More ways to promote your business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to be picking up my new advertising on Friday.

My salon is just off the main busy stretch of shops. So, I've ordered some smart short sleeved Black shirts and had the name of the salon and tbe telephone number embroidered in White on the back between the shoulders, The proof pictures look great, smart and professional.

The plan is when I'm out walking around for lunch, or shopping, my back will be seen.

I'll let you know if it works lol

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hiya! Where did u get your t-shirts printed? I am literally just starting out & need to get clients!

Hiya! Where did u get your t-shirts printed? I am literally just starting out & need to get clients!

I've inboxed you :)

I've not contributed to this thread yet - but I've implemented lots of the steps that you guys have recommended. Here's a few that I came up with too. Some have had more success than others but all ways of getting your name out there.

-- I emailed all my local slimming world / weight watchers reps and asked if I could give them some promotional leaflets with an introductory offer than customer could claim 10% off their first appointment if they had achieved a milestone within that month. You can't go into the classes and hand them out - but you can give them to the reps.

-- I went into all my local childrens play centres and asked if I could leave some leaflets in their lunch areas / on the front desk.

-- I went into all my local coffee shops, bars, cafes and asked if I could leave some leaflets on their counters.

-- I went to all my old places of work and left them on the notice boards / toilet doors etc. (with permission - non salon jobs only).

-- I got posters made and had them put in mine, my partners, my dads, my mums and my granddads car.

-- I got t-shirts made to wear for work so that when shopping / walking home people saw the brand name etc.

-- I went round all the local bingo halls and asked if they minded me handing out a promotional leaflet to each person. I offered them 10% off appointments on a Tuesday (as this is my quiet day and also the night they mostly go to bingo).

-- I made up around 80 promotional goody bags containing a few bobbles, hair grips, shampoo sample and a leaflet and business card. Then when we had a local music festival I got the marketing license needed for my town centre and handed them out to everyone at the festival. It was a great way to get talking to people and let them know I was around. It also got me talking to two bar owners who said I could put leaflets in their places which I have now done. The total cost was around £40 to make the bags and get the license.

-- Went round all my local pubs/carverys/resteraunts and left leaflets on their display boards and in their staffrooms.

-- I sent a letter to a local youth unemployment group saying that if their users managed to successfully secure a second interview, a work placement or an actual job - then I would give them a cut and blow dry for a reduced price to make them look and feel smart for back to work. This then introduced them to me and therefore when they started getting paychecks and wanted to spoil themselves - it was me they thought of coming too.

-- I carried leaflets and cards on me at all times and made sure my friends did the same, since I do most of their hair. Whenever we go out for meals / nights out etc. and someone comments on our hair - we have a chat with them and then give them a business card. Then after the night out etc. - when pictures are going on facebook. We tag the bar that they were took in and write something like "Such a good night at xxx. Lucky we all looked so fabulous thanks to our new hairdo's. Thanks #" and tag my salon. that way all of the bars likers/friends see the salon tag and might come to the salon.

Phew! Long post. Hope some of that helps xx

OH - I also gave all my friends and family some business cards / leaflets / posters to put up in their places of work. This ranges from vets / nurseries / colleges / pcworld. Most of them have put them in their staff rooms or on the front desks. Even when they are just in the staff room it gets some exposure.

I also got the free moo business card samples (you get 10 free) laminated them, hole punched them and put them on little key chains. I got the cards printed to say that it was a 10% off card if you and a friend book an appointment for the same day (valid for 6 months). I 'randomly' selected 10 friends to give them to and advised them that they can keep them or give them to somebody else if they wanted to. I chose friends who have a high amount of disposable income a month who work in very people-centric environments and live slightly further away than other friends and customers - to give them an incentive to travel to me. For example - I gave one to an old work colleague who lives around 8 miles away in a different town - but drives. Her and two friends all booked in to come and have their highlights done in the salon on the same day - and get their nails done at the place down the road while they were waiting for each other. Including tips and retail I got around £220 of custom from that one visit and because they can use it 1/2 more times before it runs out and they enjoyed the visit they've all rebooked.

Last edited:
girly geek well done you! THIS is how ypu get clients, working hard and smart x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Has anyone ever paid to advertise on TaskHub?

