Hair colour advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perfecttennails

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for advice on what to do with my hair (as in what to ask my hairdresser to do).

My natural colour is a mousey ash blonde. I have been dying my hair for years and have always suited darker colours better. It has been red, various shades of brown and black but bear in mind I am a novice so I always put all over instead of just roots, so my ends have some serious build up! Now just before the birth of my daughter I put a burgundy red that had been knocking around my bathroom for yonks on it. When she was about 3-4 months, I wanted to strip the colour out and be a browny colour with blonde highlights (like Rachel in the early Friends days). I had a new mobile hairdresser who came out and tried to strip it but the colour wouldn't lift and she put it down to the colour being ancient so she stuck a semi permanent brown on it and said to carry on just dying the roots with semi permanent until the colour is out!

Since then, in a moment of madness, I stuck a black on (my ends are black anyway as they are so saturated) but again, the pull of having brown with highlights called so I did a couple of strips with colour b4 at home. This has pulled quite a bit out and the hair went a dark coppery red brown colour, I have put a light caramel brown on but my hair just looks rubbish :( I know it's all my own fault but another hairdresser has said she will be able to get the colour out and do what I want for £85? I told her the issues my current hairdresser had and she said there are ways around that? I really want it done but after the problems my old hairdresser had and doing two strips at home, I am worried that it won't work and I don't want to be out of pocket? What is the best next step? xxx

I have attached a picture of my current colour with regrowth to show my natural colour. I am also having a good few inches cut off Wednesday which hopefully will cut out a fair chunk of the saturated ends?? xx
ATTACH]61297[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1396943431.688120.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1396943431.688120.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 205
Your best next step is to book in with the hairdresser.

£85 is nothing for colour correction. You are only making it worse by putting colour on top of colour and even worse by using colour b4.

Book in for a consultation and go through what you have been doing to your hair, they will go through the best solution for you.

Stop using otc products xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Your best next step is to book in with the hairdresser.

£85 is nothing for colour correction. You are only making it worse by putting colour on top of colour and even worse by using colour b4.

Book in for a consultation and go through what you have been doing to your hair, they will go through the best solution for you.

Stop using otc products xx

Hello,

I understand that the price is reasonable but after the previous hairdresser couldn't do anything, I am reluctant to hand out more money for something that didn't work.

It is my current hairdresser that told me to use OTC products to remove colour and to carry on colouring it; hence me asking for advice from other professionals (I didn't make this clear in my previous post) xx

Stop putting drugstore black haircolour on your hair!!!! Black is the absolute most difficult pigment to remove!! Even a very dark brown would be easier then black!! If you want it lightened it's a slow process that could take a few visits to the salon.. And if you insist on using home colour then please only use semis if you must..

Stop putting drugstore black haircolour on your hair!!!! Black is the absolute most difficult pigment to remove!! Even a very dark brown would be easier then black!! If you want it lightened it's a slow process that could take a few visits to the salon.. And if you insist on using home colour then please only use semis if you must..

Sorry, its what my hairdresser has advised me to do as I advised above, which is why I am here for help

What advice exactly are you looking for? I'd go for colour correction for 85, also if your hairdresser is recommending for you to try remove the colour yourself I'd definitely be going to another hairdresser ..

Gruaige_Álainn;2167055 said:
What advice exactly are you looking for? I'd go for colour correction for 85, also if your hairdresser is recommending for you to try remove the colour yourself I'd definitely be going to another hairdresser ..

I was looking for advice as a consumer which is why I am asking for help in this forum. Seems that was a mistake as everyone seems to be taking a pop at me. I don't know what I am talking about as I am not a hairdresser which is why I ask for help! The last one I went to is evidently telling me the wrong things so excuse me for checking forking out £85 isn't a con.
Not very helpful people out today it seems!

You need to seek a reputable salon who will sit down with you and do a thorough consultation and tests.

We are limited to what we can tell you. You aren't a hairdresser so its no use us telling you what your hairdresser may or not do.

I think there haven't been any negative replies. As a consumer what is it that you exactly want to know?

[QUOTE=Nails
I just wanted to know what to do as I had been getting conflicting advice and I don't know what to do next. I felt a bit done over and just wanted some support from hairdressers as to what I should do/where I should go.
I have looked into hairdressers in my local area but how do I know which ones will do a good job/are good salons.
I didn't want to get bashed about what I have done to my hair. Yes dying myself may not be ideal but I am a single mum trying to get by and can't afford big treatments which is why I used a mobile hairdresser who seems to have given crap advice from but feel like I am getting told off? Certainly puts me off sitting down in a salon and getting bashed like this?

