Megamix nails. Create your own gel polish colours with eyeshadows, nail polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a fab product especially for the clients who love their own polish colours but can now have the longevity of a gel polish.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Would this be easier, than say, custom blending Brisa Lite smoothing gel with pigments? Or is it a similar method? :)

Sent from my iPhone 5S using SalonGeek mobile app

Do you have to use the Megamix Base and Top coats? Or could you use (say) Shellac base coat and Top Coat instead if you already have them?

Also, one other question, when you buy the product, do you get full instructions on the quantities to use when mixing to get the best results? I couldn't see them on the website.

Sounds good to me too, i have loads of polishes that are not being used, i will be watching this!

Just keeping my eye on the post lots of questions that I will answer when get a second :lol:

Van I just ask what the difference would be to mixing this glitter and pigments than just applying them to the tacky layer and encapsulating them in top coat?

I lile the idea of the product, just worried it might work out to be an added cost and time for aspects like this.

I lobe the idea u can mix it with normal varnish though :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Would this be easier, than say, custom blending Brisa Lite smoothing gel with pigments? Or is it a similar method? :)

Megamix is very similar to brisa lite and one of the great advantages is that it turns your gel polish into a power gel polish ( in much the same way) by perhaps adding an additional clear brush on coat of megamix underneath or over the top of you colour ( adding strength without bulk)
The advantage of megamix is that you are not limited to just pigment you can use regular nail polish too and even coloured acrylic powder, almost anything that has a colour.

Do you have to use the Megamix Base and Top coats? Or could you use (say) Shellac base coat and Top Coat instead if you already have them?

Also, one other question, when you buy the product, do you get full instructions on the quantities to use when mixing to get the best results? I couldn't see them on the website.

megamix is compatible with 99.9% of gels available on the market ( i have yet to discover one that it doesn't work with)
so if your lovng your shellac base or top then go with that

but for optimum results it would be best to use the system as a whole especially when mixing with polish.

If you for go the base and top apply a thin clear layer of megamix under and over your polish mix to sandwich it in so the mixed gel is sealed in.

need to upload instruction on the website, here they are for you to see.

they are more guide lines than instructions because everything and everyone works slightly differently
but they are a good reference point

P.R.E.P.
PUSH BACK the cuticle and side walls to expose maximum nail surface.
REMOVE & REFINE any existing product and refine the shape.
EXFOLIATE remove shine with soft buffer.
PRIME scrub with prep solution, to remove dust, oil, dirt, and contaminants.

PRODUCT RATIO
Each and every item that you add to your Mega Mix will react differently and the exciting thing about it is the diverse effects that you will be able to create using this super versatile product. You can mix it with anything, ( well almost anything ) and the more you mix it the more you will unlock it's potential. Below are a few guidelines to help you start mixing.
Always start with a 50%-50% ratio and then work form there. Some polishes are more heavily pigmented than others so judge it accordingly or you may only require a sheer cover effect. When working with dark colours you may find you need to use more polish. You can work up to a maximum of 80% polish and it will still work, but you must be sure to apply the product very thinly and build up in layers to allowing the thin framework of gel to cure.
With glitter the rules are the same 50%-50% the more glitter you add the heavier look you will get. Do not overload the gel as it will then be hard to apply and give you a rough surface cure , just keep adding until the consistency feels right .
Remember every layer of gel you apply adds strength making the nail stronger and more durable.
Acrylic powder mixes well with the gel if you want to create a customized nail plate cover pink again start at 50%-50% and that should work just fine.
Pigment depending on the brand if it is pure is best to air on the side of caution a little goes a long way so add a little at first ( you can always add more)
Do not just think you can only add one thing you can mix it all up add glitter and pigment glitter and polish polish and pigment it's all up to you.
Providing you sandwich your cured mixes between a great foundation 'Amazin Base' and seal with a good top coat 'Amaze Glaze' then you will ensure perfect results every time.

GLITTER
Take a small amount of Mega Mix gel (enough for your project) and put it in a pot or onto a piece of foil or sculpting form paper. Mix in your desired glitter, enough to create the desired effect. Work on approximate 50/50 ratio. You don't want to overload the gel so it is impossible to apply but you also don't want to not add enough so that you have to put 5 coats on to get any effect.
It is important to mix the gel with the glitter as this creates a holographic suspended effect, if you just scatter glitter onto the inibition layer left by the base coat the gel will not become as reflective and shiny so it's best to mix.
Apply your freshly made glitter gel to your prepared and base coated nails and cure ( repeat as required)

