How long to accept liability?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bexnorm

Reaction score
So I'm trying to write up my aftercare cards and wondered how many days you say you'll accept liability for any chipping/lifting of nails? (I do gel polish on natural nails only) I'm thinking maybe 2 days but not sure what the norm would be? Thanks!

So, if I used my nail as a mini screwdriver later the next day and it chipped, you'd be perfectly happy to re-do it for free? And after the following appointment, the client has been using household bleach without wearing gloves and the Gel has wrinkled on one hand.
Happy to repair them again for free?
The following appointment the client has box dyed her hair and the colour has stained the gel on both hands. Another free repair please.

No? I didn't think so.

My advice - Don't put anything in writing unless you want to be bound by it.

Much better to consider each client's circumstances individually. If you choose to repair for free, make it clear that it's a one off at your discretion and that the client should normally expect to pay for repairs as a matter of course.

I usually do a first repair for free as the client is impressed and after that they are at my discretion.
I only mention repairs on my price list....

So how do you know if it's their fault or your fault? I'm just starting out so don't want any bad reviews but already had a couple of people say their nails have chipped after a couple of days. But when I ask how they chipped they're not very descriptive as to how. They've just speculated. One was honest and said it must be the way she treated them as she doesn't tend to get gel polish and it was a favour for me to practice on, but the other tends to get gel polish done regularly so knows the aftercare.

It's unusual for them to chip straight away so I'd get them in for a repair and have a look to see if there's any damage

This is a good question and I have fallen into trouble with this and not so much with gels but acrylics.

I would also be interested in peoples thoughts on this.

AcidPerm has a very valid point and i feel this is the trap i have got into with one client x

So I'm trying to write up my aftercare cards and wondered how many days you say you'll accept liability for any chipping/lifting of nails? (I do gel polish on natural nails only) I'm thinking maybe 2 days but not sure what the norm would be? Thanks!
I don't. They could walk out my door and break one immediately getting in their car. My fault? Should I repair for free? No way! Lol
If someone comes back for a repair I quote them the price. Then once they're with me and I can see the nail and start a conversation about what they were doing when it chipped/broke then pretty quickly I can decide why it happened. 9 times out of 10 it's client fault. On the rare occasion when it may be my fault then they get a pleasant surprise of my repairing for free. Doesn't happen often though :D

It's unusual for them to chip straight away so I'd get them in for a repair and have a look to see if there's any damage
One was my aunt and she said she chipped one nail within 24 hours of me doing it. I've written up my aftercare cards and made sure it says on there about repairs being charged. But should I add a charge to my price list or just leave it off for now and only quite a price based on the nails and amount of damage? If someone has chipped a nail I've been asking for a pic first as well.

Latest posts

Back