So you want to be a light brown with blonde highlights through? I would strip the dark colour out, add lots of fine blonde highlights and put a colour on in between all the foils (it will probably go quite warm after being stripped so will need another colour to even it all out). It might need two goes with the stripper if you have a lot of build up (will cost more money) so if you find a hairdresser that has said they will do that then you are on the right track. How many salons have you gone to? What have they said they would do? X

Seems to me you've had plenty of advice here.... Just not what you want to hear! As has already been said, STOP colouring your hair with OTC hair colour products and seek out a reputable stylist who is good with colour correction.. Or alternatively have it cropped!

I too would worry about using a stylist who has quoted you £85 for a colour correction without taking strand tests, skin testing and doing a full consultation.
Far too cheap for a colour correction

So you want to be a light brown with blonde highlights through? I would strip the dark colour out, add lots of fine blonde highlights and put a colour on in between all the foils (it will probably go quite warm after being stripped so will need another colour to even it all out). It might need two goes with the stripper if you have a lot of build up (will cost more money) so if you find a hairdresser that has said they will do that then you are on the right track. How many salons have you gone to? What have they said they would do? X

Thank you for being helpful, a couple of salons said they couldn't help, a 3rd one said to let it grow out, one recommended having a short cut and strip and then the other quotes £85 so just wanted to check it was the way to go, thanks for being helpful :) xz

Thank you for being helpful, a couple of salons said they couldn't help, a 3rd one said to let it grow out, one recommended having a short cut and strip and then the other quotes £85 so just wanted to check it was the way to go, thanks for being helpful :) xz

They should do test pieces and skin tests aswell. If the test pieces don't come out very good then you may have to leave the colour to fade out for a while and use good products to get your hair healthy for the colour correction. It's tricky taking someone from dark to light and can take many sessions to get the exact shade you want x

The best thing to do is stay away from the box colours! Lol x

Seems to me you've had plenty of advice here.... Just not what you want to hear! As has already been said, STOP colouring your hair with OTC hair colour products and seek out a reputable stylist who is good with colour correction.. Or alternatively have it cropped!

I don't call being moaned at for using OTC products and slated for what hairdresser I have used helpful; maybe we have different understanding of that word?
What is it you think I wanted to hear; helpful advice from professionals? Correct!
Moaning about what I have used in the past because I didn't know any better?
Incorrect!

I am a nail tech and have never lectured clients who have come to me using cheap polish etc! They don't have the training that professionals do, so I explain nicely and offer them advice on what to do next; I wouldn't have any clients otherwise!

For someone with no knowledge; things available from stores that win beauty awards like hair colour seemed like a ok option; I could understand the issue if I purchased from bloomin' eBay!

Seems sometimes on this site, people forget that they were once inexperienced/consumers before they got all "knowledgeable"

The best thing to do is stay away from the box colours! Lol x

Yes I think I have learnt this from the responses I have got; won't ask again! But I thank you for your advice, I only wanted a bit of help as I am not experienced in hair and didn't want to get fleeced!

I too would worry about using a stylist who has quoted you £85 for a colour correction without taking strand tests, skin testing and doing a full consultation.
Far too cheap for a colour correction

Hence my reason for asking on this site from other professionals x

I'm sorry but you asked and you wee told to stop using OTC products... I don't know about anyone else but I'd call that ADVICE!! Seek out a professional who can do colour correction... MORE SOUND ADVICE

As someone else ADVISED you any colourist worth their salt would be doing strand tests etc..

The advice your not getting is to carry on regardless slapping random
Products on your hair...

Call me old fashioned but it seems you don't really want advice you want someone to tell you what needs doing, well their isn't any one solution it's all a see as you go with colour correction.. You are unlikely to achieve your dream colour in one visit with all the dark box colours in it...

I was looking for advice as a consumer which is why I am asking for help in this forum. Seems that was a mistake as everyone seems to be taking a pop at me. I don't know what I am talking about as I am not a hairdresser which is why I ask for help! The last one I went to is evidently telling me the wrong things so excuse me for checking forking out £85 isn't a con.
Not very helpful people out today it seems!

I wasn't trying to take a "pop" at you don't think anyone wanted to come across like this.. I just wanted to know what exactly you wanted to know as you seemed unhappy with previous advice. If you are unhappy with salons you should try a training college either, they are fully supervised and are cheaper than a salon. Also when you go to a salon ask them could they show you a test piece of what they could achieve so you roughly have an idea what your hair will look like after paying for a colour correction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back