Frustrated with Essie polish application!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francesca0278

Reaction score
Hey,

I only got into nails about a year ago and after reading lots of good things about them I decided to go for Essie polishes. I love the bottles, the colour range and their marketing etc but I am continually disappointed by the way they apply. Does anyone else have this problem?? I don't want to give up on them because I love the brand but I find polishing with them a nightmare. It may be my inexperience or possibly my whole collection has gone off???

Everytime I go to use one I just find it impossible to apply a thin coat and it just ends up looking thick and gloopy, streaky and just awful. I haven't had any complaints to date but as the finished result is so thick, to get good coverage I'm guessing chips off within about a day.

Does anyone have any tips on how best to use Essie polishes or should I just switch brands??
:cry::cry:

Hey,

I only got into nails about a year ago and after reading lots of good things about them I decided to go for Essie polishes. I love the bottles, the colour range and their marketing etc but I am continually disappointed by the way they apply. Does anyone else have this problem?? I don't want to give up on them because I love the brand but I find polishing with them a nightmare. It may be my inexperience or possibly my whole collection has gone off???

Everytime I go to use one I just find it impossible to apply a thin coat and it just ends up looking thick and gloopy, streaky and just awful. I haven't had any complaints to date but as the finished result is so thick, to get good coverage I'm guessing chips off within about a day.

Does anyone have any tips on how best to use Essie polishes or should I just switch brands??

Tbh I am finding the same thing.

They had Essie at the spa I work in when I first started so at the show last year in March I bought a load for when I planned to start working for myself in October. Well to be honest didn't really use them that much and only since amount April have had a fair few clients. I always store them correctly and wipe round the tops when I'm done but have noticed just recently that they are all just a bit dodgy and actually embarrasing to use when with a client. Some have been hardly used either.

I have since bought a few OPI colours which I know last great as I have some from years back and I am good to go with Shellac colours once the lamp arrives.

It is a shame but I won't be buying anymore.

I use essie and love the polishes. The are quite runny and easy to get a drip at the end of the brush, I think you just need to take off a little more of the excess polish than you perhaps would with some other brands to get a thin coat. Stick with them, I'm sure you'll get use to them. They don't tend to go thick half way down the bottle like some others either. Good Luck.

Hey,

I love Essie, but not everyone does, nor do they have to. Choice is one of the things that makes our industry so great.

If you really want to stick with Essie, look at what is happening. Is it every single polish that is thick and gloopy, or just one or two? Some colours in every brand can be difficult, or it may be that some of the colours have gone off. Where did you buy them from? - could it be that they were hanging around a warehouse in hot temperatures? Do you wipe the neck of the bottle and close the lid tight religiously after each use?

If you aren't happy with Essie, and you've really tried with them, why not get one or two bottles from a couple of other brands at your local wholesalers and see how that goes?

Thanks girls, I really love Essie too and don't want to give up on them!!

Now you mention it.....I have a couple of travel-sized bottles which I bought to try and as I have them, added to my collection and offer them to clients to give as wide a selection of colours as possible BUT these colours came to Turkey with me in July. I kept them in the apartment fridge for most of the time but maybe it's that and the plane travel which had made them go a bit funny!

I think I'm going to spend an afternoon getting reaquainted with my polishes, to be honest, I don't use them very much at all as most of my clients have gel/ shellac! Will give any that have really gone bad to my little niece who is obsessed with all things nails :)

We love Essie. yes it is a bit thinner, but i think this is best for salons when constant use and hot air can make it quite thick?

Maybe it is the colours you are using as i find their fluoro colours quite streaky....

I have found Essie a bit thick for my liking to be honest which is why I don't use it. That and I find the brush handles a little small for me.

There are some people though that loveit and dont want to use anything else, so if you enjoy the range it may just be a case of practicing with it a lot to see if you can improve application with practice.

If it doesnt improve or you cant get the hang of it, I would consider a switch, but just by getting a couple of bottles from another brand and see if you find it any better, before making such an expensive decision.

Latest posts

Back