More ways to promote your business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello

I am new on here.. found you through trying to get my makeup business off the ground,,,,, i'm struggling at the moment and need as much help possible yet a friend of mine is blooming .....

What does your friend (who is blooming, which is a beautiful way to put it) do? If she's doing something a little different than you, then maybe you could promote each other.

Sunni

So, I want to get more email addresses.
I'd like to send newsletters, although I don't know what to send?

If I put on my Facebook a little status saying to private message their email addresses to me, and they'll get a Christmas gift.
Which I was thinking could be a free conditioning treatment with a cut and finish or colour and maybe a little take home treatment? I think Fudge do a small sachet?

What do you think? Good offer? Will it get people in in January and February?

I also want to do a blog, but need some inspiration?!

Hi Grace_Hair,

For email newsletters, the term "newsletter" itself is what throws off most people. The term is still commonly used, yet sending out news isn't what most people want most of the time.

Instead, tell personal stories. Big companies don't do it because they usually don't want to feature any particular person in their companies. So it's a big advantage you have as a solo service provider.

A great formula I learned is Entertain, Educate, Offer. You intro your email with a personal story (a few short paragraphs) and then say "And that's sort of like haircutting..." You can make that transition in countless ways. The point is to give them a valuable, actionable nugget of education. And then you can transition into making an offer if you want.

As for the blog, you can post your emails to your blog. That's valuable content, so why not archive it publicly?

Does that help?

Sunni

My friend runs a hair salon, she got an app produced really well. She promotes through it, and says it's the best way to market these days. The guys who did it (oappso.com) made my website (makeup). Hope this helps.

My friend runs a hair salon, she got an app produced really well. She promotes through it, and says it's the best way to market these days. The guys who did it (oappso.com) made my website (makeup). Hope this helps.
Wow that's expensive! Does it generate a lot of business? Enough to justify the cost?

Wow that's expensive! Does it generate a lot of business? Enough to justify the cost?
She says she's getting way more bookings through now (easier on an app), and I guess people must book more often, she also promotes through it.

More and more salons are getting apps now, I honestly thought apps were way cheaper than that too, but apparently bespoke apps can cost from
3-100k, so her ones actually cheap at 99 monthly. o_O

Also make sure that you're posting credit card acceptance stickers on your windows to reminder passers-by that you accept credit cards, like Discover, Visa, MC, Amex, JCB, UnionPay, etc.

great!! I am also using innovative ideas for business promotions.

Have you tried direct Facebook messaging?

Find a club or group in your area and look at the list of members and send them a message about what you offer!

You can send about 20 per day before Facebook warns about spam. Works really well for us!

I know you posted this years ago lol but I am just reading through this thread. How do you do this exactly?

I know you posted this years ago lol but I am just reading through this thread. How do you do this exactly?
The geek you have quoted hasn't been on the site for over 2 years I'm afraid.

Hi all,

I´d like to ask for your help and your honest opinion and I may have an answer for promoting your business!

I was approached by a fellow colleague of mine recently who has a grand idea of building an online platform where we could showcase our portfolios. I am new to the Boston area, where I am currently working and I have been having difficulties getting noticed and obtaining consistent clients.

Now, it seems like a lot of you take pictures of your work and share it but for me it´s especially important to do that to show my clients what I can do, whether is balayage or color correction. I have had some of my pictures stolen previously so now I make sure they are in a way distinct by a watermark on in squares with before and after altogether. My colleague and friend is working on a platform in a way kind of like Instagram or Facebook where your photos (that you took yourself) can be showcased to potential clients in your area. I thought it was actually useful as I find it difficult to promote myself through social media whilst maintaining control over my work. I have so many times been asked to replicate a style from Pinterest, something that is often severely edited and I just wish they have had a look at my portfolio first to see if it is something I am capable of doing.

I feel like this is a problem for many but obviously I may be wrong. I have decided to help my friend so that he can help me. We made a quick questionnaire to see if the platform is worth our time and recourses.

It does not contain any advertising or promotion of any kind. It is rather a way for us to decide what to concentrate on if we were to continue with the project. The project itself is aimed to help us as hairstylists connect with new clients and promote our work.
We would really appreciate an honest opinion!
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

I´d like to ask for your help and your honest opinion and I may have an answer for promoting your business!

I was approached by a fellow colleague of mine recently who has a grand idea of building an online platform where we could showcase our portfolios. I am new to the Boston area, where I am currently working and I have been having difficulties getting noticed and obtaining consistent clients.

Now, it seems like a lot of you take pictures of your work and share it but for me it´s especially important to do that to show my clients what I can do, whether is balayage or color correction. I have had some of my pictures stolen previously so now I make sure they are in a way distinct by a watermark on in squares with before and after altogether. My colleague and friend is working on a platform in a way kind of like Instagram or Facebook where your photos (that you took yourself) can be showcased to potential clients in your area. I thought it was actually useful as I find it difficult to promote myself through social media whilst maintaining control over my work. I have so many times been asked to replicate a style from Pinterest, something that is often severely edited and I just wish they have had a look at my portfolio first to see if it is something I am capable of doing.

I feel like this is a problem for many but obviously I may be wrong. I have decided to help my friend so that he can help me. We made a quick questionnaire to see if the platform is worth our time and recourses.

It does not contain any advertising or promotion of any kind. It is rather a way for us to decide what to concentrate on if we were to continue with the project. The project itself is aimed to help us as hairstylists connect with new clients and promote our work.
We would really appreciate an honest opinion!
Thank you!
If your already struggling is a new platform that no one knows about really a good thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! what a great idea! The last thing a bride wants to do is think of ONE MORE thing that needs to be found and done!

How does this work the package?

wow u got some great ideas, im going to check out the websites you've recommended, thanks,

does anyone know how i can set up a website for a reasonable small price, as i havent got a clue where to start, any help would be appreciated, thanks

:D

Hey did you ever set up a website? I have used weebly to set up mine its free.

I need to read this!

Fantastic!!

I was wondering if anyone thought this was a good idea: go into schools (16+ ages) to do talks on skincare and tanning etc? I personally am rubbish at talks but others might benefit from promoting their businesses? Also could work in teachers staff rooms or workplaces where they can get a lot of people together maybe. What do you all think?

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

This sounds like a great idea I might do this. I suppose I would wonder would teachers say yes though as it isn't really booksmart educational but its worth an ask

What about setting up classes in the salon and have them come to you - and maybe bring Mum with them too.
I was thinking about doing this like have a kind of event where people came and got champaign and a goody bag and a free make up lesson. I always doubt my make up skills though, Those young ones have way better skills than me lol.

oh im so glad! i am doing a deal with kbgdeals, hopefully next week it will go live and i'm a bit worried i wont get anything from it! which i desperately neeeeeeed!!
what is kbgdeals?

oh im so glad! i am doing a deal with kbgdeals, hopefully next week it will go live and i'm a bit worried i wont get anything from it! which i desperately neeeeeeed!!
what is kbgdeals?

Kbgdeals was like Groupon. I'm not sure if it's still going or not x

Hi guys I have just started reading from the start and can't thank you all enough for your contribution! I was really feeling quite defeated.... not now I have 3 A4 pages of ideas baby!

I did want to ask one question though: (I apologise if this has been asked) I love the idea of prize draws and raffles. But what do I charge the clubs and organisations? Or do I give them for free? If so what would I give ( I'm a hair stylist ).... And would anyone really come back after just a blow dry? I struggle with the freeloaders who have no intention of coming back!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back