How do I get my times down?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobbly

Reaction score
Hi Geeks
How do I get my times down when applying enhancements and rebalancing???
The nails I'm producing are fine,all my clients love them,:biggrin: but theyre taking about 2 1/2 hours for a full set and about 1 1/2 hours for a rebalance.
Maybe I just havent got used to letting them talk to the top of my head, and am spending too much time nattering, who knows???:irked:

Hi Tina,

There is only way way to get your times down and that is practice the more experience you have the faster you get, but its not all about speed, most clients would rather it took you a bit longer and they had a great set, as opposed to you rushing and not doing your best job work.

When I worked in a salon they cut our times down to 1 1/4 hours for a full set of clear and 1 hour for white tips and infills, yes we got it done but I don't think that I was doing my best work, which was half the reason I went on my own, Now I book out two hours for each client, Then there is no prob if they are late, and we can have a chat and a coffee while their nails dry.:biggrin:

wobbly said:
Hi Geeks
How do I get my times down when applying enhancements and rebalancing???

Time, practice and patience.
It will happen naturally as you become more experienced. There are certain things you can do to avoid taking longer, like continue working whilst you talk to your client, sculpt with your brush and not your file. Concentrate on doing a good job first rather than a quick one.
We've all been there though, before long you'll look up up the clock after a service and think "Wow! Did them in 1 1/2 hours!" It will happen.

Hi Tina,

Seeing your nails the other week I'd be glad for you to do mine and take three hours - not the hour that nail tech took :irked: !!!!

No seriously, I have worn nails for fifteen years (GOD MY AGE!!!! :wink2: ) and I have always had my best ones done by people who take their time!!! I have felt pampered and been happy with the result and never complained if they lifted or came off.

However, if the tech rushed me I felt somehow 'cheated' and blamed her/him and not myself, for any lifting or probs.

So, in the long run, the tech who takes thier time makes more money than the time motivated one as it is they who get the repeat custom.

Hope to see you soon!!

Have you tried dividing your time into 1/4's. Say your first 1/4 shaping and prep work. Your second tip application. The third applying the product, and finally the fourth, filing and finishing. As you say it takes 2 1/2 hours to do a set that means approx 35 mins each 1/4. If you try to knock say 10 mins off of each section, thats 40 mins per set!. I find it also helps to keep a clock close by that way I know if I'm on time or not.

couldnt agree more! Practice Practice Practice
jac extreme said:
Hi Tina,

There is only way way to get your times down and that is practice the more experience you have the faster you get, but its not all about speed, most clients would rather it took you a bit longer and they had a great set, as opposed to you rushing and not doing your best job work.

When I worked in a salon they cut our times down to 1 1/4 hours for a full set of clear and 1 hour for white tips and infills, yes we got it done but I don't think that I was doing my best work, which was half the reason I went on my own, Now I book out two hours for each client, Then there is no prob if they are late, and we can have a chat and a coffee while their nails dry.:biggrin:

Hi there

Those that do it in an hour, are they doing the manicure bit first, and blending tips as well? Obviously with sculpting it would be quicker, but I wonder if sometimes part of the job is skipped in order to get the time down?

Regards
Deb

Girlfriend I feel your pain it took me three hours plus to do a full set not pink and whites just pink and then airbrush designs after, but I've cut it down to 2 now that I'm working in a salon.

I rent a table and the management are always telling me time is money in london and people want nails done in 45 mins.
I replied that nss nails are done in 45 mins not mine. I still need to cut my times down but I have very satisified customers because of

1) the finished result
2) the fact I can have a conversation with them
3) no pain and no drilling on their nails
4) they do feel pampered after they leave and the smiles I get are worth more than the amount they've paid.

KEEP ON KEEPING ON
GOD BLESS
CHEMINE

jac extreme said:

Yep. Practice and patience is the key.

Have you tried dividing your time into 1/4's. Say your first 1/4 shaping and prep work. Your second tip application. The third applying the product, and finally the fourth, filing and finishing. As you say it takes 2 1/2 hours to do a set that means approx 35 mins each 1/4. If you try to knock say 10 mins off of each section, thats 40 mins per set!. I find it also helps to keep a clock close by that way I know if I'm on time or not.

Brilliant idea - had not thought of doing it this way

Hey
Well done for doing some wonderful nails anyway!
'Time' will tell. As you get more confident, your time to do a set will lesson. I've just managed to take a massive 20 minute off of mine.
I use the strategy mentioned above by one of our fellow geeks - dividing up time. It works wonders. Try it. Goodluck!!!

I used to take ages to size up so I started to look at peoples hands and imagine which tip would fit the best - I think it helped :o

also rethink your product I trained with a l&p that I outgrew pretty quickly and moved onto a speed powder which was much better.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the thread, will take on some of the advice to try and cut down my time too.

redchris001 said:
No seriously, I have worn nails for fifteen years (GOD MY AGE!!!! :wink2: ) and I have always had my best ones done by people who take their time!!! I have felt pampered and been happy with the result and never complained if they lifted or came off.
However, if the tech rushed me I felt somehow 'cheated' and blamed her/him and not myself, for any lifting or probs.
So, in the long run, the tech who takes thier time makes more money than the time motivated one as it is they who get the repeat custom.

