major lifting problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheeky kim

Reaction score
Hi
Im quite new to this site and i really need some advice...

Ive been doing nails for over a year or so. I absolutely love doing nails but i find with ALL my acrylic sets they lift. Ive tried keeping it away from the cuticles, but the lady that taught me used to get it right next to the cuticles and her clients nails always came back perfect.
Ive learnt how to use the electric file also just to thin the nails down and to "seal" it in. i was told that if i learnt to use the electric file i would get rid of my lifting problems.
I must admit they dont lift AS much but i still get a couple of clients that i find theirs lift really badly. Im at the point of giving up because this problem is doing my head in.
I use mainly NSI products with gel as well as acrylic.I find this system best for me as ive tried a few.
Im also quite young and i find that clients wont trust me because of this factor and i really need to over come my problem so i can do reasonably well.
:confused:

PLEASE PLEASE give me some advice to get rid of my lifting problems

kim xXx

Seems as if you are being told some things opposite to what the majority of us do hun.

What do you mean when you say using an e-file to "seal them in"?

I have never heard of being recommended to use to e-file to prevent lifting, tho I understand that Non-Standard Salons use this method as they use products that contain MMA and they have to file the nail plate to give it someting to grip to.. Yet this obviously weakens the natural nail.

Other geeks will tell you loads of things to prevent lifting, but the number one thing they will say is Prep.. Prep.. PREP!

How are you prepping your nails?

Maybe take us thru' a step by step of you doing a nail, some more experienced geeks might be able to give you more pointers.

My advice is relating to L&P and not gel, but also method of application and pushing the product down on the to plate firmly are factors to help the product adhere better, plus mix ratio too.. If I work too wet with my product it can seep, touch the cuticles and side walls and lift...

It's all down to pratice and doing the best you can with the best advice you can get.

I still get occassional lifting, but it's getting LOADS better.

Good luck.

Not that I'm any expert but I use Creatives Cuticle Eraser - leave this on for about five minutes - remove with soapy water on a nail pad then use a chisel to remove all non living tissue from the nail plate. You'll be really amazed at how much comes off.

I've always had a problem with lifting and my Creative Tutor (Fiona) recommended I do it this way so I can see what I'm doing better.

The e-file thing - I think is scary and I've never been involved in them.

This site has plenty of advice on this subject.:cool: Mr Geek has done a tutorial on prep which makes soooo much sense. (dont know how to put a link in) Also do a search on lifting - loads of people suffer this curse when starting out. The other bit of advice i would offer is to press the acrylic in well this really helped me out. Chin up you will work through this.:)

Julie

is it your prep that's causing the problem? have a look at the tutorials and see if it helps :)

right ok
  1. first i buff the nail over to get rid of any of the oil and buff in the lines of the grown nail extension,
  2. then ill put some primer on the nail plate,
  3. once i have done both hands i will get my L&P,
  4. i put my L&P on all the nails making sure its the right thickness on all the nail and trying to get the acrylic as close as possible to the cuticle,
  5. once all nails have been done i will file done the sides of each nail, shaping as well,
  6. after using the hand file on the sides i use the electric file on the top to smooth over the nail and to get the perfect thickness,
  7. after one hand i will buff over to get a shine and put cuticle oil over each nail,
  8. then do the other hand.
is there anything that anyone thinks i am doing wrong. this is how ive been taught to do all my sets.

HELP!!!

kim xXx

Where did you say you learned how to do nails hun

From what your saying there is no prep at all only buffing the nail to remove shine

What about removing the skin from the nail plate as acrylic does not stick to skin no matter gow much primer you use

Even NSI train people to remove cuticle and im not suprised you have not had all client reporting that the nails have lifted.

check the tutorial on prep on this site and it might help you alot more then the woman who showed you how to do nails (or should i say how NOT to do nails)

Good luck xxx

Hello,

Straight away I can see that you are not prepping the way I and other would, I imagine this is down to different training.

But what I personally do is:

1. Put cuticle remover on each nail, leave them for a minute.
2. Then get to work on each nail, using a cuticle pushie and a curette to gently scrape the nail plate and remove all the dead skin and gently pushing back and excess cuticle that has grown up the nail. You will be showked by the gunk and crap that yu get off of teh nail at this point!
3. I then wash my hands as does the client.

4. Then I take a white buffing block to gently remove the shine.
5. I then use a hands down pad soaked with Scrubfresh (Dehydrator.) which I I use on each nail, scrubbing with the pad throughly.

Nails are then prepped and ready for l&p application.

HTH?
Miss B.

cheeky kim said:
right ok
  1. first i buff the nail over to get rid of any of the oil and buff in the lines of the grown nail extension,
  2. then ill put some primer on the nail plate,
  3. once i have done both hands i will get my L&P,
  4. i put my L&P on all the nails making sure its the right thickness on all the nail and trying to get the acrylic as close as possible to the cuticle,
  5. once all nails have been done i will file done the sides of each nail, shaping as well,
  6. after using the hand file on the sides i use the electric file on the top to smooth over the nail and to get the perfect thickness,
  7. after one hand i will buff over to get a shine and put cuticle oil over each nail,
  8. then do the other hand.
is there anything that anyone thinks i am doing wrong. this is how ive been taught to do all my sets.

HELP!!!

kim xXx

Hello there,

From reading this you haven't mentioned anything about pushing back and removing the cuticles or dehydrating the nail plate at all.

