Do i shut up and put up?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
urgh, I cannot believe some people have the cheek to do this. its just plain disguisting! even if she does have a medical problem etc, she should be even more inclined to check she hasn't made a mess. I know it sounds awful but i think woman are worse than men. I work in a large spa and when i was a spa assistant, the amont of times we would find poo smeared in the toilet cubicles(and its always in the ladies), in the sauna, even just on the walkways! its disguisting how people can do it.and what makes it worse is it wasnt even like they had been poorly, they were always solid lol. I know most of us aren't like that thank god, but there are some minging people around.

I too, would send everybbody an email or text or pop it in your newsletter if you have one, and just explain that it is because of health and safety that you can regrettably no longer let people use your toilet facilities. or you could even say the truth, and send it to everybody and say that unforunately due to a few people leaving my bathroom in an awfull mess when they come, i am now having to withdraw the use of my bathroom facilities, so if you could all make sure you go before you come that would be fab. apologies to the majority of you who do respect my house.
something along those lines anyways.

Rachel xxx

Gosh, some of you have some guts - I'm a total wimp when it comes to confronting anyone!!
I would say it depends on how much she is worth to you, If her treatment takes a while you can't really say no you can't use the loo can you?? she may make a puddle in your nail room?
If you don't mind losing her custom then play the health and safety card but if you need her money I'd just have the bleach and marigolds ready every time she visits, I worked in a care home for a bit and some of the sights there would blow this out of the water ( or all over the floor :lol:). even if you can get some of those disposable seat covers etc - you still have to pick them up afterwards!!

Great answers thank you guys
But A, I live on my own, unless George Clooney fancies coming round for a bath once a fortnight thats put paid to that, and B the nail room is upstairs WITH THE BATHROOM AAARRRGGHH!!!!
Think the paper toilet seat cover is a good idea, and if she asks why, i think i will have to tactfully say that it is because SOMEONE is making a mess everytime they visit - do you think she will get it DOH!!! :grr:
I'm sorry but George baths with me and me only!!! End of!!! :wink2:

Jokes aside, I think Susie H has given you some good advice. Unfortunately, no matter how many polite notices, no matter how big and bold the notice.... some people either just don't get it or simply don't care.

No matter how sweet they are, their standards of hygiene are not as one would expect perhaps because they have never known differently :rolleyes:.

If you keep this client, make sure you 'extra sanitize' her hands before beginning a treatment.

WOW! This is shocking!
Some people are unbelievable! :eek::irked:
What a horrible situation to be in.

I think I would have to go down the health & safety route.
You could even maybe say, somebody slipped in my bathroom on some urine someone didnt clean up & luckily is not going to take futher actions but I cant face the risk of being sued from any future accidents.

Do you live in a house?
If so is it possible to make your front room into a nail room for just when these clients visit?

Goodluck with whatever you do - keep us posted x:hug:x

If you keep this client, make sure you 'extra sanitize' her hands before beginning a treatment.

This is a VERY good point!

On second thoughts is there any way you could do these clients as mobile? x

It would seem that either she has a physical problem, or she's doing it willfully, in which case it's a mental problem. If it's the first and it's partly because she is extremely overweight she may quite honestly not be able to see what she's done ( can't see over her tummy?) In either case I don't think a blanket message will help. I also don't think banning the loo will help as this could result in an accident! The bottom line (!!!) is to either remove her from your client list (very awkward), speak with her privately or be prepared to clean up each time. Poor you!

Perhaps a little sign or something that stands out... "if you sprinkle when you tinkle, be discreet and wipe the seat" :)

Then if that doesnt work I would leave a sign addressing the issue directly and asking people to be mindful of basic hygiene, polite but firm.

LOVE IT! I would also say to your client, "Can you believe anyone would leave a mess in someone's bathroom. I can't believe I actually have to post a sign like this."

She'll never guess you are talking about her.

