Do you run another business other than hair and beauty?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love money, how do i be as successful as you?? Ha.

I bet all the hardwork is very worthwhile...

Sent from my GT-S5360 using SalonGeek mobile app

This is a difficult question for me to answer in a manner that people wont find offensive. I can, and only talk on a personal level in this site, what is good for one isn't good for another. How much is a lot of money..some people class 500 a week a lot of money others think £500 a day is a lot of money. I think more people find job satisfaction a greater benefit than money in this industry. I don't care much for 'happy job' I go where the money is. There are many thoroughly talented people on this site, but I find it wasted with this unregulated industry everyone is competing in. Competition is healthy but there is only so much you can compete with. Even the beauty side of my business is not that competitive with those around me. I don't offer the usual bikini waxing, acrylic nails, eyelashes, I'd be blown out of the water competing on price only. Please don't confuse this comment that there isn't money to be made here. This is just my personal thoughts on achieving the money that I would be happy to make in the area that I am in.

If you are happy to be in work mode 24 hours a day, don't turn your phone off, have a laptop stuck to your hand, go on holiday with a suitcase full of electrical devices, cutting holidays short to sort out issues then you could possible achieve it... ha ha. It's not for the faint hearted. It can be soul destroying. Having a thick skin and not getting upset with the first sentence that you take a dislike to certainly helps....need I go on! :)

Last edited:
Wow well good for you am sure you deserve all the luxuries you do get.

Not many could live your life.
Xxx

Wow well good for you am sure you deserve all the luxuries you do get.

Not many could live your life.
Xxx

... and not many would want to. It can be very lonely. X

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Well with Salon geek i hope you dont ever feel lonely,

My new addiction!x

There must be more geeks that have more than one business, please share.

...but very rewarding, especially if your dream is early retirement. I've spent way too much time being employed (also management). Now I'm trying to catch up starting up my business, helping my hubby start his and having another one in my mind to start up next year. I even moved abroad to make it happen and speed things up. My target is probably not as high as yours as there's only 2 of us and I don't need a fortune but still some decent money needs to be made. But it's fun! If I knew business can be a hobby I'd start ages ago! ;)

Sent from my GT-S7500 using SalonGeek mobile app

Could I ask, but please don't feel you need to reply, have you any regrets or feel you've missed out on family and friends, relationships? Do you feel you have ever made a compromise too far?

Could I ask, but please don't feel you need to reply, have you any regrets or feel you've missed out on family and friends, relationships? Do you feel you have ever made a compromise too far?

Absolutely. There will always be sacrifice. I love my daughter very much but I am aware that I am not maternal and never wanted to have anymore. However, looking back at my life I didn't really know my parents, I left for boarding school at about the age of 12. My father showed me little love as a youngster. I was a joker and rebelled against everything and everyone. I was expelled at 15 and ran away to London I was in care homes for a year or two. I never went home again. I haven't seen my father for many years now, don't know if he is still alive. My mother I haven't spoken to for six years she lives about 20 minutes away. I have no siblings.

My parents were extremely disappointed in me for not taking any exams or attempting university, being called stupid at every opportunity etc ,this is one of the reasons I do not speak with my mother today. The drive I have to succeed has always been that one day my parents would say they were proud of me. I know this will never happen. I don't need to go to counseling - I know my reasons behind my lifestyle and accept it openly. I have been through two marriages because of my ambition and desire to achieve and earn money, they couldn't keep up with me and I felt they just held me back. I am now with someone who is far more ambitious and successful than I and this keeps me on a level that I am content and happy with. There will always be reasons behind why people do things in life. I have no regrets but I do have guilt with my daughter as for my ambition I never attended one sports day, never went to the school more than once a year to see a school play she was in...my mother always went on my behalf.

Absolutely. There will always be sacrifice. I love my daughter very much but I am aware that I am not maternal and never wanted to have anymore. However, looking back at my life I didn't really know my parents, I left for boarding school at about the age of 12. My father showed me little love as a youngster. I was a joker and rebelled against everything and everyone. I was expelled at 15 and ran away to London I was in care homes for a year or two. I never went home again. I haven't seen my father for many years now, don't know if he is still alive. My mother I haven't spoken to for six years she lives about 20 minutes away. I have no siblings.

My parents were extremely disappointed in me for not taking any exams or attempting university, being called stupid at every opportunity etc ,this is one of the reasons I do not speak with my mother today. The drive I have to succeed has always been that one day my parents would say they were proud of me. I know this will never happen. I don't need to go to counseling - I know my reasons behind my lifestyle and accept it openly. I have been through two marriages because of my ambition and desire to achieve and earn money, they couldn't keep up with me and I felt they just held me back. I am now with someone who is far more ambitious and successful than I and this keeps me on a level that I am content and happy with. There will always be reasons behind why people do things in life. I have no regrets but I do have guilt with my daughter as for my ambition I never attended one sports day, never went to the school more than once a year to see a school play she was in...my mother always went on my behalf.

