Invest in traditional varnish or straight to gel varnish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unevenlemming

Reaction score
I currently have a mobile holistics business that I am expanding into beauty, I am looking into investing with my mani/pedicure company and was wondering if people are increasing using gel varnish instead of traditional varnish?

My thinking is if more people are using gel than I would invest more in that rather than invest twice having both versions. Any recommendations for vegan based would be welcome too.

My opinion straight to gel

I'm holistic business who also does nails. I offer both polish and Shellac. To be honest, I'd say I do 50/50 of each. This time of year I do far more polish pedicures than any other nail treatment. I also have a lot of older clients and pregnant clients who don't want gel.

I guess it depends on your clientele and the treatments that you want to offer. People tend to find manicures and pedicures more relaxing than gel nails, so maybe that's why it works so well with my business?

I don't use regular polish at all.

I very rarely use traditional polish, I'd go straight for gel, perhaps have a few of the most popular colours in varnish, red, pale pink etc if you want to cover bases, I buy the mini opi ones now so they don't get wasted x

I'm phasing traditional polish out, it's simply not worth keeping a range in as it doesn't last forever and so few people choose it, plus then they sit around and wait for 15 mins before they leave which in a home salon situation can be less than ideal
I now charge the same for polish as I do for shellac over acrylics and guess which they opt for [emoji4]
If I was starting again now there's no way I'd invest in polish.
When I've totally got rid of my polish, if someone really wants it then they can always ring their own but it will still cost them the same as shellac so I doubt this will happen too much.

I have used polish twice in the 2 years I've been working.

I use a fair amount of polish. Morgan Taylor is the best on the market in my opinion, especially the base and top coat. I use it mainly for toes. Great shine and lasts 3-5 weeks

I would say I use 50/50 shellac and Vinylux. I wouldn't get rid of either as both a very popular. My clientele is pretty much age 30+

I use more polish than gel but that's down to the client not being able to wear anything at work, so polish is easier to remove. All depends on you clients :)

I'd say I do 75% gel. I think it's worth having a small range of normal polish as some customers do like and even more like it on their toes.
Just the most popular colours- colours for French, red, a dark, a bright pink, a pale pink and a a nude should be fine.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I think my gut instict was right and go down the gel varnish route but keep in mind to have the matching varnish for those who want it (but keep it limited colours).

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I think my gut instict was right and go down the gel varnish route but keep in mind to have the matching varnish for those who want it (but keep it limited colours).

This is exactly what I do, the only vinylux I have are those that match my Shellac colours for people who want matching on their toes. Not for every shellac colour, just the popular ones. And I also have creative play polishes that I use for stamping

I stopped offering nail polish, I didn't get used and the Vinylux I stocked (I had loads!) was going hard in the bottles, even ones that hadn't been used.

Latest posts

Back