I have, paid £10,for a 30 day listing. Just thought I would trial them, see what they are like, what they can offer and see if they can boost our company profile or get customers. Seems like a waste of £10!. So personally id stay clear and save your money! but then again, it may one of them ones where you have to keep listing for months to a year before anyone targets you. :)

2 days reading this thread and I'm still going!!!

OMG! HELP!!!! I am struggling to put a little email together to small hotels/B+B's and (a separate) email to bridal shops. I'm trying to get my name out there, but I can barely string 2 words together let alone a sentence!

OMG! HELP!!!! I am struggling to put a little email together to small hotels/B+B's and (a separate) email to bridal shops. I'm trying to get my name out there, but I can barely string 2 words together let alone a sentence!

Look on the very first page of this thread, there's some wording there x

I havent got anything to add unfortunately as am just starting out and its going slowly, really slowly but hopefully in the next few months I can add something my self

miss Beauty-licious

I havent got anything to add unfortunately as am just starting out and its going slowly, really slowly but hopefully in the next few months I can add something my self

miss Beauty-licious

Keep going miss Beauty-licious it takes time & a lot of hard work of constant promoting & advertising. It will happen if you work at it :D

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Here's one for you. So, I had the roe from itison (like groupon) round. We've worked out a great deal, and I'm keen to press on. However, their fee is something like 30%+ VAT. Now, I'm not VAT registered and I've told her this. Hubby says they can't charge me VAT, as I'd now have to pass that charge onto my customers. Surely not? I pay VAT on my consumables.

Here's one for you. So, I had the roe from itison (like groupon) round. We've worked out a great deal, and I'm keen to press on. However, their fee is something like 30%+ VAT. Now, I'm not VAT registered and I've told her this. Hubby says they can't charge me VAT, as I'd now have to pass that charge onto my customers. Surely not? I pay VAT on my consumables.

Your hubby is wrong. You can't charge VAT as you're not VAT registered so therefore you have to absorb the 30% + VAT charge yourself.

Your hubby is wrong. You can't charge VAT as you're not VAT registered so therefore you have to absorb the 30% + VAT charge yourself.

I'm just not gonna tell him I'm absorbing it. I think this is going to be a great way to get a potential client base. The fact I'm offering facials is getting my relatively unknown, and awesome, facial brand out there.

Thank you for confirming what I thought xx

I'm just not gonna tell him I'm absorbing it. I think this is going to be a great way to get a potential client base. The fact I'm offering facials is getting my relatively unknown, and awesome, facial brand out there.

Thank you for confirming what I thought xx

Just be careful as these style of groupon discounts never get a client base. Just brand awareness. You generally make slim to none profit and attract all the bargain hunters with no loyalty.

Totally agree with BP. Think very carefully about the deal you are offering and the cost to your business.
I found people wanted to book with lots of notice, cancel with none, and still be able to rebook and use their vouchers!

You can usually add provisos such as booking in the same week only, 24 hours notice or voucher is spent, adding an upgrade that they have to pay for etc!

Having said all that, I wouldn't do it again!

Vicki x

Just be careful as these style of groupon discounts never get a client base. Just brand awareness. You generally make slim to none profit and attract all the bargain hunters with no loyalty.

Agreed!
I would never do groupon type deals for anything other than filling very very quiet periods not with the hope of customer retention. The groupon customers don't stick around, they move on to the next deal after they have finished with you, in fact i think it possibly ends up doing more harm to small businesses than good.

Therapists who do these deals are often inundated with customers leaving no time for their own clients because they are stuck doing the deal clients all the time. Little to no profit is made either. Then the customer moves on to the next deal.

I do wahanda which is slightly different in that it doesn't force you to discount anything but takes 20% of the treatment price. Most of my treatments are £20-£30 so it's not a lot really.

miss Beauty-licious

As long as your moving forward, is doesn't matter if it's really slowly, we all started that way :)

Keep getting your name out there and really look after the clients you get, THEY will bring you more clients via recommendations - keep pushing forward x

How can I word an email to a bridal shop? Struggling with this one. My USP is that I offer shrinking violet and glycopeel facials. Help!!! Please!!!!! xxx

Latest posts

Back