Have to say goodbye to my dog

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry you have to say goodbye to your beautiful boy :( Even though he's had such a short life, I'm sure your love for him has made every single minute wonderful.

We lost our gorgeous five year old Bernese Mountain Dog, Lulu, last November. She went off her food, we took her to the vets and she was diagnosed with Histiocytic Sarcoma. It's a terrible cancer and within one month she was gone; but that one month we had to say goodbye was a blessing. Big pedigree dogs are wonderful, lumbering lumps of love, but they are often not the healthiest of dogs :(

I would disagree with putting much faith into the Kennel Club; I've found them a horrible, irresponsible, purely profit orientated organisation. Their AB scheme has lots of holes, the checks aren't stringent. We found an "Accredited Breeder" of Berners on there, that on further research, had recently sold a litter of puppies that had parvovirus. And let us not forget their ridiculous "breed standards" for events such as Crufts; young German Shepherds displaying early signs of hip dysplaysia, the "bulging eyes" trend which has resulted in dogs having brains too big for their skulls. It's horrible.

My advice is to speak to a club associated with the breed; whilst there are still some unscrupulous people involved in them, you'll often find people who are just hugely passionate about the breed and just want them as healthy as possible, and know more about the breeding standards required for this particular breed. Visit group meets and speak to other owners. Let them know about the breeder of your dog and try to spread the word.

A lot of breeds have their own documentation websites where owners fill in family trees of dogs, so you can see the life span of dogs. Look up the mother and father, and grandparents. If the cause of death is all similar, be very cautious. A good mix of different "lines" is great; if there's lots of crossbreeding, genetic problems are much more likely.

This has turned out so long, I'm sorry. It just saddens and angers me at the pain people have to go through, simply because of poor breeding. People should have a good ten years with their beloved four legged friends, not under three, it's heartbreaking.

Much love x

Ask your vet about Atopica. I had terrible trouble for a long time with my Westie who kept biting at his paws. This worked for him. It's for the treatment of the chronic manifestations of atopic dermatitis in dogs. It may well be worth giving it a go. Also if you haven't already, I would advise you to take out pet insurance. Can't bear the thought of your pet scratching and biting herself and really hope you get sorted x

Thank you! Will look into it!
We stop her every single time and when I wake up in morning I can tell she's been scratching under her mouth as its bright red! Her insurance has just run out so will be sorting that soon! X

So sorry to hear this :( we had our bullmastiff Arthur put to sleep a few years ago, it was the hardest thing I've ever done. I lay on the floor with him while the vet injected him and he drifted off to sleep. The vet was very understanding and let me lie there with him sobbing my eyes out for as long as I needed. He also suffered from bad joints, I think alot of larger dogs do unfortunately.

Big hugs and lots of love, it's so hard saying goodbye to a beloved pet xxx

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

My dog is 12 and I dread the day I have to say bye. Hope your ok, very sad the passing of a belived pet especially so young.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

Very sorry I never understood how much love you can feel for an animal until we had our labrador Ruby.It must be heartbreaking to make that decision but its brave,compassionate and selfless.

Sorry to hear this :( we had our dog put down just over a week ago, so quiet without her x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sending my thoughts and white light your way. What a truly heartbreaking thing to have to do. Find peace in the fact that he will be pain free and that you have given him a fabulous 2 and a half years.
Will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I am so devastated for you 😔 truly heartbreaking will be thinking of you tomorrow. 💜 X

I'm really sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is heartbreaking.

Unfortunately, I have heard of a lot of pedigree animals, bith dogs and cats, having health problems and either dying at a young age or having to be put to sleep at a young age. I really hope that you can get in touch with the breeders and get to the bottom this.

Oh god how awful, he's gorgeous!! Im dreading my boys day. He's 10 now and he's a boxer so hopefully a few more years. Iv never had to go through this before & my husband swears he wont get another dog because its so hard letting them go, he had a 9 year old boxer who died 10 years ago!

Latest posts

Back