PIGMENT
Take a small amount of Mega Mix gel (enough for your project) and put it in a pot or onto a piece of foil or sculpting form paper. Mix in your desired pigment, enough to create the desired effect. work on approximate 15% pigment 85% gel ratio. You don't want to overload the gel ( pigment tends to be very dry and a little goes along way, you do not want the gel to become cake like so it is impossible to apply but you also don't want to not add enough so that you have to put 5 coats on to get any effect.
It is important to mix only the amount of gel u need for each set of nails, pigment in gel left over a long period of time can cause the gel to break down and go gluey
Apply your freshly made pigment gel to your prepared and base coated nails and cure ( repeat as required)

POLISH
Take a small amount of Mega Mix gel (enough for your project) and put it in a pot or onto a piece of foil or sculpting form paper. mix in your desired nail polish , enough to create the desired effect. Always start with 50-50 in the case of dark colours you can go up to 20% gel 80% polish but this must be applied super thin. You don't want to overload the gel so it does not cure but you want to add enough polish to create a good colour coverage. It may take up to three or four thin layers to create the same polish effect, just keep layering up the product until your happy with the result curing at each stage.

FINISH
Finish all nail styles by applying a coat of Amaze Glaze UV/LED gel top coat, and cure.
Wipe cured nails with a lint free pad saturated in weak alcohol solution to remove the inhibition layer and reveal your amazing shiny nails.

Other MEGA MIX gel uses
Apply MEGA MIX after your gel polish of choice Shellac, Gelish, Artistic Colour Gloss, Biosculpture etc as an added strength coat or to build an arch to give structure and strength to slightly longer nails. Cure and finish with top coat or wipe and refine before applying topcoat.
MEGA MIX and Amaze Glaze have a 30 second cure time in LED 2 mins in regular UV.

REMOVAL
To remove break the seal using a coarse grit file,remove any bulk product.Wrap up in foil with cotton pads soaked in acetone.

Van I just ask what the difference would be to mixing this glitter and pigments than just applying them to the tacky layer and encapsulating them in top coat?

I lile the idea of the product, just worried it might work out to be an added cost and time for aspects like this.

I lobe the idea u can mix it with normal varnish though :)

its just an alternative method of application and doesnt really take that much more time once you get the hang of it,
when you mix the glitter with the megamix it becomes suspended so you get more of a snowglobe effect of glitter and gel as a pose to a crust of glitter with behind glass.

Neither method is wrong or right its just about the effect you want to achieve, if you want a subtle glitter effect it's hard to regulate how you sprinkle it and so brushing it on is easier.

one thing to note though is that top coat is usually less permiable than megamix and so harder to soak off ( its designed that way to give afinal hard coat and it's necasarry to ensure high shine) and that is why it is sometimes recomended to break the seal on a top coat gel before soaking) megamix is softer and easier to soak off which is why i would use it as an alternative to top coat.

mixing with varnish is where the magic happens :)

Okay so i think that is all the questions answered.
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, there is just lots of buzz that i'm trying to keep up with. :)

Sounds like a fab product especially for the clients who love their own polish colours but can now have the longevity of a gel polish.

one of my tester salons does just this he adverizes the fact you can have any coour matched and his clients all bring their own polish in ( saves him having to but them too :) )

Martin how does the base go on? Is it just painted or does it have to be kind of "scrubbed in" to the nail. The megamix itself I think you said to paint in thin layers if it is mixed with polish, but you mentioned it can be also used to build the arch. So can it be used like a builder gel or is it better worked in thinner layers? How many layers do you use to add strength if not mixing the product?
Sorry for all the questions :lol:

must say I think this has been a long time coming. it was one of the questions I asked when I first trained last year was can I sandwich polish between gel coats in which i was told no, so I'm pleased there is now an official product in which you can actually do this! Will definately be trying some soon!!!

Will this be launched at excel?

must say I think this has been a long time coming. it was one of the questions I asked when I first trained last year was can I sandwich polish between gel coats in which i was told no, so I'm pleased there is now an official product in which you can actually do this! Will definately be trying some soon!!!

Anonwa, thank you for your comment, hope you get some and have a play, it is great for mixing and sandwiching but its also great for loads of other stuff, it does everyting a regular gel does( apart for sculpting) and so much more.

like aromatherapist use sweet almond oil as a carrier for their essential oils, Megamix is like a carrier for all your nail art media.

look forward to your order and seeing what you think :lol:

Martin how does the base go on? Is it just painted or does it have to be kind of "scrubbed in" to the nail. So can it be used like a builder gel or is it better worked in thinner layers? How many layers do you use to add strength if not mixing the product?