Wow, I'm moved to tears, you wear your heart on your sleeve, respect to you xx

...but very rewarding, especially if your dream is early retirement. I've spent way too much time being employed (also management). Now I'm trying to catch up starting up my business, helping my hubby start his and having another one in my mind to start up next year. I even moved abroad to make it happen and speed things up. My target is probably not as high as yours as there's only 2 of us and I don't need a fortune but still some decent money needs to be made. But it's fun! If I knew business can be a hobby I'd start ages ago! ;)

Sent from my GT-S7500 using SalonGeek mobile app

What businesses are they that you are starting? ...I've spent just under twenty thousand on two machines for my hobby, it is a very expensive hobby! ha ha

Good for you Elaine. Here is just a little of my situation.

I have been a General Manager, registered Co Sec and Shadow Director for the last 10 years for an Industrial valve manufacturers for the petrochemical, mining, oil and gas and critical industries. I learnt all my business skills and traveled the world a few times attending meetings whilst in this employment. I studied and passed all my business management and AAT qualifications. It is a man's world and not many women are seen or taken seriously in this industry and there are very few females in senior management. Probably has something to do with why people see me as being blunt in the way I write. I have no time for flowering everything up. This was my grounding. I left in May 2013 to pursue other interests. We have shares in this company.

I have a hair salon which I bought for my daughter in 2011 I am not a hairdresser, I have no formal qualifications in this area. I brand my own range of hair extensions. I decided to start a beauty salon next door to my hair salon,and very quickly became qualified in VRQ level 2 this was purely so I knew more than my staff not so much to practice. I then went on to qualify with CACI, IIAA, CND etc but before I opened my beauty studio I made a commercial decision and shut it down and took it home. I choose when I want to work here.

My husband and I are both photographers so we have a photography company. We also have a web design company and an innovations company where we design for different industries, we are heavily involved with the Government Technology Strategy Board where we have just won the 2013 grant for outstanding innovation for a compact styling hairbrush of which the prototype is being made this month, this potentially will change the way hairdressing will be taught in college and will be global but to the professionals, not public, we have many high profile companies and celebrity hairdressers involved with this project but the IP rights and patents are solely with us. We have another 4 projects to be started in 2014 but not in this industry.

Not bad for someone who was expelled from boarding school at 15 with zero qualifications but I am a quick learner and a grafter!. This is why I have a different view from many on this site with regards to business, employment law and the length of time you train.

Wow. Just wow. Thankyou for sharing your stories, truly inspiring x

Wow. Just wow. Thankyou for sharing your stories, truly inspiring x

Thank you for reading and being inspired. You can achieve anything with common sense, business acumen, calculated risk and a support network of qualified professionals around you. I don't believe in dreams, hope or the saying "when I win the lottery" - if you want something go and get it. It can be done. x

I only work when I feel like it or when I'm told to these days. I spend my time designing, messing about, and directing where I have to direct. 9 -5 hours have long gone however now its more like 24 hours - ha ha. I am building my portfolio for my CACI and Environ services at the moment. I like this part. A lot.

Its a small world, what work are you involved in to be building a portfolio for CACI, my OH has been doing some contracted consultancy work for CACI , he was heavily invloved in something related to the Environ contract, I remember the tight deadlines :lol: I find it very boring but for some people its very interesting

Its a small world, what work are you involved in to be building a portfolio for CACI, my OH has been doing some contracted consultancy work for CACI , he was heavily invloved in something related to the Environ contract, I remember the tight deadlines :lol: I find it very boring but for some people its very interesting

You're not the first to say CACI is boring ha ha. I have both the CACI Ultimate and the Environ DF machines. I am qualified in both and am building my portfolio of pictures so clients can see what results can be achieved. I just love results. If I can make a difference to someones skin it makes me very happy. I don't consult for them.

You're not the first to say CACI is boring ha ha. I have both the CACI Ultimate and the Environ DF machines. I am qualified in both and am building my portfolio of pictures so clients can see what results can be achieved. I just love results. If I can make a difference to someones skin it makes me very happy. I don't consult for them.

Ah he was involved in the tendering of the development and role out of the CACI.

Do you have a website or any pics, I would love to have a look at the results of the treatment, Ive read a lot about it esp when he was involved in something to do with it, It piqued my interest. I think Id trust a fellow geek and her pics than some random clinic.
I have been thinking about taking the plunge. I dont want to end up looking like a monster or a troll :green: if the treatment went wrong, its a big step and I want to have as much info and research behind me when I take that step across that bridge.

edit - It was strange when he was telling me all about it, I think he thought i would get it because I am in the beauty industry but his side of things was very boring, for the consumer maybe not so, but any pics and personal experience you have would be great.

