First cyclone.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nails_4_U

Reaction score
I am nervous but excited, am about to experience my first cyclone. Northern WA is going to have category 2 Tropical Cyclone Heidi hit us in Port Hedland around midnight tonight. I have been running around all day organizing out emergency supplies and evac bag just incase. Have scanned all important paperwork and birth certificates as well. Trying to have a rest now (4.30pm) as I know its going to be a long night....

Sorry pressed send lol. Has anyone else gone through a cyclone, typhoon, tornado, hurricane and have any advice or just share experience? Thanks :)

When I was travelling Australia, had one whilst on the Gold Coast, it wasn't to bad, we just couldn't go out doors for 4 days... I was so bloody bored, had no tv or Internet and had to keep the curtains closed as we thought the patio doors on the apartment would blow in! It was crazy, the sea looked like chocolate milkshake, all frothy and brown ewww it was horrible.

It sounds like your doing all the correct stuff so just keep safe ;) x

I was born during a hurricane, but I guess that's no help to you!

So even though I can't offer any advice, I'm sending love and hugs to you, and just hope you and your family stay safe, and are okay xxx

Thanks guys, just had a nap so I'm feeling alot more clear headed and ready now. Will keep you updated :)

If you haven't already done so it would be a good idea to fill up bottles and buckets of water, if it does hit you may be without drinking water for a few days. If it does hit tonight, line the walls of your toilet/bathroom with mattresses and shelter in there. Good luck tonight, my fingers are crossed that it doesn't hit.:hug:

If you haven't already done so it would be a good idea to fill up bottles and buckets of water, if it does hit you may be without drinking water for a few days. If it does hit tonight, line the walls of your toilet/bathroom with mattresses and shelter in there. Good luck tonight, my fingers are crossed that it doesn't hit.:hug:

Thanks darl. It's going to hit tonight. It's only a cat 2 so we don't need to full blown shelter. Our house is brand new and cyclone standard thank god. Gonna hit between 10pm-3am so will be a pretty hairy night :-/

Be carefull! And if you have pets get them inside and give them lots of comfort.
Be sure to pop on here soon to let us know ur ok xoxo

Oh and when I first read the thread name I thought u had bought a dyson xoxo

Hurricanes are our version of cyclones. Being in Florida for almost 50 years now, I've grown very acustomed to them.

The key is preparedness, ensuring you have the supplies you need in the event you are without power, water and food for several weeks (in the worst possible case scenario). After all the years I've lived in Florida, the longest I've been without power was 7 days. IT SUCKED!!!!!

We have a gas generator that ran just the basic power into the house. No air conditioning or anything. Most of the food in our refrigerator went bad.

We made the best of it though and fired up the outdoor grill and tried to grill all the meat in our freezer before it went bad. LOL

Last edited:
Starting to get alot heavier in rain and the sky is howling. Due to hit in 1.5hrs. I have pretty much the essentials but I think in future (first cyclone for the season, there will be more) I will have alot more bottled water, batteries and tinned food. Think we would last maybe 2 days with what I have here. Will keep everyone updated...

Stay safe hun.

Wow- I can't share a cyclone story or offer any advice but just wanted to say I hope you and your family (and everyone else for that matter) stay safe and it passes quickly!

xo :hug:

I dont know any stories either but i send you positive vibes and best wishes that you and your family stay safe! hopefully everything be fine xoxo

You guys make me smile. Thanks for the warm wishes. They are saying it's very unpredictable at the moment. Slowing down then speeding up really quickly. Waiting for next update at midnight. My hubby has gone to be but for me I won't be able to sleep until the worst is over which they are saying may still be another 3-4hrs. Glad I had that nap this arvo :)

Hi geeks. Latest update. To give you an idea here is a pic. I'm in Port Hedland, the dark pink is destructive winds up to 155km per hour and the light pink is gale force winds up to 100km per hour. A couple more hours till the worst hits :-/

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1326297720.668783.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1326297720.668783.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 65
Hi, great advice above so nothing to add sorry. Second everything alpina said. I'm in QLD and am glad you are taking the warnings seriously - alot of people don't (myself included previously). Have to say after 2008 and last year, I think myself greatful for the warnings. False alarm or not!

Thinking of you and your family! xx

Oh dear :( stay safe x thinking of you. Keep us updated if you can x

Latest posts

Back