Best of luck! :)

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I feel completely differently about this. I think it is awful and rather than quoting health and safety, emailing or texting all my clients etc I would most definitely be having a quiet word with this particular client and addressing the problem directly (but in as nice a way as possible).

Just something along the lines of "I know this is a bit awkward but the last few times you've used my bathroom there has been a bit of a problem. I'm sure you didnt realise at the time, but could you just have a quick check when you're finished to make sure everything is clean" Then quickly move on to talk about something else :lol:

After all, this is YOUR HOME first and foremost.

I would not have a problem quietly cleaning this up if it was a one off, however, it wasn't, so chances are you will keep having this problem until you address it directly.

The fact you have a sign up, and she has said she hates mucky toilets makes me suspect she is totally oblivious to the problem (intentionally or otherwise)!!

Good luck!

how about maybe get them paper toilet things you put around the seat and flush after you use them? Maybe she won't hover over the toilet!!

This is a VERY good point!

On second thoughts is there any way you could do these clients as mobile? x

I think Emma maybe right! I think this would be a much better option, and definately what I would do in this situation.
Do you have a car? Could you go to her house?
If so, then maybe you could just explain that from the end of April or whatever, you will be going mobile and will no longer be working from home, and so you would like to be able to visit her and her friends in the comfort of her own home instead!?
That way, there is no confrontation at all, you don't lose her and her money, and she don't use your loo anymore!
Just make sure you go to the loo before you visit her, as I'm sure you wouldn't like to use her bathroom!! :eek: lol

Loving that idea of doing them mobile, you then won't have a problem. We had a client who used to put paper hand towels down our loo, we never had washable towels we wanted everything disposable, there was a bin underneath the towel dispenser and she used to throw them down the loo. Sometimes it was so full that we had to fish them out the loo before attempting to flush.

It was so bad that we then refused to let her use the loo. One of the rooms has a loo room in it so we had to put a lock on the door and tell her it was out of order. She would then ask for other toilets she could use but we kept saying they were all out of order. She is no longer a client but the cost of the repairs in comparison to what she spent anyway was far greater so we never lost out.

I think Emma maybe right! I think this would be a much better option, and definately what I would do in this situation.
Do you have a car? Could you go to her house?
If so, then maybe you could just explain that from the end of April or whatever, you will be going mobile and will no longer be working from home, and so you would like to be able to visit her and her friends in the comfort of her own home instead!?
That way, there is no confrontation at all, you don't lose her and her money, and she don't use your loo anymore!
Just make sure you go to the loo before you visit her, as I'm sure you wouldn't like to use her bathroom!! :eek: lol
Well done Emma:hug:
I too think this is the perfect answer you never know, she might spend even more with you this way and it solves the problem neatly for her and her 2 friends.

Thanks so much for all your replies guys, in reply to some of the answers, I do have a house, and if I did their nails in the front room she would still have to go upstairs to use the loo, someone has mentioned a notice in the bathroom, I put a notice in there the first time she left a mess - totally thick skinned or thick:rolleyes:!!
Sadly girls the reason i work from home is because I have 6 screws in my back, and i am in alot of pain most days, and going mobile has never been an option for me as my nail room is set up with my posture stool, and desk that was made especially for me, I tried doing some mobilel when i first trained, and would be in agony after 10 minutes of sitting at someones dinner table on an ordinary chair. I had to give up mobile hairdressing as i cannot stand for too long, and carrying the equipment was a killer.
Anyway, some flushable toilet seat covers have arrived this morning, so have tried them out and they are pretty good, so I will be putting these down when she comes, if it carries on i will just have to tell her that the toilet is no longer in use due to a mess being left by a certain individual, and if they dont like it it is tough, i think i could also use the health and safety card, and say someone put their foot in it and slipped!!!!
Really loved the answers guys - thank you soo much you lovely lot:hug: xxxxxx

I would buy a tub or packet of sanitiser wipes and put them on the back of the toilet or somewhere she will definatley see them and maybe mention that they are there - something like 'oh I've bought some new toilet seat sanitiser wipes, they are in the bathroom feel free to use them'.

