of the hair that protects the inside of the hair the cortex. It opens the cuticle to give a deeper clean (so they would say) but there is benefit from using professional products on your hair us as Hairdressers do not just want to sell you a product to gain more profit from you the customer. it is about the health of your hair that is important to us here at The Salon Durham. In your consultation, the stylist should have detected that you had a build up of product (silicon on your hair) and advised for you to use a clarifying shampoo to try and get it out of the hair there are treatments that take it out before your perming service. We would have asked you to come in to The Salon for a consultation before your perm to assess your hair if you had silicons on your hair we would advise you to use the Joico clarifying shampoo or Redken cleansing cream shampoo to use for a week or two before the perming service to try and get the silicons out of the hair then at your perming appointment you would have a pre-treatment to get the remaining silicons out. I hope this gives you some clarity on what could have been the problem. The silicons acts like what vanish would do on a wood door and think of the cuticle layer of your hair like the bark of a tree which is protecting all the goodness inside the tree the job of the cuticle is to protect the goodness inside the hair

Hi, just a few words on the comments you had from the salon that carried out your Digital Perm and the silicone build up on your hair. It is all about the Ph of the shampoo you are using that can cause this to happen most if not all the shampoos in supermarkets do not state the Ph of the product you are washing your hair in and most none professional products do have silicones in. The silicones coat the hair to give a silky shiny feel to the hair which is false. Hair and skin should have a Ph of 4.5/5.5 some cheap shampoos have a Ph of anywhere from 7.8 to 9.2 very high in Alkalinity which is damaging to the hair (drying it out) the reason for the high Ph is to open the outer layer of the hair the cuticle the cuticle layer is the outer layer of the hair that protects the inside of the hair the cortex. It opens the cuticle to give a deeper clean (so they would say) but there is benefit from using professional products on your hair us as Hairdressers do not just want to sell you a product to gain more profit from you the customer. it is about the health of your hair that is important to us here at The Salon Durham. In your consultation, the stylist should have detected that you had a build up of product (silicon on your hair) and advised for you to use a clarifying shampoo to try and get it out of the hair there are treatments that take it out before your perming service. We would have asked you to come in to The Salon for a consultation before your perm to assess your hair if you had silicons on your hair we would advise you to use the Joico clarifying shampoo or Redken cleansing cream shampoo to use for a week or two before the perming service to try and get the silicons out of the hair then at your perming appointment you would have a pre-treatment to get the remaining silicons out. I hope this gives you some clarity on what could have been the problem. The silicons acts like what vanish would do on a wood door and think of the cuticle layer of your hair like the bark of a tree which is protecting all the goodness inside the tree the job of the cuticle is to protect the goodness inside the hair

Welcome to the site.

Just so you know, this thread was created over 5 years ago, and the original poster hasn’t logged in since 2013.

Latest posts

Back