natural nails... helppp

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesbica

Reaction score
ok, for about 5 years i have had acrylic nails and i have gotten to the point where i just no longer have time doing my own nails and cant bring myself to pay to have someone else do them for me. So, i want to grow them naturally but as you can image they are as thin as paper and have ridges everywhere!!!!

Can you suggest the best way to get them looking nice and healthy as well as strong again :)

thanks!

P.S.I have heard that O.P.I 'Envy' is really good....

Jesbica said:
ok, for about 5 years i have had acrylic nails and i have gotten to the point where i just no longer have time doing my own nails and cant bring myself to pay to have someone else do them for me. So, i want to grow them naturally but as you can image they are as thin as paper and have ridges everywhere!!!!

Can you suggest the best way to get them looking nice and healthy as well as strong again :)

thanks!

P.S.I have heard that O.P.I 'Envy' is really good....

Hi,

I personally would apply fibreglass as a NNO and use a good cuticle oil such as Solar oil.

Lou

oil 3 or 4 times a day, really rub it in and that will boost the circulation and encourage growth. use a glitter top coat to hide any problems until you have a full regrowth of new nail.
stick with it for 6 weeks and you'll be suprised at the outcome.:green:

I agree with Lou.
Apply a thin natural nail overlay to your nails and let them grow out naturally whilst using SolarOil every day to nourish.
The ridges and the thinness of your nails is down to you ... sorry. Bad application and incorrect removal account for this damage ...
At least with a nice thin overlay your nails can grow out naturally and look good at the same time .. that is if you do not pick at them and of course you must rebalance regularly with gentle techniques that do no further damage.

I don't often wear enhancements these days. The main reason I got into nails was beacuse I was a nail biter and 2 years of wearing them helped me stop. But I think I wil always be a picker and end up picking the darned things off with the resultant nail damage.

So i thought I would try an experiment. Do regular manicures and nail products really work? I gave myself a weekly manicure and used Nail Envy original by OPI and daily lashings of cuticle oil. Have to say the first 6 weeks were hell on earth!!! I had to explain to me clients why my nails looked trashed! My nails kept breaking really low as they are quite brittle now (it's an age thing lol!) and I was so tempted to give up. But after about 3 months they were beautiful, and so tough they rarely ever broke and my clients all comented on how great my nails were, and how lucky I was to have lovely strong natural nails .. it wasn't luck it was perseverence and hard work!

I have to say that you can't beat the look of an enhancement as it hides all of natures imperfections, BUT it's a great incentive to my nail biter clients to show that you can give up the habit as I am proof positive.

I too have decided to go back to my natural nails after wearing enhancements for 5 years.

I soaked mine off about 6 weeks ago and they were a great length, they are in great condition and I have just applied Toughen Up when I change my varnish and I use Solar Oil every day. If I get a nick in the side of one then I will either do a thin coat of gel or a fibreglass repair to allow it to grow out.

They are certainly a talking point for my clients as they can answer any doubting thomas's who say that enhancements ruin your natural nails - they just tell them about mine LOL.

A wee while ago in an AP&H class the lecturer was explaining about Nail structure and how some people have strong nails and other have weak nails -
'for example look at Claires strong natural nails- a prime example of how we would all like our nails to look' she said. She then went on to explain how anything applied on top of natural nails would wreck them beyond repair and basically how nail extensions were the spawn of the devil.
'Ahhem! Nail Enhancements do not ruin your nails incompetant nail technicians or removing enhancements yourself ruin your nails' I said
'I beg to differ, nail extensions ruin your nails they take off layers of natural nail making them thin and soft' says the lecturer
'Oh like Claire's nails you mean? I removed her enhancements yesterday after she did some modelling for me' I replied
The lecturer then decided it was time for a break - Loved it!!!!!!
KxxXxx

I do only natural nails and have my new clients come once a week for manicures. I encourage using Solor oil at least twice a day but also use NailTek as a strengthener. Take it from someone who was once a nail biter, it really works. My natural nails are long and strong. I recommend making sure that you keep your nails polished with at least two coats of polish. To me, the polish gives the illusion of thicker nails and makes them feel less flemsy. As far as ridges go, very gently buff the nails once a week with a very soft grit buffer and your solor oil during your manicure. Eventually the ridges will disappear with proper care.
Good luck to ya.
Beth:)

OMG Karol I bet you were so smug when you said that, classic. Game set and match to the orange fish lol!!!

The other thing that is realy good if your nails are quite flimsy / bendy is products with diamond dust in. I use LCN's Diamond Base and love it. It doesn't treat the nails at all but it acts like a suit of armour and stops them bending, it also has a lovely shimmer and is really pretty. I think Nails Inc do one too, not sure of any other brands.

Im back to natural nails and have to say i love nail envy although at the moment i'm on solar oil and toughen up to compare and see how i get on with it. One hadn is really long but the other is very weak and flimsy due to my overfiling.

On my nail biters programme i recomend regular manicures with cuticle oil for my gents and their hands and nails look much improved at the moment.

After 2 years of (almost) constant wearing of "nails" I have too recently removed them and taken care of my natural nails...like Sassy I am a nail biter turned picker! but with slathering on Solar oil and regular filing and buffing of the free edge the improvement has been amazing! (Although now I am wearing a set!!)
almostanangel - buffing of the natural nail should be done once a month especially if the nails are thin and damaged - certainly not once a week as this can thin the nails even more. Grey sides can be used more often to stimulate growth and shine the surface.

HTH

Latest posts

Back