How long did it take to become successfull ??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jolicatellas

Reaction score
Hello fellow peeps, nails, hair, beauty...

I am wondering how long it took you to become successful and how you define success? Months? Weeks? Years?
I also wonder if 'salon owners' vs 'work from home' have a higher success rate?
And how/when do you know if you're failing??

I have worked from home part time since 2005. Part time due to: having moments where I have numerous clients and moments where I have no clients at all. I love what I do (nails & skin care) & have days where I am :green:really happy:green: doing what I do and other days when I think I should call it a day.

I am really interested in hearing about other people's histories and success stories (or lack thereof) or areas where you are succeeding and other areas where you're not...

I haven't got a success story yet! I started in the beauty industry in December 2007 this was with tanning and at the time i was majorly busy! It then started to die down after a few months as i didn't do too much advertising. I then trained in manicure and pedicure and lash and brow tinting but then after these courses i stopped working for myself and stopped working in the beauty industry until February 2009 i started back up again done my gel nails course, make up and due to do waxing as well soon! I haven't been doing too much advertising recently as i haven't got my leaflets ready until i have completed my waxing course.

I see success happening over the year as each month you earn more and more and gain more clients as the month goes on. And at the end of the first working year i don't think you could tell that much (obviously if you are earning more than what your outputs are that's good) but when it gets to your second year and you see you have more clients and your wage is higher than previous year, that's when your succeeding at what you do!

hths x

Its a difficult one to answer. I've been in the business for 25 years now, and have owned salons for 10 years. I would say that the average stylist or therapist sees the fruit of their hard work after about 10 years. that seems to be the point at which nothing surprises or throws them, they have built followings and can relax and enjoy the job.
Experience has taught me that there are no shortcuts or quick routes to that time in your career.
Salon ownership does bring the highest rewards however one in three salons goes bust in it's first year. It's a high risk business to start up and i would recommend anyone contemplating it to have at least 2 years salary saved up to see them through.
Everyone has bad days and it can be tough to stay positive. I know lots of people on here are busy and doing well, Any honest salon owner will tell you that spending on hair and beauty has slowed down and in truth, It's tough out there.
I'm sure things will improve for you. Chin up x

That would depend on your personal definition of successfull, and your own personal goals.

At present, I feel that I am successfull, for I succeeded in building a business that gives me a salary. I am successfull because I offer better services than found locally. I'm successfull because I have learned 3 different nail systems. I am succesfull because I "May" have an opportunity to affect the industry in a positive fashion.

most importantly: I'M SUCCESSFULL BECAUSE I HAVE A CAREER THAT I LOVE.

I'm not rich. I don't make 100$ a set. But I now have my own car, and a few other luxuries that I didn't have before. So, in 4yrs.. yes, I feel that I've made a success of myself.

hth's
:hug:

Everyone's perception of success is probably very different. I measure success in the happiness I get from what I do. I love doing nails and giving my clients the best nails they've had. I worked from home when I first started out and that was a very successfull entry into the nail world and met my needs until my client base grew beyond what I could accommodate from my wee spare room.

I have since rented space in various salons and also worked at Harrods in London for a short period. I considered all the situations were successful as I had a thriving client base.

If I were to measure success on a financial scale, I try to exceed the salary I enjoyed working as a PA in the City of London. Fortunately, even when I have struggled for a full client base, I have been happy with the financial rewards. Although a lot harder work, it is more enjoyable and I don't clock watch like I did in the office.

I have relocated just over a year ago and to my dismay nails isn't as popular as it was in London or Essex where I was previously based. My clients return for maintenance more often than not every 6-7 weeks. Painful yes and I have been told to put my foot down but I'm afraid if I did, I would lose the clients. I do 2 or 3 days at a salon where I rent space whilst doing Beauty Therapy Level 2 at college. It is a slog and I could see it far enough but hopefully I will reap the rewards soon.

It has been suggested by some friends and family that I go back to office work as it would be less of a struggle. However, even doing just 2/3 full days, I can earn what I would in an office in the Midlands.:rolleyes:

My ultimate success would be to do a 3 or 4 day week with a full client base on those days. I would be happy with that and happiness is success to me.:)

Oh and win a nail competition! Fed up being bridesmaid lol!:lol:

Hello fellow peeps, nails, hair, beauty...

I am wondering how long it took you to become successful and how you define success? Months? Weeks? Years?
I also wonder if 'salon owners' vs 'work from home' have a higher success rate?
And how/when do you know if you're failing??

I have worked from home part time since 2005. Part time due to: having moments where I have numerous clients and moments where I have no clients at all. I love what I do (nails & skin care) & have days where I am :green:really happy:green: doing what I do and other days when I think I should call it a day.

I am really interested in hearing about other people's histories and success stories (or lack thereof) or areas where you are succeeding and other areas where you're not...

Still beavering away hard at it and waiting for that day :rolleyes:

I have been in business for myself since 2007, and it hasn't been easy by any means, trying to juggle personal life (what personal life:)) with family and finding the time and energy to be creative in business, come up with great ideas and keep the clients I have happy as well as dealing with the bad apples, and those that think I am Harry potter and can wave my magic wand and change them into somebody else.(deep breath)
But it has been good and I am enjoying it, recently I have had to take a part time job to progress in my own business, and you can imagine how hard that job was to find, having to tell your future employer that you have been self employed for two years ( I am not good at lying) most don't want to know you. Anyway I got a job I enjoy and I hope things will really pick up for me in the next couple of years, I will put all I have into it and see.

cant retire just yet, but after 19 years in catering, i am at last doing what ive always wanted to do, i feel very happy ,that to me is success,hx

I agree with Christine, everyones perception of sucess is different. I have built up my business VERY slowly as like most people I was working on my beauty buisness whilst still in employment elsewhere. I built up my business around my two young girls and although I don't earn a fortune, regard myself as sucessful as I earn a monthly wage which is steadily increasing, I no longer work for anyone else and I am still constantly learning but confident I am offering tailored treatments as well as good advice.
Jacqui

I totally agree that everybody's idea of success is different. I only work part time, mobile as I have two young kids.
But I think i am successfull, I have managed to fill the time I can work, I earn enough to contribute to the bills. But as said before, the fact that I have spent a a few years on and off building this round the kids, and kept plugging away with different advertising to find which works best and have now got to where I want to be I think this is success for me. The fact that I love my job is the only reason this has happened.:):)

I feel successful when my clients compliment me on a good job done, and (cheekily) when they tell me i'm better than someone else, lol.

