Is this common knowledge?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moobar

Reaction score
Just wanted to gauge how many ppl know this. I assumed everyone did but in one of the college's today I was shocked that their colour tech didn't, maybe she was having a off day....?

ok so here goes I hope I explain it well lol

if you are wanting to get colour 5vr but it's not available and you don't have one level over or under (6 or 4) I would use 1 part 3vr and 2 parts 6vr, so 15/3 gives level 5 (2x6=12, 1x3=3, 12+3=15, 15 divided by 3 parts used = 5)

I was really shocked that this woman didn't have a clue what I was talking about.....

Well ratios are taught in nvq but I also assumed common sense would kick in!

Just wanted to gauge how many ppl know this. I assumed everyone did but in one of the college's today I was shocked that their colour tech didn't, maybe she was having a off day....?

if you are wanting to get colour 5vr but it's not available and you don't have one level over or under (6 or 4) I would use 1 part 3vr and 2 parts 6vr, so 15/3 gives level 5 (2x6=12, 1x3=3, 12+3=15, 15 divided by 3 parts used = 5)

I was really shocked that this woman didn't have a clue what I was talking about.....

Well I do that if I've ran out but I didn't know your maths equation :) still trying to work it out :s

Well I do that if I've ran out but I didn't know your maths equation :) still trying to work it out :s

Wait.....I get it now!! Lol sorry I'm slow tonight

lol Pleased you've caught up Blue :)

I totally get what you're saying but that has absolutely lost me. Maths was never my strong point. Is there anyway you can explain that? Sorry to be a pain in the bot bot.

OH MY GOD I just got it. sorry!

I've always been good at maths but that took me a while lol

Do you basically mean that, as there are 3 levels difference between 3 and 6, that to balance them out to make a 5, u would only use 1 part of 3 as it's 2 shade darker at 2 parts 6 as its only 1 shade different.

Example - to make a 6 from a 4 and a 9 - 3 parts 4 2 parts 9?

Or am i not understanding what you're trying to explain? :D

Maths was always my strongest suit....hell id admit it im a nerd! hehe!

So to determine your final level in simple terms,

If you mix several colours,ADD the level numbers together then DIVIDE by the number of parts used.

Ie one part level 7, two parts level 10. === 7+10+10 =27 then
DIVIDE by 3(total of three parts used) 27/3=9
FINAL level is 9

hths xoxo

Thats really good info to know thankyou :) xxx

Sent from my E15i using SalonGeek

I've not heard of this but it's very interesting. So if the maths is right we could do this with any level colour, just about?

Perry you didn't get it mate.... take another look. :)

Yes Wonderwoman thats correct 10/10 :) and yes you can do it with any level so it's a good way of using colours that you have in stock that you wouldn't norm use.

I think I was just more shocked that the colour tech in the college I was in yesterday didn't know this.....

I must admit though I wasn't taught this in college I was taught this by a colour educator when I left. But this would have been good to know when I was training as they never have all the colours available and also it gets you used to mixing and experimenting and using your brain lol

That's brill i didn't know this either!

Do you always have to mix 2-1? Or for example say

1part 2 + 1part 10 = 12
12 divided 2 = 6

Great stuff. Thankyou! Love having to use my brain!

No Lou you don't always mix 2-1, it depends on what level you are trying to reach.

Ah, great! Well I've got some old extension hair there so I'm going to have a little play around with a few equations & see what results I get!
Thanks for the tip! :)

Perry you didn't get it mate.... take another look. :)

Yes Wonderwoman thats correct 10/10 :) and yes you can do it with any level so it's a good way of using colours that you have in stock that you wouldn't norm use.

I think I was just more shocked that the colour tech in the college I was in yesterday didn't know this.....

Which bit didnt i get? Using wonderwomans method of calculation, mine was right? :/

4+4+4+9+9=30. 30/5=6

Perry it wasn't a level 6 it was lvl 5 (end result) if you back to original post...

lol sorry perry just re read your post :( I thought you were doing math for my lvl 5 ooooooopppppsssss xx

i think i get it ... my brain is frazzeled atm though

so 2 parts 10 and 1 part 7 would be 27/3=9

and

1 part 4 and 1 part 8 would be 12/2 = 6

i never knew that

Latest posts

Back