Found a room to rent what do you think?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Violet Star

Reaction score
After taking some great advice on salon geek i decided to look for a room to rent and see what i can find in my price range.

Well after ringing about 30 hairdressers ive found a room to rent the lady said i can rent it out as many days i want in the week and she will be charging me 20.00 a day. I can do spray tans, nails and lash/brow tinting and waxing..I thought i could rent it for 1 day a week to start off with and then perhaps increase if it becomes busy.

I have another option an NSS nail bar and hairdressers who are charging 70.00 a week to rent out their beauty room and this is for 6 days a week but i can only do tanning and lash/brow treatments and waxing (when i qualify for wax)

Which option do you think sounds best?

Personally I would go with the flexable option and take it for one or two days so that you can add more days as you get busier. I would do maybe a thursday and a saturday or mondays may be good as lots of other salons close on a monday.:hug: Make sure you take a look at the room and see if there are any additional charges and also if the rent is liable to go up if you get busy.

The flexible option def sounds best. Fridays or Saturdays could be good. Good luck xx.

I would think your better off renting at least two days a week as you need to be a presence to get your cleints. As much as word of mouth works wonders, actually being available to do a treatment is up there with it.

20.00 a day is very reasonable, double check exactly what you will be getting with that, will they take your apps? will they expect money for the tea/coffee, the phone bill, electric??

glad things are looking up for you now :)

i would see if you can re-negotiate the first option to an hourly rate, that way you can be more flexible and you will get more clients but without having to pay the full price of £20 per day! or maybe even work out you pay a percentage of what you take?
hth

Hiya,
I rent a room in a hairdressers and found it was a great starting point! About half their clients have treatments with me now. Its a good idea to hang around in the salon a bit if your quiet cos they get to know you and ask you questions...leading to treatments = £££.

I think the £20 a day will be perfect.....Try to do a Saturday & a late night....You can then start booking the other days as you get bussier...well done you x

Once someone gets a good job then the word will spread...

Thanks guys for your advice and support once again :hug:

I spoke to the lady option 1 who will be renting the room for 20.00 a day im going there tommorow and im going to find out more information about this price etc. And i will be looking at the room so ill let you all know how it goes.

Im so excited this is a big step for me and will hopefully build up my client base more. And the great benefits is that i can still work home based and take out two days a week to go to the hairdressers :hug:

i rent a room in a busy hair dressers it costs me £45 a week and i go in mondays, tuesdays, thursday, friday and half day saturday and i get alot of my clients from the hairdressers clientel. I think its a good idea you stick to the hairdressers because it will help you alot when your first starting out there and you will find you get alot of clients through the hair dressing.

Just wanted to say that the room hire rates where I live are £10 an hour so I would kill for £20 a day charge!

Hi Guys!

I went to go and see the room today and its perfect, great size already a nail table there and wax bed when i qualify.

The lady said i can either have it for 20.00 a day or she can take 33% out what i earn.

Shall i go for the % bit as at least then i can go in everyday rather than just one day xx

Will you be suppying the products?
I think a % is a good way to start as you would only be paying if you have clients and it won't leave you out of pocket.
I think 33% is fair.
Good luck with the room!

Will you be suppying the products?
I think a % is a good way to start as you would only be paying if you have clients and it won't leave you out of pocket.
I think 33% is fair.
Good luck with the room!

Yeah i will be using my own products but using their equiptment (apart from tanning equitpment)

xx

I think that 33% is too much to be honest. From what I've seen on a lot of threads 25% seems much more reasonable, especially as you're supplying your own products. When you've increased your clientèle and your takings have gone up (let's say from £100 per day to £200 per day) would you still be happy paying 33%? I know that I wouldn't! You have to think long term and not be too short-sighted.
If it were me then I'd choose the £20 per day option and start off with publicising the business a lot, get editorial in your local newspaper to introduce your treatments/services and if you do a good job then word will soon spread and you will be able to make a good living out of it.
Don't forget you have to take into consideration your overheads, tax, accountants fees (if you use one) etc etc etc

I think that 33% is too much to be honest. From what I've seen on a lot of threads 25% seems much more reasonable, especially as you're supplying your own products. When you've increased your clientèle and your takings have gone up (let's say from £100 per day to £200 per day) would you still be happy paying 33%? I know that I wouldn't! You have to think long term and not be too short-sighted.
If it were me then I'd choose the £20 per day option and start off with publicising the business a lot, get editorial in your local newspaper to introduce your treatments/services and if you do a good job then word will soon spread and you will be able to make a good living out of it.
Don't forget you have to take into consideration your overheads, tax, accountants fees (if you use one) etc etc etc

After you saying this sandi i have managed to get the lady to reduce it to 25% thanks for giving me food for thought xx

I would definitely go for £20 per day because even if you have the odd bad day in the beginning, when you are taking £200 per day, you will not be able to re-negotiate it back down to £20 per day.

Look at it this way... if you pay £40 pw for a year, that is £2,080... for 104 days in the salon. You could easily make £100 a day, okay, some days £50, some days £150 but overall, say £10,400 in the first year.

33% of which would be £3,432. I would really recommend you take a long term view :hug:

Our posts crossed. 25% sounds ok :hug:

Now you have terms you are happy with, starting telling everyone where you are and what you do!

Purchase some business cards and whatever else is on special from Vistaprint and get them "out there".

Be pro-active with the salon owner and have some of her literature in your room. Keep up to date with her special offers and hopefully she will do the same for you. If you are not busy maybe you can offer some assistance in the salon? I'm sure they would appreciate your answering the phone if you are there and taking a booking for them. Little touches will help you fit into the "family" more quickly.

Advertorial (editorial advert) is a fantastic way to get known. What about a complimentary treatment for the local newspaper reporter? I'm sure a picture in the local press with you and the salon owner would be well received.

Good luck. Hope it goes well for you!

Now you have terms you are happy with, starting telling everyone where you are and what you do!

Purchase some business cards and whatever else is on special from Vistaprint and get them "out there".

Be pro-active with the salon owner and have some of her literature in your room. Keep up to date with her special offers and hopefully she will do the same for you. If you are not busy maybe you can offer some assistance in the salon? I'm sure they would appreciate your answering the phone if you are there and taking a booking for them. Little touches will help you fit into the "family" more quickly.

Advertorial (editorial advert) is a fantastic way to get known. What about a complimentary treatment for the local newspaper reporter? I'm sure a picture in the local press with you and the salon owner would be well received.

Good luck. Hope it goes well for you!

Thank you for your advice. Im on vista print now sorting out some 'advertising bits'. Im looking for a poster to get printed for the shop window.

xx

Latest posts

Back