If you have ANY cuticle - non living tissue on your nail plate - then you will have major probs.

Do as the other geeks said and go to tutorials and look at prep (or if this word prep has come up blue with underscoring then clic on it and yourl go straight to it).

This tutorial by gmg is FAB..... I read it and it really really helped me, and probably hundreds of others of us! It's easy to follow too.

Prep is so very important.

Good luck with this..... by the way, I had MAJOR problems with lifting... til I was sobbing.... I don't say I'm great yet, but I'm getting there, so I know Exactly how you feel.... good luck u. x

that a girl MISS B X

yep well said miss biscuit.

Defo your prep by the sounds of things hun. I think NSI teach to do DRY MANICURES.

Amb x

A+ For Kirsten And Miss Biscuit Lol

cheeky kim said:
right ok

I would apply EZ Flow's cuticle fade away first and then use my pro pusher to gently lift the cuticle so i can then remove any skin that has stuck to the nail plate as it grows down. This is the pterygium (if i've spelled it right) This has to be done thoroughly or your product will lift.
I would use a high grit file, so its soft to gently file the shine off the plate, but you need to do it in the direction of growth, from cuticle to free edge as the nail has natural grooves in it and this helps to get into them. Only do this once or you will start to remove nail plate.
  1. then ill put some primer on the nail plate,
I would use a de-hydrater to take off any dust that you may have and to remove any oil left on the nail plate that is produced naturally by the nail. Then do the primer.
  1. once i have done both hands i will get my L&P,
  2. i put my L&P on all the nails making sure its the right thickness on all the nail and trying to get the acrylic as close as possible to the cuticle,
When you put the product in zone 3 ( cuticle area) you need to leave about 1 millimetre between product and cuticle. You must also make sure you press the product down and angle it so it tapers off to the natural line of the nail as it comes out of the cuticle area. (hope this makes sense) Not pressing down firmly enough will defo cause the product to lift.
  1. once all nails have been done i will file done the sides of each nail, shaping as well,
  2. after using the hand file on the sides i use the electric file on the top to smooth over the nail and to get the perfect thickness,
I'm not really against efiles, but if you apply product well enough, you use your brush to shape the product so little fileing is needed. This does take alot of practise so don't worry you will get there.
  1. after one hand i will buff over to get a shine and put cuticle oil over each nail,
  2. then do the other hand.
I would personally apply products to all ten nails and do all ten when fileing then buff to a shine, but its what you prefer that counts. We are all shown the good or best way to apply products and do everything. You must find your own way to do this sometimes, but one thing you must get correct, is your product ratio.
If you work too wet, there will be more shrinkage which can also cause lift, or too dry can cause the product to become brittle and also lift, so its a fine line between getting it wrong and getting it right.

HELP!!!

kim xXx

I hope this all makes sense and i haven't made you feel bad. I'm only telling you from my experience with having trouble with lifting what i do that has helped me. I still ocassionally have my bad days so don't worry we have all been there.

HTH's:D

Just wanted to clarify something here folks.....

Eponychium - the skin fold around the top of the nail, living tissue that should not be abused, (often mistakenly called cuticle) is also referred to as the proximal nail fold

Cuticle - a thin layer of non living tissue that grows across the nail plate, can safely be removed. If product is applied over cuticle it will not adhere not matter what!!

Pterygium - often misunderstood, is a nail disorder where the eponychium becomes fused to the nail plate and grows out with it. Can NOT be removed, as it is living tissue and will bleed profusly..

Pterygium can also be confused with the Perionychium (which as GMG explains it) "is a broad term for 'all the freaking skin around the nail' which includes lateral folds, eponychium and the hyponychium (even the nail bed depending on what paper you are reading)."

Sorry to hijack the thread, but without clarification PREP is hard to explain properly.

Ah Envy you get there before me lol!

The main thing I found stopped my lifting was scrubbing with scrubfresh (or you brand equivalent) for 5 seconds on each nail once they are fully prepped as above. But don;t soak your pad with it as it could actually have the opposite effect, it just needs to be dampened with it.

I only use cuticle remover on really stubborn cuticles, and always on new clients. They should be using their cuticle oil daily which will help to stop it growing back, and will eventually soften any really hard eponychium which is usually bad with serial nail biters, you should not try and remove this area, just keep your product clear of it. But maybe til you get the lifting sussed use remover every time. BUT make sure you fully remove it before applying your primer as any residue will cause lifting.

Also be careful when you are finishing, do not exert a lot of pressure when you file as it can cause product breakdown - if you have Doug Schoon's book it explains this, and other areas such as why your ratio is important, in detail (if you haven;t it then add it to your library, it will become a bible).

Also look at the tutorial on application in zone 3, it may be that you are not pressing hard enough with your brush when you apply your l&p (acrylic).

Finally when applying gel, make sure that you really work your bonding layer into the nail so it effectively works its way into all the miniscule nooks and crannies of the nail and gives a really strong bond.

Hey Cheeky Kim....................isn't this site brilliant?

hope we havent frightened you away Kim

Well it seems you've pretty much had the answers that I would have given - I would just say check your prep - what do you use and in what order? Also, just being nosey - where did you train hun?

Kate xx

Oh Sass :)

12 hours ahead of ya... lol .. you sleep, I answer posts ;)

Latest posts

Back