Last edited:
Ah he was involved in the tendering of the development and role out of the CACI.

Do you have a website or any pics, I would love to have a look at the results of the treatment, Ive read a lot about it esp when he was involved in something to do with it, It piqued my interest. I think Id trust a fellow geek and her pics than some random clinic.
I have been thinking about taking the plunge. I dont want to end up looking like a monster or a troll :green: if the treatment went wrong, its a big step and I want to have as much info and research behind me when I take that step across that bridge.

edit - It was strange when he was telling me all about it, I think he thought i would get it because I am in the beauty industry but his side of things was very boring, for the consumer maybe not so, but any pics and personal experience you have would be great.

I have only one picture at the moment on my website under CACI treatments at the bottom, I am in the process of working through a portfolio and will have a gallery on the website, but this will take me a few weeks yet. The Beauty Bistro and CACI clinic - Home the results will only ever be as good as the therapist. :)

Good for you Elaine. Here is just a little of my situation.

I have been a General Manager, registered Co Sec and Shadow Director for the last 10 years for an Industrial valve manufacturers for the petrochemical, mining, oil and gas and critical industries. I learnt all my business skills and traveled the world a few times attending meetings whilst in this employment. I studied and passed all my business management and AAT qualifications. It is a man's world and not many women are seen or taken seriously in this industry and there are very few females in senior management. Probably has something to do with why people see me as being blunt in the way I write. I have no time for flowering everything up. This was my grounding. I left in May 2013 to pursue other interests. We have shares in this company.

I have a hair salon which I bought for my daughter in 2011 I am not a hairdresser, I have no formal qualifications in this area. I brand my own range of hair extensions. I decided to start a beauty salon next door to my hair salon,and very quickly became qualified in VRQ level 2 this was purely so I knew more than my staff not so much to practice. I then went on to qualify with CACI, IIAA, CND etc but before I opened my beauty studio I made a commercial decision and shut it down and took it home. I choose when I want to work here.

My husband and I are both photographers so we have a photography company. We also have a web design company and an innovations company where we design and innovate in different industries, we are heavily involved with the Government Technology Strategy Board where we have just won the 2013 grant for outstanding innovation for a compact styling hairbrush of which the prototype is being made this month, this potentially will change the way hairdressing will be taught in college and will be global but to the professionals, not public, we have many high profile companies and celebrity hairdressers involved with this project but the IP rights and patents are solely with us. We have another 4 projects to be started in 2014 but not in this industry.

Not bad for someone who was expelled from boarding school at 15 with zero qualifications but I am a quick learner and a grafter!. This is why I have a different view from many on this site with regards to business, employment law and the length of time you train.

Woooow very inspiring!!
Good luck virtues :D thanks for sharing

Last edited:
I also have other businesses, not connected to the hair and beauty industry. My focus has, for many years, been about building passive income, that is, things that pay me, even when I'm not actively working. I have flats and houses that I rent out.

I also have other businesses, not connected to the hair and beauty industry. My focus has, for many years, been about building passive income, that is, things that pay me, even when I'm not actively working. I have flats and houses that I rent out.

That's is something I want to do in the future, instead of buying luxuries with the money I earn I want to rent out. I know I have alot of things I am aiming to achieve at the age of 19 (still got a long way) but I am so fascinated by business & investing in houses. I think for me, I do like money but I am not really the person that is greedy to be wanting more money. I think I just thrive the success. The reason I am like this is because 1. I want to live a comfortable live money-wise and 2. My family, in particularly my cousins have put me done for leaving school at 15... They're all studying Medical sciences, Law, oral care and all of that boring stuff (well to me). They've put me down so much and constantly compete with me. Don't get me wrong, I am not competing with them but I think I am trying to prove a point to myself that finishing school and getting uni degrees is not the only way to get where you want to be in life and most importantly it is not the only way to be successful :)

That's is something I want to do in the future, instead of buying luxuries with the money I earn I want to rent out. I know I have alot of things I am aiming to achieve at the age of 19 (still got a long way) but I am so fascinated by business & investing in houses. I think for me, I do like money but I am not really the person that is greedy to be wanting more money. I think I just thrive the success. The reason I am like this is because 1. I want to live a comfortable live money-wise and 2. My family, in particularly my cousins have put me done for leaving school at 15... They're all studying Medical sciences, Law, oral care and all of that boring stuff (well to me). They've put me down so much and constantly compete with me. Don't get me wrong, I am not competing with them but I think I am trying to prove a point to myself that finishing school and getting uni degrees is not the only way to get where you want to be in life and most importantly it is not the only way to be successful :)
Pretty much all of the wealthiest people I know, don't have degrees. What they do have in common though is passive income.
A degree, and a professional level job will provide a comfortable enough life, but it won't make you rich per se. To achieve that requires a bit more creativity, which I think university beats out of people.

Latest posts

Back