Do you say no to long nails on short nailbeds?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I ask this because this year, more than any other, I did my usual Prom nail offer and most of them wanted them super long and I had about 5of them come back having lost one or two after 10 days or so (which given that they not used to wearing long nails, mostly had tiny nail-beds and had them way longer than I recommended to them, was not bad going really)

But even so, I find it irritating and embarrassing to be sitting there fixing nails that have "just fallen off" on these prom divas. It makes you feel like poo.

So my question is, with the recommended length of extension being to add no more than 50% of the nail bed in length, would you have refused to do these? I just found it tricky as they'd booked to have them done for prom and if I turned them down they'd never have got in anywhere else at such short notice.

I'm assuming that you've repaired these nails free of charge? Or you feel guilty as they've paid for nails that have only lasted 2-3 days?

The solution is simple .. give the client what they want :) HOWEVER, Explain to them that if they choose to have a length that they're nail bed is unable to support its unlikely that the nails will last 2-3 weeks and any repairs are charged at €x per 15mins of repair time

Then everyone is happy

I regularly do very long nails and don't have any issue however if it's younger ladies and those not used to additional length I recommend shorter and if they insist I'll do it but I point out they may not last and as noreen advises I'd charge for repairs.
The majority of my clients have longer enhancements so if I refused they'd go elsewhere.

I have to say I really don't enjoy prom season [emoji85] I dread it every year! Silly I know! And now that it's school holidays we've already seen an influx in school leavers booking in for acrylics.

I had this question too.

A few years back I really had my confidence knocked as I advised a client to go short as she had short bitten nails but she Insisted on long. They didn't last sbd she complained but was a friend of the salon owner so I felt really bad and awkward. It put me off doing nails fir ages. I'm just getting back in to it.

Can you get them to sign a disclaimer if they go against your advice so they can't come back re their nails falling off?

I tell them that I don't recommend it, I ask them lifestyle questions like what they do as a job, if they do housework etc. I also ask if they normally have problems when they have nails or if they get on really well with them. If they said they are a gardener who always has lifting and snapped nails and they ask for a long stiletto covered in crystals I would say to them it probably won't last and I recommend an alternative that way they know what they will get out of it and can make a more informed decision. You will often get some clients who you think won't get on with a product or nail shape/length and they do, that is just a bonus :) If they chose to have it that is up to them they don't come back complaining because you have already said it won't last. I find my clients appreciate that I admit things aren't right for them instead of just taking their money. At the end of the day we know best :)

I tell them I don't recommend the length but still feel bad if they lose one. I think I'm my own worst enemy tbh. I may not do proms next year.

Latest posts

Back