When i can compare this month to the same month last year and have made more money.

I feel i am a success because i'm happy.

However, i still have a very long way to go and so many other things i want to achieve so sometimes i get frustrated too and need to kick myself into gear a bit more.

Success is whatever you are aiming for. Good luck x

I think alot of geeks would call me successful and also my peers as like Christine I have done some fabulous things and worked with some great people, but personally I dont. I feel I have achieved so much but there is still away to go. This year despite R******** I will continue to grow the salon and teaching hours so I can slow down and spend more time at home so maybe I can start a family. When I achive this I will look back and appreciate the 8yrs of hard work I have put in.

This year despite R******** I will continue to grow the salon and teaching hours so I can slow down and spend more time at home so maybe I can start a family.

R******** ??
I never thought of the 'start a family' side of things. My end; I'm always trying to work around my already existing family (which is hard work).

It's great getting feedback from many people in different situations, from newbies in the business to those who have worked many years. Its inspiring b/c we can see the progression, goals, inspiration, as well as enthusiasm.

Success for me is high standard work & people 'wanting' to come to be to proved it... I've a way to go :)

Three years employed in a salon and three years self employed mobile and I can finally call myself a success. It's hard to look at yourself and appreciate what you have achieved running your own business. I reluctantly call myself successful as I always want to do better and I'm not exactly running a multimillion pound empire, but to build something from nothing and be in demand is nice! I would like more money but even the richest people do hence their drive to keep working, at least we can have fun making it!:lol: It's definitely important to balance success at work with success at home. If you haven't got people to share it with it means nothing.

recession :lol:
For me I feel over the years that I've never had time to sit and relax, I've worked nearly every saturday for years to the point I dont know what I'd do if I was off, on fridays I collapse in a chair and watch mindless tv I havent the energy to go to the pub or meet people. My day off is Monday so all my friends are at work so yes I'd like to see me winding down and perhaps being abit more........ surburban

Come on now... let's face it, we all start with the hope of making some money and creating financial freedom! I'm sure that if you were generating over £3k a month as base you would not be asking this question...?

So the answer to 'what is success in your business/working career' has surely got to be making the money of your hopes and dreams! Right?

I think that if you are driven and ambitious... and of course an excellent tech or therapist, with some strategic planning, you could build yourself the type of career that creates real financial freedom... and definitely within 5 years!

Training, Marketing, Retailing and Cost Control are key to success!

Just think Marcia Kilgore, founder of Bliss spa's and beauty products started giving facials in her living room... "so I began giving people facials at my apartment, and they just wouldn't go home," says Kilgore. She is now a multimillionaire. Try Googling her!

Anyway, I think the saying goes - if you continue to do the things you have always done, you will continue to get the results you have always gotten. If you are looking for change, for better, for more, then you will need to seek and educate yourself on new methods to take your business forward.

I will be talking on live online radio this Friday 4pm; if you have time why not listen in. Miss Salon Radio

I hope this has helped...:)

"...be successful"
Ego Iwegbu-Daley
Miss Salon - Salon Business Consultants & Mentors

I agree in part to what Miss Salon is saying,

...I think the saying goes - if you continue to do the things you have always done, you will continue to get the results you have always gotten. If you are looking for change, for better, for more, then you will need to seek and educate yourself on new methods to take your business forward.

This is very true!

However, I think every bodies idea of success is different & unique to their circumstances. Personally I am not in it for the money. If I was, I'd have changed what I was doing long ago to get different results. I'm in it for the notoriety. To me a handful of regulars who just have to come to me b/c I am fantastic at what I do... is my idea of success. Becoming great at what I do is my idea of success.

My biggest concern is that it is taking me longer to become great at what I do than I thought it would. I thought I'd come out of training, do a few nails and be brilliant... and it didn't work that way. Nearly four years later, I still have times when a client leaves and I am not 100% happy with the job I did - & that drives me MAD!!!
Thus, I wondered how long it took others to become good/great/brilliant at what they do & have they reached 'their' idea of success??

I don't know what it's like working as a mobile... Do you think that it might take longer to become a highly-skilled technician when working on your own; not having others to work along side with?

I remember during my Nail Haven days many girls excelling and learning great techniques just by being able to work closely with other more experienced girls who did excellent work. They would go from good to excellent within a few months!

That, I think, is probably one of the main advantages of working in a salon when still in the training/early years of the profession. What do you think?

However, I'm sure you are great at what you do... :)

Thank you Miss Salon, that is very nice of you to say :green:

Without a doubt I agree that working from home has had it's disadvantages when it comes to training, learning and developing skills. I wonder if it is the same for others who work on their own from the beginning? Or how much the extent and quality of training undertaken comes into play as well.

Working in a salon under a mentor would have been great for honing in my skills - and going from good to excellent within a few months, as you say. :)

in answer to your original question:

how long is a piece of string?

I've been doing this 15 years and still waiting to deem myself successful.

Latest posts

Back