They have these in our local hospital on the maternity ward, it helps to put people at ease knowing the seat is clean before they use it because they have cleaned it - this stops the hovering & hopefully this will stop the leak on the floor.

If it is a larger lady and you think she may be having trouble with the seat have you thought of getting a different toilet seat? I'm sure the cost would be worth every penny if it put an end to the issue.
Something like this would stop anything from escaping between the seat and the toilet so would help eliminate leaks - and might be more comfy for her and you too with back issues - if not maybe there is another type of seat that will have the lip at the front but not be soo high.

Raised Toilet Seats for disabled people | Raised Toilet Seats products | Toileting for disabled and elderly people

HTH

Sorry to put this in your mind but if she's leaving that much mess i'd be more worried about if she is even washing her hands? :/

I just had another idea today (whilst in the middle of doing a facial) next time this lady goes a toilet, leave it a few minutes then ask her friend to do you a favour & get the packet of cotton pads/box of tissues/hand towel from the bathroom that you left on the side. Hopefully the friend will see what her friend has just done & have a polite quiet chat with her for you, or failing that at least maybe clean it up for you.

Or after she has been, you check it, then just say to her, would you please just give that a little clean for me, thanks.

Sorry to hear about you back problem, that must be awful to live with. Also another reason why you shouldnt be bending down cleaning up this mess.

Maybe the lady is squatting because where she is larger maybe she is frightened of breaking the seat.

After reading everything I would go down the health & safety/ somebody (or you) slipped route.

x:hug:x

Sorry to put this in your mind but if she's leaving that much mess i'd be more worried about if she is even washing her hands? :/

Yes she is and how do i know - instead of using the lovely pink hand soap pump dispenser that is on the side of the basin, she had reached over and used my bath soap that i use in the shower/bath!!!!:irked:
xx

Yes she is and how do i know - instead of using the lovely pink hand soap pump dispenser that is on the side of the basin, she had reached over and used my bath soap that i use in the shower/bath!!!!:irked:
xx

That would annoy me so much! There is possible reasons for the mess she makes (although none for her not clearing it up) but for her to use something that's personal and not for clients use I don't think there is any explanation x

I just had another idea today (whilst in the middle of doing a facial) next time this lady goes a toilet, leave it a few minutes then ask her friend to do you a favour & get the packet of cotton pads/box of tissues/hand towel from the bathroom that you left on the side. Hopefully the friend will see what her friend has just done & have a polite quiet chat with her for you, or failing that at least maybe clean it up for you.

Or after she has been, you check it, then just say to her, would you please just give that a little clean for me, thanks.

Sorry to hear about you back problem, that must be awful to live with. Also another reason why you shouldnt be bending down cleaning up this mess.

Maybe the lady is squatting because where she is larger maybe she is frightened of breaking the seat.

After reading everything I would go down the health & safety/ somebody (or you) slipped route.

x:hug:x
Amazing what you think of whilst in the middle of working isnt it?!!!
Yes im thinking about using the toilet seat covers that i have just bought, and going in there and checking it as soon as she has used it, and do what you have said, mind you im not sure the friend wouuld notice if she had made a mess as they brought cakes for their afternoon with me the other week, and her friend dropped a doughnut on the floor and i said i would hoover it up later, and she had her ugg boots on (that she never wipes when she comes in) and rubbed the sugar into the carpet with her boots on and laughed and said "its gone now" UNBELIVEVABLE:irked:
The toilet seat is a good idea, that Baggybear suggested, i will look into that, i do have wipes on the side but they go unnoticed.
Much more of it and her friends abusing my home i will just blow and they wont be coming again, money or no money, they dont have any respect for anything when they come round. Oh how i would love to be able to go mobile to her home and leave one of my cats do do's on her toilet seat!!!:lol:
Thanks for replies - hope you all have fab weekend :hug: xxx

Latest posts

Back