I have to agree with the above. I was talking to a client the other day about having to get quicker (4 hours a set and 2 hours infills, so I'd LOVE to be where you are!!), she said that yes, I do take my time but she can see that I'm very thorough and she loves hers nails. She'd rather have me go slow and do nails she loves than be quick and her have crap extensions and ruined nails underneath - and she's talking from previous very bad experience!

I've heard that people use Actone to cut out the blending of the tip and nail so that would cut the time down quite a bit as that's what takes so long.

I found the 1/4 very interesting. I spend a few mintues on each nail blending and then move on and come back to them again to see if they need further blending, otherwise I can get a bit carried away with one nail. As for the application of acrylic I'm still new to it, it's only taking 45mins for each hand to apply, I just need to find out if I'm doing it alright as I'm not sure if the thickness is correct on the finger.

Practise is the key though, but I feel worn out trying to go that fast all the time, I'm glad you have a break in-between to apply to give my poor arm a rest.

kas67 said:

I'll definitely try this once I'm satisfied with my application of a set of pink and whites and can work on speeding up.

Great tip, thanks Kas xxx

Ta Geeks

What A fab idea, breaking it down into 1/4's, I think I'm gonna try this on my next full set.:)
I had a nightmare Friday, when I was doing a rebalance.
I needed to use a new file and cut my lady on 3 fingers, not big cuts but as its the first time I had cut someone, I was mortified!!:Scared:
Now I'm really reluctant to file on my next rebalance client!!
I hope it was just a bad day!!
Thanks for your help:hug:
Tina x

wobbly said:
What A fab idea, breaking it down into 1/4's,

This is a great way to help you break down where you are taking too long. It allows you to really see where you need the practise and/or technique adjustment. ie file prep or application...

The biggest delays are caused when techs get into big conversations and end up chatting, not working.....

wobbly said:
I had a nightmare Friday, when I was doing a rebalance.
I needed to use a new file and cut my lady on 3 fingers, not big cuts but as its the first time I had cut someone, I was mortified!!:Scared:
Now I'm really reluctant to file on my next rebalance client!!

If you are worried about cutting, try taking the edge of the new abrasive by running it over another file....

Other things that steal your time are:

• Not having a method in your work ... ie always doing the same things in a rota. Method is very important.
  • Using too many different tools ... every time you put down a tool and pick up another you loose time.
  • Having eye contact with your client when you speak to her.
  • Not concentrating on your work
Time management is a good idea, but splitting the service into quarters does not do it for me because for one, PREP will always take the most time.

Application should be as perfect as can be so that

Finishing will take the least time.

Cutting corners to save time is not the way. "Short cuts make LONG delays"

Don't forget that each client is different too. If they have good cuticles and the free edge needs little doing to it, this will really cut your time, whereas a cannibalised nail biter will need loads of prep and can add up to 15 mins to your service time to get it right.

Time is such a big issue and it's so easy to say don't worry about it when it's not a problem anymore! But ..... it is quality not quantity that we are about, otherwise we'd be like the NSS and whacking those sets out in 45 mins.

I do a salon set in 90 mins - first hour is consultation, prep and tip application, last 30 mins is gel application, buff to finish, apply sealant layer, give after care, accept payment and rebook. It can be quicker than this, but it can take longer too.

Things that slow you down too:

tip application - I can now 95% of the time tell a tip size by looking at the nail, rather than having to try various different sizes which takes time, but it is better to take time and get it right rather than whack them on and then be stuffed with their free edge growing out the sides when they come back for infills. Also really preblend your tips so that when they are on the nail there is very little left to do - and negates the need for acetone.

Gel/ l&p application - boy did I used to play with my product when I first started!!! I would apply and fiddle and look and double look and fiddle a bit more before moving onto the next nail...... And then on a training course I was made to apply without fiddling about with the gel, to stop me doing it my trainer told me to put the uv lamp on (on a 2 minute timer) and to apply the gel and see how far I could get by the time the lamp goes out - but NOT sacrificing quality of application in the meantime. I can sometimes beat the lamp by applying all 5 nails with gel!!! But this all came after doing nails for 4 years, and still faffing about so I needed someone to really make me focus on what I was doing. I think this was the area where I was really able to pick up speed.

TALK TO THE HAND! - whilst working talk to the clients hand. Look up occasionally so as not to appear rude though! To show you how much I do this I had a lady come up to me in the High Street and said Hello Sarah how are you, I really didn't have a clue who this person was, turns out I had done a full set on her THE DAY BEFORE!! I said that if I'd seen her hands I'd have know who she was!

Finally, don't get hooked up on timing. As long as your client knows how long you are going to be then there is not a prob for you. You will just find that as you get busier you will be turning clients away becuase you take so long, but conversely your speed will also improve as you get busier because like all things - Practice makes perfect.

Latest posts

Back