Do you run another business other than hair and beauty?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaine Armani

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Do you any of you guys run other businesses in a completely different industry than hair and beauty? (Or wholesale beauty products and etc)
I'm so interested in business and I feel like I enjoy running a business more than actually providing the services (also love that too) I'm working really really hard and I am going to completely venture out my current hair extension business which will also have hair(soon) & beauty available too.
Tbh I honestly make more money distributing my suppliers hair than actually fitting them. (To other suppliers)
I'm also thinking of importing hair but I'm having second thoughts because there's about 100000 other home based businesses in my area that import hair & wholesale it. So if I just continue what in doing now I would LOVE to have something else on the side but I'm just trying to find that something within me.
Id be interested in hearing what else you guys do on the side business wise :)
Thanku xxx

I run 2 businesses and have been involved in others. Virtues is who would be best to advise on the subject as she has many successful businesses.

I'm currently setting up my nail business and also a crafty one too as I make plushies etc. I love being busy and knowing that once I've finished my clients I can get on my sewing machine and relax while watching the tv or listening to music. Its great to have a hobby away from "work" although I feel like my nails are a hobby! :).x

Ha ha guys you're right I sure do have different businesses (for my sins) along with a very poor sense of humour attached!! :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have a party company doing face painting, glitter tattoos, balloon twisting and balloon decorations!

www.facebook.com/partysmart if anyone is interested haha.

Ha ha guys you're right I sure do have different businesses (for my sins) along with a very poor sense of humour attached!! :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Haha Virtues!
I'm amazed.. Which one did you start off with first?
Like I said in my post I think I actually enjoy running a business and being in control much more than providing the services. I never thought I would ever like it but now that I do I want more and more!! :D

I'm a perfume consultant which works well alongside my mobile beauty business.

I too love running a business. I find it all really interesting and fun. I did several other little ventures before becoming a self employed artist in 2007. This is my main job and I am starting the nails as a side biz. Going to do my art on nails!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

I think Lynne baker does distribution and runs a salon too I think, interesting thread as I too like these portfolio type careers

I'm currently setting up my nail business and also a crafty one too as I make plushies etc. I love being busy and knowing that once I've finished my clients I can get on my sewing machine and relax while watching the tv or listening to music. Its great to have a hobby away from "work" although I feel like my nails are a hobby! :).x

What's a plushie? Excuse my ignorance.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I make sweet trees and hire sweet carts out www.facebook.com/ks.kandy
Love this thread!!! Im so nosy love hearing what others do x

Haha Virtues!
I'm amazed.. Which one did you start off with first?
Like I said in my post I think I actually enjoy running a business and being in control much more than providing the services. I never thought I would ever like it but now that I do I want more and more!! :D

Good for you Elaine. Here is just a little of my situation.

I have been a General Manager, registered Co Sec and Shadow Director for the last 10 years for an Industrial valve manufacturers for the petrochemical, mining, oil and gas and critical industries. I learnt all my business skills and traveled the world a few times attending meetings whilst in this employment. I studied and passed all my business management and AAT qualifications. It is a man's world and not many women are seen or taken seriously in this industry and there are very few females in senior management. Probably has something to do with why people see me as being blunt in the way I write. I have no time for flowering everything up. This was my grounding. I left in May 2013 to pursue other interests. We have shares in this company.

I have a hair salon which I bought for my daughter in 2011 I am not a hairdresser, I have no formal qualifications in this area. I brand my own range of hair extensions. I decided to start a beauty salon next door to my hair salon,and very quickly became qualified in VRQ level 2 this was purely so I knew more than my staff not so much to practice. I then went on to qualify with CACI, IIAA, CND etc but before I opened my beauty studio I made a commercial decision and shut it down and took it home. I choose when I want to work here.

My husband and I are both photographers so we have a photography company. We also have a web design company and an innovations company where we design and innovate in different industries, we are heavily involved with the Government Technology Strategy Board where we have just won the 2013 grant for outstanding innovation for a compact styling hairbrush of which the prototype is being made this month, this potentially will change the way hairdressing will be taught in college and will be global but to the professionals, not public, we have many high profile companies and celebrity hairdressers involved with this project but the IP rights and patents are solely with us. We have another 4 projects to be started in 2014 but not in this industry.

Not bad for someone who was expelled from boarding school at 15 with zero qualifications but I am a quick learner and a grafter!. This is why I have a different view from many on this site with regards to business, employment law and the length of time you train.

Last edited:
Inspiring is all ive got to say

Sent from my GT-S5360 using SalonGeek mobile app

Good for you Elaine. Here is just a little of my situation.

I have been a General Manager, registered Co Sec and Shadow Director for the last 10 years for an Industrial valve manufacturers for the petrochemical, mining, oil and gas and critical industries. I learnt all my business skills and traveled the world a few times attending different meetings whilst in this employment. I studied and passed all my business management and AAT qualifications. It is a man's world and not many women are seen or taken seriously in this industry and there are very few females in senior management. Probably has something to do with why people see me as being blunt in the way I write. I have no time for flowering everything up. This was my grounding. I left in May 2013 to pursue other interests. We have shares in this company.

I have a hair salon which I bought for my daughter in 2011 I am not a hairdresser, I have no formal qualifications in this area. I brand my own range of hair extensions. I decided to start a beauty salon next door to my hair salon,and very quickly became qualified in VRQ level 2 this was purely so I knew more than my staff not so much to practice. I then went on to qualify with CACI, IIAA, CND etc but before I opened my beauty studio I made a commercial decision and shut it down and took it home. I choose when I want to work here.

My husband and I are both photographers so we have a photography company. We also have a web design company and an innovations company where we design for different industries, we are heavily involved with the Government Technology Strategy Board where we have just won the 2013 grant for outstanding innovation for a compact styling hairbrush of which the prototype is being made this month, this potentially will change the way hairdressing will be taught in college and will be global but to the professionals, not public, we have many high profile companies and celebrity hairdressers involved with this project but the IP rights and patents are solely with us. We have another 4 projects to be started in 2014 but not in this industry.

Not bad for someone who was expelled from boarding school at 15 with zero qualifications but I am a quick learner and a grafter!. This is why I have a different view from many on this site with regards to business, employment law and the length of time you train.

Wooooowww! You sound like you have such an interesting (& hard working) life!

Thank you for your kind comments everyone. Please don't think any of this was handed to me. I have worked extremely hard for many years and there have been some incredibly hard times. I am probably 20 years ahead of some of you. (I'm 40 ....boo) But...... I am not one of these people who say "I love my job" ... I LOVE MONEY and what it brings. I am happy to admit it.

Wow im suprised you have time to do anything especially posting here. But salon geek is addictive :)

I love money, how do i be as successful as you?? Ha.

I bet all the hardwork is very worthwhile...

Sent from my GT-S5360 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think my income is limited to the amount of hours I work, period. Therefore to be able to earn high it will need to be in distribution, manufacturing, and so forth so still thinking........

I only work when I feel like it or when I'm told to these days. I spend my time designing, messing about, and directing where I have to direct. 9 -5 hours have long gone however now its more like 24 hours - ha ha. I am building my portfolio for my CACI and Environ services at the moment. I like this part. A lot.

Latest posts

Back