Is this common knowledge?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes thats right zebra

so could you the same with say

2 parts 4.45 and 1 part 7.45

4+4+7=15 15/3 =5

so 5.45

but would 2 parts 7.45 and 1 part 4.45 be
7+7+4 = 18 18/3=6
so 6.45

my boss will be impressed . ill be able to use up colours we dont normall use

yes you have got it :) This is the point, using up colour that is norm left on the shelf.

hello
I have a different way of doing this
I use wella so
to get target shade take any number from 10 to 1 and add together then half it so
you need 7 for example then
take any shades that can add to 14 and then half it
9/0 + 5/0 = 14 half = 7/0
8/0 + 6/0 = 14 half = 7/0
10/ + 4/0 = 14 half = 7/0
:lol:

I have always done this! I assumed it was common knowledge but obviously not lol it's a great way of using up 1/4 tubes and stops wastage

Blonderela, I've not seen it done your way before ? lol so can you do this for any level to? say 6+4=10 so half is lvl5. so 7+1=8 and half is lvl4. But does this only work on 1:1?

Hiya
yes it only works on one to one ratio
but as you said to make 4/0
and you have 7/0 + 1/0 =8/0
its 1/2 of each to make 4/0
sounds scary but it works:eek: :lol:

actually just realised this would work on other ratios but my brain would explode haha :Scared: so stick to half and half.

hello
I have a different way of doing this
I use wella so
to get target shade take any number from 10 to 1 and add together then half it so
you need 7 for example then
take any shades that can add to 14 and then half it
9/0 + 5/0 = 14 half = 7/0
8/0 + 6/0 = 14 half = 7/0
10/ + 4/0 = 14 half = 7/0
:lol:

This is what I do. Although I tend to use slightly less of the darker colour if it's level 4 or darker, just as I find it darkens it down too much :biggrin:

pleased I started this thread now :) anyone else do it dif from whats been mentioned....

This is what I do. Although I tend to use slightly less of the darker colour if it's level 4 or darker, just as I find it darkens it down too much :biggrin:

I second that! Because the darker colour will always overpower I find.

so instead of half and half would you use say quarter if it was a darker colour?

Id say more like 40:60 (or whatever that is simplified) if that makes sense so eg. 40ml 3whatever + 60ml 5whatever for a 4whatever. I dont know if that makes sense cause im crap at explaining. Do you guys use scales to mix, I find it helps so much.

I do this all of the time ...

It means that I don't have to carry a massive amount of stock and the stock that I do carry is always fresh.
I use a lot of Affinage and they sell the tones seperately. So with basic colours and the tones you can 'make' anything on the shade chart ... and more :)

Works for me:)

Perry you didn't get it mate.... take another look. :)

Yes Wonderwoman thats correct 10/10 :) and yes you can do it with any level so it's a good way of using colours that you have in stock that you wouldn't norm use.

I think I was just more shocked that the colour tech in the college I was in yesterday didn't know this.....

I have been explaining it to a trainee today about the 'make 10 and half to get a lvl5' so found it easier to do it this way as she doesn't get the 'divide by parts used' way yet :)

i already did the 1/2 and 1/2 ratios ie 7.3 and 5.3 to get 6.3

told everyone at work the other ratios though . very impressed

whilst we are on the subject

what if you were to do 6 6 9.3 would that be 7.3 ? or does it not work with seperate base/tone

also could you use 5.44 +5.41. to get 5.4 as the ..4 and ..1 would cancel each other out?

9.04 and 7.1 to get 8.14 or am i over thinking all this

see what youve started lol

what if you were to do 6 6 9.3 would that be 7.3 ? or does it not work with seperate base/tone
Say you wanted 7.3 and you had a 6, and a 9.3, I would do 2 parts 6, 1 part 9.3, and then add gold mixtone. As the 2 parts natural would dilute the gold, so if you didn't you'd end up with a 7.003
also could you use 5.44 +5.41. to get 5.4 as the ..4 and ..1 would cancel each other out?
If you mixed a 5/44 and 5/41 you'd get a 5/441 if that makes sense,

9.04 and 7.1 to get 8.14 or am i over thinking all this
This would give you a 8/014, or maybe a 8/104 lol
see what youve started lol

And say you want a 6/07 and you only have a 6/77 and 6/0, I'd mix 1/2 ans 1/2 :)

Last edited:
im confused even more now lol

i get the bit about 2 part base diluting the gold

i thought if i did 5.44 and 5,41 the second lot of copper and blue ash would neautrilise each other ? (loreal) red / green gold/mauve blue/copper

so 8.31 and 8.34 would b 8.3 or doesnt it not work like that then and would it be 8.314?

if my brains working correctly then yes mixing 8.31 and 8.34 you'd be left with 8.3 because as you say zebra, they would cancel each other out

I just got it.

Latest posts

Back