natural nail strenghtener?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuise.e

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend how I can help my nails!!
I decided to soak off my enhancements today (eek) after nearly 3 months of butchering myself as my own guinea pig, my nails (well most of them)are quite long. The free edge is so thin it's practically transparent.
would it be best to put a coat of clear acrylic over them or use a nail strenghener? (I've got nail envy) or anything else?

I have done this to my nails many times...and what i thought was this..if hair is full of split ends then the damage has already been done...no amount of products are going to fix them back together again..so a good trim to remove them is the only option...i think its the same with nails..if they are good and strong then fine but if they are trashed then just covering them up isn't going to fix em. I would cut them off..(ie remove the damage) and overlay them..even tip them again if you want length..then leave them alone and infill them for as long as possible and the damage on the nail bed will grow out after 5-6 infill's. I just don't think there is any point hanging on to damaged free edge..just use plenty of oil and treat with care and in a few months they will be all gown out.

many will disagree and thats ok...its just the way i see it.

Hi

I've always found exteme or signature good to help strengthen the nails.

Deb379

Thanks guys - I have trimmed them short and they look better already and got a lovely creamy base coat to hide the transparant edge - apart from the free edge the rest of the nails look quite healthy.

yes, i butchered my nails too! we've all done it seems. i've just kept mine really short until the damage has grown out. didn't bother to overlay them as i know i'd only butcher them more when i tried to rebalance. they're almost there now. hopefully i can put some lovely enhancements in time for our geek meet in Brum. toughen up or extreme helps.

Hi, there was a thread similar to this quite recently.

I soaked off my nails about 6 weeks ago and I apply SolarOil daily and change my varnish once a week and use Toughen Up at each varnish change - touch wood, I have not had any breakages.

If you have Nail Envy then use it but make sure you also use your SolarOil daily - this way you get the flexibility rather than just the hardness from the Formaldehyde in the NE.

Check out the Tech Notes on here for the one that Doug Schoon did on Formaldehyde vs DMU.

I was gonna say use creative toughten up too- used my mum for my gel traiing and after i took them off and butchered her a wee bit some of the edges started splitting, but that has really helped.
Luckly I havent been butchering any of my clients yet

Thanks guys - pleased to know I'm not the only who has butchered my own nails - well I needed someone to practice on!!

Latest posts

Back