How to refill without leaving lines

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel Mary

Reaction score
Hi Everyone out there!! This is my first thread that I have left and I am hoping you kind experienced nail techs out there can help a new one!! I did my course a year ago here in Adelaide and I do a really good set of nails, but when it comes to doing refills (we were only shown once at my course) I can still see lines at the end of the finished product. I must not be filing them down enough but when I try to take them further I can see marks on the natural nail plate, so I stop to not leave damage. I use NSI Lineout to help but I am a real perfectionist and I want to do them really well. Please advice on how to perfect it would be really appreciated!!!!
Have an excellent day
:Love:

sounds like you are not filing all the lifting off when you infill. you must make sure that all the old product is still stuck down firmly as it will show through as a line in the pink, any lifting has to be removed and you have to file behind the lifting. (so the product side of the lifting, rather than the natural nail side if that makes sense), so that you don't just keep pushing the lifted bit back. if you file in front of it (on the undamaged product), as you near the natural nail plate, the lifted bit should just fall off. also if you file in front of it, you may be catching the natural nail plate with your file, hence the marks. I'm not sure i'm explaining this very well but i'm sure there must be a tutorial on here.

Hi
Thanks for the answer, yes you made sense!!!. I thought maybe I was not filing it down flush enough to the nail plate. I really am struggling with them. Any other tips out there for a newbie such as myself.

Rachel Mary said:
I use NSI Lineout to help but I am a real perfectionist and I want to do them really well. Please advice on how to perfect it would be really appreciated!!!!
Have an excellent day
:Love:

I was told that you should not use any form of line out or line eliminator as these products contain acetone and can cause more problems than they cure, maybe that is adding to your problem not fixing it???

hi how do I post a new thread on this site please

Davinia said:
hi how do I post a new thread on this site please

Go to ''forums'' at the top of the page, then click on whichever forum you want to put a thread on and at the top of that forum page there should be a button called ''new thread'':biggrin: :biggrin:

Yes, I have read a few threads saying this, that in the long run it causes more problems. I would really appreciate someone giving tips on the filing technique to blend the acrylic perfectly with the nail plate. I really find myself feeling the most nervous doing refills. I wish they had spent more time teaching this procedure!!!!

don't forget to file "behind the line" of lifting, otherwise you'll just be chasing the line up the nail.

Hi Toni Talons
What do you mean behind the line of lifting?

Rachel Mary said:
Hi Toni Talons

This means filing on the main body of the product, the bit that is firmly adhered to the nail plate NOT actually on the line where the lifting is showing. When the main product is filed down enough this lifted part just flakes away.
Where did you do your training and who's product are you using....do you not have anyone that either trained you or supplies the product that can actually show you or go to a class for rebalancing skills training?

Thanks Maryln your as star

Thanks Cathie
Now I understand. I have always filed right on the line trying to make it disapear. I am going to try that method and after reading that thread you recommended it really made sense, thanks so much. Cant wait for my next refills and get to work and hopefully get a perfect result. Thanks to all who answere my post. I appreciate it;
xxxxxxx:Love: :Love: :Love: :Love: :Love: :Love:

Rachel Mary said:
Hi Toni Talons

well, how can i explain this?:eek: ...

say your doing a simple infill (pink only) and the product has grown say 3 mm from the cuticle area. but you have slight lifting at the back.

example (imagine this as a picture of a fingertip)

cuticle area/natural nail @ | * pink white (tip)

(imagine the line "|" is the lifted bit of pink product)

if you place your file on the "cuticle" side of the lifting ("@") or on top of the lifting then what you will do is, as your trying to file the lifting off, you will just push the line back further and further towards the tip:right: , and it will seem like you can't file the lifting off and in effect you'll be "chasing the line".

However, if you file just behind the line on the "pink" side (*) of the lifting (the part where the product is still good) what will happen is as you file down and you near the natural nail plate, the lifted part will just fall off (as its not stuck down anyway and you will break the bond between the good and bad product), then the pink product that was in good nick will still be stuck down and it good nick still. then you just add a new bead at the back and hey presto no line.

i have to say the file control is easier said that done, but worth trying.
if you don't understand this dodgy reply, pm me your number and i'll try and explain over the phone.

mental note to myself "get your ass in gear and become a premium geek so i can post a picture"

Can anyone else explain this better? help

Thanks you explained it really well and I get it now, and for the last year I have been chasing a line like a dog chases his tail and then relying on the NSI line out to save me which i have never been happy with the end result. I am so glad I asked because I really feel I have a better understanding of what I have been doing wrong and of how to correct it. Thank you for saving me from going insane!!!!

Rachel Mary said:
Thanks you explained it really well and I get it now, and for the last year I have been chasing a line like a dog chases his tail and then relying on the NSI line out to save me which i have never been happy with the end result. I am so glad I asked because I really feel I have a better understanding of what I have been doing wrong and of how to correct it. Thank you for saving me from going insane!!!!

That's cool, i spent so long making up my answer it seemed you got wot you wanted from other geeks LOL.

Latest posts

Back