Karen 872
I have tried to limit the rigidity of application to allow freedom of expression! if you apply it like any gel system that you are using and get great results form then you will get great results form this. I tend to do different things on different people to customize their wants and needs.

if you have a virgin nail client and their nail is very shiney i would remove the surface shine paying particular attention to side walls and cuticle area and scrub with your prep, then i would apply a very thin coat with a very dry brush and as you say scrub it in to all 4 nails, then before curing i would dip back in and do a more polish like application. and cure ( so the scrubbing ensures adhesion) and the second coat ensures a smooth foundation)

If you were replacing removed gels or gel polsih and the nails were a little dehydrated or a little rough anyway i would maybe stroke over withthe buffer wipe with prep and just apply like polish with a little bit of added presure.

I have tried all ways not buffing the nail buffing the nail slightly removing the shine scrubbing in, gliding over, and the results were pretty much the same, it worked and stayed well.

I think it just makes sence to scrub it in ( nails are like fish scales so good ahesion means getting it all in there)
but the better you get it on the harder it is to remove, so if your client changes her polish every 2 weeks dont scrub so hard, if she is going scuba diving for three weeks in the madieves in and out of water scrub a little harder and if she is a nurse who just want gel polish for 5 days before she goes back to work just glide it over.

Megamix is just the maximum versatility vehicle for you to create what you want to create :)

The megamix itself I think you said to paint in thin layers if it is mixed with polish, but you mentioned it can be also used to build the arch.

If you are mixin git with polish it needs to be aplied thin to alow the polish to dry adn for the thin framework of gel to be created adn allow the uv or led light to penitrate in the same way thatyou apply gelish or shelac thin if you aply it too thick it crease.

when the gel is clear you can apply it thicker because the luv /led light penetrates easily ( does not have to fight through the pigment) so you can a ford to go thicker.

when i say build and arch i don't mean construction but say your client has a spoon nail or because your reagular gel polish shrinks back or your application is not so good you end up with a ridge at the end or a dip at the apex aply a coat of megamix at the end( after colour but before top coat adn just brush it on 3 strokes and then withthe final coat tease it and stop in the center and pull it up so it creates a curve ( arch) as a pose to a dip jus ttease it slightly like the electricity of the dogem car just bearely touching and teasing) and then put it in the lamp

So can it be used like a builder gel or is it better worked in thinner layers?

it's got quite a fluid consistency ( like gel polish) so not good for building if you built an arch you would have to cure ( or else your arch on nail one would be a pancake by the time you get to nail 4!) so build it up in layers, for thin nails 2-3 brush on coats wiht base and top over a short tip say, for gel polish maybe one coat after the base before the polish.

How many layers do you use to add strength if not mixing the product?
how thick are your layers 3 thin layers or 2 medium layers you need to check the asthetic and the clients lifestyle, we are not making huge talons we are just doing sports lenght manicure style gel polish application with the added boost of strength

If you did your regular gel polish and youget to the end and discover it is too thin what do you do?????

with megamix you can create you strenght and structure over or under your colour.

you need to suck it and see what works for you

it sounds like I'm being vague, but every client and every set of nails i do is different adn i lear as i'm goign along and customize,

sometimes i put an extra base coat on ( it has a slight opaqu ridge filler quality so a perfect base for colours) and somtimes i do extra coats on the first finger and thumb becasue they are more hard working than the pinkie or ring finger.

Get some and try it and i'll talk you through it, and then what i am saying will all make senece :)

Will this be launched at excel?

Its launched and available now from the website megamixnails.com

I will not have a stand at excel but hope to be there in person networking and answering any questions. I was thinking more of a viral approach with videos and forums and people uploading their mixes and recipes, I've created it and mixed it and now it's your turn to mix it up, tell me what you can do with it what you found works which polishes are great which are not so great, what you love what you hate.

Build a community of megamixers all mixing it up.:lol:

What is it like removing? How long does it take? Thanks

What is it like removing? How long does it take? Thanks

It' really good, if you are removing a polish mix it is quite fast.

It depends how you layer it up if it's slightly thicker because you have built it up for strength then it will take a bit longer.

I would say for a basic thin gel polish style application, buff over ( you don't have to because the acetone will penetrate the to coat) but i do it out of habit
wrap them up and check them at five minuets and have a see how your doing give them a little scrape, and then re wrap and it should be off easily under the ten minuet mark.

I hate to give a specific time becase there are so many influencing factors, is it hot is it cold are the nails thick are the nails thin did it go on a virgin nail or did it go on to a slightly more broken down nail plate ( to which the product may adhere more keenly )

if i have any excess bulk ( if they were nails that had been filled and a little more built up so 6-8 weeks old) I file that down a bit or zip over with a drill and then wrap.

All in all it's relatively easy and speedy.:lol:

It sounds like it's from superdrug...

Sent from my BatPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I can assure you if it is made and invented by Martin then its much classer and professional then superdrug....
I assume Martin isn't a name you are familiar with in this industry yet....you should be

Latest posts

Back